Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Thinking of moving from Windows laptop to Apple's Powerbook

I am a Windows PC user for about 12 years now and I recenty decided to play around the idea of migrating to Apple's Powerbook with Intel Dual Core. I have heard a lot about the compatibility of the two systems and am not sure whether I will have problems after buying Apple's Powerbook with their own OS.

At the moment, I use my laptop as follows:

Hardware: My usual peripheral connections are: Nikon digital camera, wireless mouse from Microsoft, Siemens M34 USB device for connecting and using my cordless landline handset Siemens S440 with Skype, Sandisk USB flash drive, iAudio U2 mp3 player, Motorola Rarz V3 mobile phone, internet connection using dial-up and in wifi hotspots.

Software: My usual software I use are: Office 2003, Acrobat Reader, Skype , MSN Messenger, Firefox, Opera, Windows Media Player, webmail, CA eTrust Internet Security Suite, and various software that I download from the Internet.

Based on the above, could you please let me know whether I should expect any problems if I migrate to an Apple computer? All my friends use Windows PCs and my computer at work is also installed with Windows. My main concern is compatibility of software and hardware rather than getting used to a mac OS. Could you please let me know what you think my most common areas of problems might be?

Thank you

Ilias

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thinking of moving from Windows laptop to Apple's Powerbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thinking of moving from Windows laptop to Apple's Powerbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short, you replace all the software.

In reply to: Thinking of moving from Windows laptop to Apple's Powerbook

So that's not a real problem except the cost and time to find all the replacements.

Yes, there was a mention of running XP on the Mac, but the reason to move the Mac is gone. All the benefits that you have for moving to Mac vansish as you turn it into a PC. It will have all the same issues that had you looking at Apple.

As to hardware, be sure to check if they had the drivers or software ready for your leap.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: In short, you replace all the software.

In reply to: In short, you replace all the software.

Correct, I agree with you. Not interested in a Windows Apple. Just want to make sure that I will still be able to do what I do with my Windows laptop. Use Skype, Acrobat Reader, Office, USB flash drives, Firefox and general computing stuff without having compatibility problems with other Windows users that I send emails, chat, transfer files from mac to windows pc etc.

Collapse -
Just the usual.

In reply to: RE: In short, you replace all the software.

While Apple does all that, what some are surprised about is the Office (or other) software does not install on both Windows and Apple. You need the Apple version or may I suggest http://www.openoffice.org to stop the flow of cash?

Bob

Collapse -
RE: Just the usual

In reply to: Just the usual.

Yes, I have used the OO software before on windows and have a positive mind about it. At about 450 euros for the Microsoft Office 2004 for mac version, OpenOffice is a one-way route. From what I gathered so far, there are no real compromises hardware/software-wise from a switch from Windows to Mac OS

Collapse -
Multilane highway in my view.

In reply to: RE: Just the usual

Not only do I use OO, but I can save in Microsoft's format as well as open such. Given such interoperability may I call it a bit more than one-way?

Also, there is one compromise but it may be worth it. The Apples may not have a driver for what hardware you have, but then again you don't have as many spyware, pest issues.

Bob

Collapse -
RE Multilane highway in my view

In reply to: Multilane highway in my view.

Agree with you. Now that you mentioned spyware and trojans, you reminded me of asking this: Are there internet security suites with anti-spyware, firewall and anti-virus from brands like McAfree, Zonelabs, eTrust, Symantec etc made from mac, and which are the most effective? How is a mac protected in this way? I have never heard of any software that protects macs against these and there is no mention of threats at apple's website unlike with microsoft...

Collapse -
Not to duplicate such a discussion...

In reply to: RE Multilane highway in my view

But the main reason to scan for virus on the Mac is in the case of documents and other files so you find the Windows virus before you send that file out. That is, someone sends you a virus laden file and if you forward it then they claim you are infected. Which is not the case.

The discussion about virus on a Mac is done so please read those.

Bob

Collapse -
Helpful link for those who switch

Collapse -
My .02

Ilias,
as I run through your list of hardware and software, here's what I see.

Nikon - shouldn't be a problem. Connect with the cable and you'll have to fight iPhoto for the pics, if you want some other software to take control of them first. iPhoto is very quick to action whenever a camera is near by.
There are also good card readers of all types for the Mac.

M$ wireless mouse - I have a Kensington, a Logitec, and an M$ wireless. All of them are fine. If you are planning on using your old ones, you may have to go to the web and download the software that programs all the buttons, but none of it is hard to find, and all of it is easy to install.

Siemens M34 - Never heard of it. Siemens yes, USB land line, Huh?

S440/Skype - Again, Huh?

Sandisk - You'll never have a problem with the Mac, it'll read just about any format. Format it for the PC, so they can still deal with it.

iAudio - May or may not work with iTunes, as Steve tries to keep from mixing Apples and ...anything it seems, when it comes to music. I'll bet it will still connect and transfer files though, even if iTunes doesn't want to play.

V3 Razor - A buddy of mine has one, and says ''no problem''.

Dial up - Huh? just kidding. No problem on modems or wifi. You will be amazed at how easy wifi, and networking in general, can be.

As for your software, it's easier to just list the problem children. All the rest have pretty much transparent solutions.

I still don't know what Skype is. Knowing that there's a software version didn't help.

Windows Media Player for Mac is frozen at 9.0 I think. Also it only plays files. No edit, record, or encode. There is a program called ''Flip4Mac'' that gives Quicktime the power to do all of this, in most situations.

CA eTrust - Stumped me again!

