Laptops forum

General discussion

thinking of buying - ACER AS7720-6155

by Rog R / February 20, 2008 7:56 AM PST

New to the laptop world and after doing some research and store shopping came across what I think is a good deal.

An ACER AS7720-6155 17" Intel Core 2 T5250 @GB RAM 160 GB HD
SuperMulti DVD burner - for $599.90

I'll be using it in my local business travels and at home for basic reporting requirements.

Any thoughts or suggestions.....

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thinking of buying - ACER AS7720-6155
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thinking of buying - ACER AS7720-6155
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have an Acer 17 inch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 9:15 AM PST

We also have a 15 inch. The smaller unit is better for travel, the big screen is better for presentations.

Bob

Collapse -
PS, My encounters with service.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2008 11:39 PM PST

Zero problems, fast replies, etc.

But why? Maybe because I stick to the hardware side of the calls. The one thing I've learned today is Acer, Dell, Tosh, Sony, and all but Apple fail miserably if you have an issue with the OS or software (supplied by them.)

Some will tell tales about service but today is not the good old days.

Bob

Collapse -
Acer Laptops
by mikenormandin / February 22, 2008 10:03 PM PST

I currently own an Acer laptop, just as you described. I really like it. I think you'll enjoy the extra 2 inch screen difference. A 17 " is the way to go. No problems with it to date, other than software issues with Vista.

Collapse -
Acer
by Kathryntaylor / February 22, 2008 11:08 PM PST

I have an Acer Travelmate 2480-2779 which is about 8 months old and all I can say is, RUN!!! Do not buy and Acer product, I have had nothing but problems since I got this thing and getting help from Acer is impossible, if you call tech support you will be on the phone for no less than 1 hour just waiting to talk to someone and even when you do get a person, if you're that lucky, they have no idea of how to help you, they ask a million questions and what the problem is etc. then they tell you that if you are experiencing a problem that you will need to send the unit in for repair, no matter what the problem is. The reason for this is that they have no idea what to do and because they are either going to look for any reason to say your warrenty is void so they don't have to fix it or they are going to keep the unit until the warrenty expires so that you will have to pay for it to be reapired after they return it to you unrepaired (yes unrepaired) they are not going to fix it, they will say they did, but the problem still exists so how is it fixed? Also as for Email support, it is non existant, you email them with a question and all they do is reply to you repeating your question back to you and telling you that if you are experiencin a problem you will need to send in the unit for repair. And another thing, if you modify your unit in ANY WAY it voids the warrenty, this includes but is not limited to a "clean install" of the OS dual-booting with another OS and/or upgrading to another version of windows, if you buy a pc with vista pre-installed(mine was vista basic) then vista support is through the manufacturer (ie. Acer) and not Microsoft, then you upgrade to another version of vista (ultimate, like I did) Acer no longer supports the OS or your pc and Microsoft doesn't support the OS because originally it was pre-installed by the manufacturer so you're on your own with all of the problems that come with vista.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?