Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

thinking of dumping McaFee

by gwingee / March 11, 2007 8:28 AM PDT

I have HP Windows XP2 SP2 ...broadband with Comcast and free Mcafee..I loved the old Mcafee but the new version is confusing and I don't like it. I have AVG spyware free edition..should I get the free AVG..is that good and is that the same as AVAST?? I heard the AVG is very easy to use and the downloads are quick and easy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thinking of dumping McaFee
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thinking of dumping McaFee
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVG and Avast Are Different Although Both Are Free
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 8:55 AM PDT

Two different companies and two different programs.

If you want to uninstall McAfee make sure to download both Avast and AVG to your computer first.. After the program installer files are downloaded to your desktop, then uninstall McAfee from the "Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs" section. After that, download and use the McAfee uninstaller at the link below to make sure all of McAfee is gone.

Uninstall/Remove McAfee 2005/06/07 Products Using The Removal Tool (MCPR.exe)
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=408302

Next, install ONE of the free antivirus programs you've downloaded to your computer.. Run it for a while and see how you like it. When you're ready, uninstall the first antivirus and install the second one.. Run IT for a while and see what you think. When you make your decision, use the one you like.

Avast
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

AVG by Grisoft
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti-virus-free

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks Grif
by gwingee / March 11, 2007 9:41 AM PDT

How do I download and NOT install..just save it to somewhere?

Collapse -
Grif..what about the firewall?
by gwingee / March 11, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

when I read the info about avg..it is says it does not have a firewall.
I used the Mcafee one now

Collapse -
Yep, Save The Installer Files To Your Desktop, For Now...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 11, 2007 2:10 PM PDT

Once McAfee is fully uninstalled, then you can install the other AV's.

As to the firewall, I would remove it as well.. If you choose to keep McAfee's firewall, then you may end up with troubles from some of the other remaining McAfee progams and registry entries.. Once everything McAfee is gone, temporarily enable the Windows XP firewall from within the Control Panel/Windows Firewall icon, then try some of the other free firewalls available such as Commodo, ZoneAlarm, Safety.Net, Kerio, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif
by gwingee / March 12, 2007 10:50 AM PDT

I got rid of Mcafee and downloaded tonight the AVG...so is there anything I need to do? I enabled the Windows firewall and did the update on AVG..I will do a scan too I guess.

Collapse -
As Long As It's Installed And Updated..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Grif

You should be fine.. Keep it updated and run occasional scans and you should be able to see whether you like the program.

Keep up the good work.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: thinking of dumping McaFee
by Big Steve / March 14, 2007 2:12 AM PDT

It's not free but I think what I have for AV software is pretty good. It's Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006 which I plan to upgrade to 2007 at the end of next month.

Big Steve
03/14/07

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.