In answer to your last question, the most common problem is learning that you shouldn't abuse the extra free time you have (not running virus/spyware scans/patches/etc.) by making fun of your friends who can't come out to play because they have a virus. The joy is only momentary, and it's considered impolite (mostly by windows users for some reason, but they out number us, so be careful).

Hope to see ya around!

Lampietheclown

Collapse -
Fighting iPhoto w/USB

In reply to: My .02

Quote: "Nikon - shouldn't be a problem. Connect with the cable and you'll have to fight iPhoto for the pics, if you want some other software to take control of them first. iPhoto is very quick to action whenever a camera is near by."

To stop iPhoto from launching when a USB camera is connected, all you need to do is to go into Applications, open Image Capture, then go to Preferences and you can tell the Mac what you want it to do when you plug in any USB device. You can choose the Mac to automatically launch iPhoto, Image Capture, Photoshop, etc. It's a pretty cool option and not many know about it.

Dan

Collapse -
RE:Fighting iPhoto w/USB

In reply to: Fighting iPhoto w/USB

Thanks for your help and comments. Have been helpful.

Collapse -
RE: My .02

In reply to: My .02

Thanks for your comments and advise. Really helpful and very enjoyable to read! The more I think it over, the more I think a macbook pro is the way to go. Just want to wait for 6-12 months until I see how the new Intels run.

Collapse -
6-12months? wow!

In reply to: RE: My .02

I've been a Mac user for most of my life, but a serious user for about 8 years. I trust their hardware 100% and from the first reviews I've read on the macbooks, they are faster than any laptop apple has ever made. If I needed it today, I would have no hesitation to buy it (amd my work relies on it working properly).

Collapse -
Re: 6-12months? wow!

In reply to: 6-12months? wow!

Thanks for your note. I think I am making my mind up slowly but steadily. I will wait for a few more months for all the software to work on the Intel and maybe until Apple launches a Macbook pro with a 17' screen. If I can drag it until then, I will also wait for the macbook pro with both windows and OS X. I am not a professional designer or anything but I spend a lot of time using my laptop mainly for marketing work (word, powerpoint and excel, work I bring home from the office basically) and also on the internet for leisure. I like playing games but I will not mind not using my laptop for games as I will be buying the PS3 when it comes out so no worries if many games are not compatible with Apple. But I like to have a good machine to operate. And would like to spend $2500-$3000 on a laptop that I end up not liking so much. I have a decent fujitsu siemens these days and think I can drag its life span for another 12 months or so. Bought it cheap 9 months ago, feel like a waste if I replace it now.

I think that OS X was launched around 2001? How often does Apple launch a new OS? Is there a new OS (maybe 11?) that might come around in the next 12-18 months? It is worth waiting for that if it is within a line of sight.

Thanks for your help, seriously appreciated...

Collapse -
Waiting and Waiting!

In reply to: Re: 6-12months? wow!

If you continue your present course of action, you will never purchase a Mac Laptop.
Waiting for a 17" Macbook pro
Waiting for OS X and WIndows bootable Macbook Pro
Waiting for a PS3
Waiting for OS XI (Truly "New" OS launched by Apple three times in 30 years)
Waiting for all Software to work on the Intel Mac (Never happen)

Given your stated use of a new machine, you have absolutely no reason to wait for anything. Office 2004 runs happily under Rosetta and Safari is already a Universal Binary application.

Ditch the Windows box and get on with life.

P

Collapse -
re: Waiting and Waiting!

In reply to: Waiting and Waiting!

You are right. I am very cautious when it comes to spending anything more than $1000 because I hate buying something an regreting it. Get pissed off with myself! But you are absolutely right!

Collapse -
you can wait forever for something better

OSX is solid and has been since 10.2. 10.4 is the current version, and it is wonderful. I think 10.5 will probably come out this year, but that is not a reason to wait. The only thing a new version will likely bring is features. Apple has put a lot of marketing into OSX (10) so their new versions will continue to use 10 until they run out, probably. That is why their new versions are .1's rather than 1.0's.

It sounds like all the software you need already works on the intel Macs.

PS3 is supposed to make it out by 11/06

17" Macbookpro is "rumored" around July/06

Apple will never "officially" release a Mac with Windows installed.

Collapse -
Bought it cheap 9 months ago, feel like a waste if I replace

One word. . . . . eBay.

Collapse -
Microsoft Office

If you would prefer to use Office - rather than a substitute - on your new Mac machine, the educational version is substantially cheaper and comes with three licenses.

You can buy this through Amazon, among others.

The special deal is only available to bone fide educators and Amazon has obviously entered into an agreement with Microsoft, the FBI, Interpol etc to ensure that no-one else can purchase the software at a reduced price by simply claiming to be an educational user.

Collapse -
RE: Microsoft Office

In reply to: Microsoft Office

Thanks for your message. I ve decided to wait until the end of the year to buy the macbook pro. from what I have seen, it is worth it 100%. As far as office suite is concerned, I checked the price of office for mac by microsoft and it costs 450 euros, about US$500. With that money, you can buy another (ok, very cheap) laptop. So I will go with the open office suite which I have tried already for windows and its great. Most importantly, its free. Thanks for the help on this. Didnt know Microsoft is now involving FBI and Interpol into the software misuse game...

Collapse -
As previously mentioned

In reply to: RE: Microsoft Office

If you qualify for the Teacher Student version of Office, you will find the prices to be around $120 for the package. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage (like outlook)(not express) are included and are the same as the programs contained in the package you have already priced

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!