Phones forum

General discussion

Thinking of buying a motorola A1200

by Q. Hilleous / March 27, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

When texting on the A1200, does it have a 'qwerty' keypad, or does is have a normal phone keypad? I have cingular, and I am thinking of buying an unlocked A1200, what will I have to do to be able to use the phone, and to be able to text?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thinking of buying a motorola A1200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thinking of buying a motorola A1200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Motorola A1200
by Kees Bakker / March 27, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

No keyboard to be found in the picture in our review: http://forums.cnet.com/5204-7817_102-0.html?forumID=74&tag=forum.fd

And nothing about keyboards, as far as I can tell, on the Motorola info pages on this model:
http://www.motorola.com/consumer/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=b506c1b0d8d7d010VgnVCM1000008206b00aRCRD&show=productHome

May I ask why you know what phone you want without apparently knowing anything about it? It's not so very difficult to find out all details on the Internet. I just googled to find this information for you, in fact.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by Q. Hilleous / March 28, 2007 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Motorola A1200

I guess I asked the wrong questions. I was aware that it had no actual keypad, but I wanted to know if the touchscreen showed a 'qwerty' keypad, or a regular phone keypad. I've been on several sites and every picture I saw only showed the numerical keypad.

Collapse -
QWERTY
by Lord BubbleKnight / September 14, 2007 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Full QWERTY keyboard with a separate board for symbols and another one for special characters (great if you need to use accents or other language-special chars). The QWERTY keyboard comes with a Caps Lock feature which helps you type in all caps, if that's what you need.

Collapse -
No keypad, touch screen only
by dj4monie / March 27, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

A friend of mine has this phone, it has no qwerty keypad. Its all touch screen with the included stylus. He uses it on Cingular without any issues, just swapped the SIM card with is other phone.

I'm also considering this phone (now that the price has dropped) and the other Motorola "Linx" phone the Rokr E6

Collapse -
Thanks
by Q. Hilleous / March 28, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

I was trying to find out if it had a qwerty pad on the touchscreen, but I asked the question wrong. Also, thanks for the info about cingular working with it. I read a lot of reviews for the phone, and some said that all they did was change the sim card, but others said that they had to install something to get the texting to work correctly. Your answer really helped alot, thanks again.

Collapse -
manually getting email hooked up
by dlarson4245 / April 1, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

Anybody,

I asked this question somewhere on this forum and now I can't find if anyone answered, but I will ask again. I bought an unlocked Motorola A1200 smart phone. I have Cingular as my carrier. Cingular does not have this phone in their lineup so they refuse to help me get my email set up. Motorola just won't help me at all. So I am in a quandary. Since there is no profile for my server on the phone itself, Comcast, or Cingular or anything I can recognize, I don't know what to do. Also: I took my SIM card from my SLVR and put it into the A1200 and I can't get onto the Internet even though I get on the Internet with my SLVR easily. The whole thing is just so complicated and nerve-wracking that I am about to stuff this phone in a drawer and buy a Samsung Blackjack straight from Cingular and just basically forget the money. You guys say this is one of the best phones out there and I believe it, but if I can't access its many features it's no good to me. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, Ned

Collapse -
Set up
by oper8or_162 / April 6, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

Go to www.djlosch.com/article_Motorola_A1200_Ming_Hacks
he has the cingular settings. too bad I am on Cellular one...

Collapse -
oper8tor
by dlarson4245 / April 6, 2007 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Set up

Thank you so much. I'm on my way. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
oper8tor, thanks
by dlarson4245 / April 6, 2007 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Set up

I went to the website but ran into the same problem: what number do I put in? That seems to be the stumbling block. I was almost certainly given a number at some point, but I can't find it on my computer. I hae emailed Comcast asking them for that number. I hope I am asking the proper questions, btw.

Thanks again, oper8tor

Ned

Collapse -
a1200
by wliang / March 27, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

the phone has no keyboard. all controls are touch screen associated. When creating a text message, you can choose to have an on-screen qwerty keyboard. It's really small so you have to touch the screen precisely with the stylus. You could write your text messages but the software isnt quite as smart as it should be. Sometimes a capital A ends up as a Z. i guess it all depends on how good your handwriting it. but ya, no physical buttons except for the talk and end/power buttons and a little navigation toggle

Collapse -
Thank you
by Q. Hilleous / March 28, 2007 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: a1200

Thanks alot, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I guess I asked my question wrong, but thats the answer I was looking for. I was aware that it had no actual keypad, but wanted to know if it had 'qwerty' pad on the screen. Thanks again for the info, big help.

Collapse -
qwerty keyboard
by dlarson4245 / April 1, 2007 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

It's on-screen and it is a qwerty keyboard. It's odd using a qwerty keyboard with a stylus because I don't look that often at the keyboard when I type and don't always remember where a letter is, which is weird. The handwriting recognition software has to learn how you write. It offers left-handed and right-handed user's handwriting so it allows for those two different styles. Then it starts learning how you make your letters. I actually like it.

Collapse -
got one
by oper8or_162 / April 6, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

I love the phone, so far the only problem I am having is setting up the web browser & email. Everything else works great. It is touch screen there is no keyboard.

Collapse -
I am having the same problems with browser and email
by dlarson4245 / April 6, 2007 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: got one

I also have the phone and cannot figure out how to set it up manually. I have been given some directions, however, and I am happy to share those with anyone who needs them. The problem is that in the setup they ask for the dial-up number and since I have a cable modem I never call a dial-up number. My server is Comcast and my carrier is Cingular. Anyone who can straighten me out on those issues, please feel free to do so. I would be very grateful for any assistance in this matter. I want to get the full use out of this apparently great new phone but so far I am hampered by this problem. The phone is too new to be on Cingular's list of supported phones but Motorola is actually trying to help me. I don't know where to find that dial-up number (I have emailed Comcast about it but have not heard back) however so I'm stuck at that point in the setup. I know it must be region specific, the phone#, but how would I find out what it is? And for that matter, am I correct in assuming it is the number to my server, Comcast rather than some other number from Cingular? I know how dumb I sound, and I'm frankly chagrined. Somehow I always get hung up somewhere in the process (I was just flying along entering all the correct data given me by Motorola until they told me to enter the dial-up number. That was it).

Anyone who would like the step-by-step manual setup instructions please email me at nedwynn@comcast.net.

Ned

Collapse -
oper8tor
by dlarson4245 / April 6, 2007 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: got one

What number did you use?

Collapse -
Can't setup Motorola Phone Tools for my a1200!
by cmjohnsn / April 22, 2007 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: oper8tor

Hello, I'm having problems with Motorola Phone Tools recognizing my a1200! During the installation, the program cannot recognize the phone - has anyone had this problem and resolved it? Thanks!

equine622@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?