Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Thinking about a new Mac laptop

by RaeAtkinson / August 16, 2006 4:43 AM PDT

Hi everyone! I thought I would ask the intelligent masses here for some advice on a new Mac laptop. I currently have a Snow iBook G3 800 mHz dual USB notebook, which I LOVE! It has been a great machine with relatively no issues. But, I need something more powerful. I store a lot of photos and music on my Windows laptop that is brand new, but has been incredibly problematic. I am going to be getting rid of it and be replacing both of my laptops with one MacBook. I also do some word processing and power point stuff, so M$ Office would be necessary. I'd like to do some video stuff, but I don't think I will be doing a lot of that. I have thought about just getting an iMac G5, but I want something I take with me on trips as I travel a lot. So portability is important.
What exactly is the difference btwn MacBook and MacBook Pro? Other than the backlit keyboard and Screen size? Is it worth spending the extra money on a MacBook Pro? I have heard about logic boards croaking on the new MacBooks. I know this was a problem with the iBook's, although mine has been free of such issues thus far.
Anyone know when Leopard is being released? I run Panther now on my little iBook workhorse. Is it worth waiting for Leopard to be released? I assume it's not terribly different than Tiger. I guess I just want to make the perfect choice so my Mac and I will be a match made in heaven. I thought maybe some of you could weigh in with your expertise. Thanks in advanced, guys!
Rachyl

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Thinking about a new Mac laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Thinking about a new Mac laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The difference between the two.
by exon111 / August 16, 2006 6:20 AM PDT

The only major difference between the macbook and macbook pro is the graphics card. There are a lot of small differences like back lit keyboard, slightly faster processor, support for a 30 inch display, etc., but mainly it is the graphics card. Macbooks have really lame graphics cards that will not handle modern video games or graphics intensive programs well. The Macbok pro has a pretty good one that comes with either 128 of 256mb of VRAM. Other than that there isn't really a huge difference. I don't think a macbook would die on you, but if your concerned just purchase the three year warranty just in case.

Collapse -
Get the MacBook 2.0GHz
by udayan71 / August 16, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

I have both the 2.0GHz MacBook & MacBook Pro. the Pro is not worth the extra price unless you enjoy the soft keyboard, ambient light sensor and backlit keyboard. The price gap is so significant that I don't think the Pro is worth its cost.

As for reliability, they're both rock solid machines.

Collapse -
MacBook
by RaeAtkinson / August 16, 2006 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Get the MacBook 2.0GHz

Thanks for the really solid advice. I think I will go with the MacBook. Do you think I should wait until Leopard is released? Is there much difference between it and Tiger? I run Panther on my iBook and I love it.
I am not a computer gamer, so a better video card for that reason is not worth the extra price to me.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If you can wait for Spring 07 then do so, 10.5 is great
by udayan71 / August 16, 2006 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: MacBook
Collapse -
I will!
by RaeAtkinson / August 18, 2006 5:59 AM PDT

Sure, I can wait. I have an iBook that works great right now. I will definitely wait for Spring for 10.5. I think it would be worth the wait.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Awesome, good call. You'll be better for it!
by udayan71 / August 18, 2006 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I will!
Collapse -
Waiting to buy a MBP
by hz37 / August 20, 2006 10:31 PM PDT

But surely buying a Merom based MBP in September (October?) this year and upgrading to 10.5 when it is released would be an option?? I'm seriously considering buying a MBP, but with Merom just around the corner, I decided to wait for that. But I would love to have my new machine before 2007 and upgrade to Leopard later. I now have PPC iMac and a Windows XP laptop (which is unreliable), using the machines mostly for audio/music.

So what's your opinion on the release dat of Merom based MBP's???

Thanks,

Hens

Collapse -
anyone's guess, here's mine.
by udayan71 / August 21, 2006 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Waiting to buy a MBP

I'd say it's most likely that this sort of update happens quietly or at a special Apple event rather than MacWorld '07. My guess is, before 2007 will see you get Merom MacBook Pros.

Udayan.

Collapse -
Read this post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2006 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Waiting to buy a MBP
Collapse -
go for the macBook pro if u need the power
by techfreack / August 22, 2006 11:31 AM PDT

The macBook is a fine performing compact notebook but if u want some more juice, and some extra bells and whistles then go for the macBook pro--the only drawback is the larger size. Personally i would wait for leapord to come out and mabe next year or sometime in the future their will be core 2duo processors in these notebooks.

Collapse -
Ok
by RaeAtkinson / August 28, 2006 3:32 PM PDT

You made some great points. I have a perfectly wonderful iBook, so I am in no rush to buy another Mac laptop, but I really, really want one. I definitely wanna wait for Leopard. A Core 2 Duo processors on a MacBook would be sweet!
I have decided to sell my almost brand-new, but constantly broken Windows laptop and use that money towards the purchase of another Mac laptop. I can hardly wait!

Collapse -
Core 2 Duo.
by udayan71 / August 28, 2006 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

Engadget just reported that the C2D Merom isn't all that much better than the current Yonah in the MacBook, and it is really pretty unlikely that the Yonah will be replaced on that model for a while - putting a Merom in the MacBook Pro and leaving the MacBook creates a nice buffer which currently there isn't much of.

Udayan.

Collapse -
Chiming in question about iMacs
by Rob10 / August 29, 2006 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Core 2 Duo.

Sorry to just jump in here, but I'm thinking about getting a new iMac (it'll be my first Mac) and wondered if it's worth the wait for Core 2 Duo (and maybe with that there will be Firewire 800?) and Leopard. Besides the easy stuff like word processing and Web access, I plan on using it for photo and video editing. I currently have a PC, so I don't have to buy immediately.

Collapse -
If you don't have to buy now
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 29, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

You might as well wait for Leopard

P

Collapse -
Times to wait for an upgrade
by Rob10 / August 29, 2006 10:48 PM PDT

Thanks P. Everyone always says waiting for an upgrade is nuts, or you'll never get a computer. I totally understand when Intel and AMD waged the clock speed war in PCs. But I don't know much (if anything) about Macs and thought it might be worth the wait in this case. I'm sure the folks who waited for the change to Intel chips are glad they did in the long run. Do you have a guess at what the high points of Leopard will be over the current OSX? From what I read, Time Machine sounds the most interesting.

Collapse -
Much of what Leopard will contain
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 30, 2006 3:19 AM PDT

is still under wraps but take a look at the Apple site for the Demo's of the parts of Leopard that have been released to the public.

It's quite impressive

P

Collapse -
how much will leapord cost
by techfreack / August 30, 2006 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: A link.

if one was to upgrade later on how much would leapord go for whenever it came out next spring?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) $129. Same price as Tiger costs now.
by udayan71 / August 30, 2006 7:57 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?