Computer Help forum

Question

Think I seriously broke my laptop.

Last night whilst browsing, I opened a comic I'd downloaded, it had not triggered any anti virus alerts but it froze the screen, I got a message that microsoft was not responding and the hard drive made a horrible clicking sound.

I held the power button down to turn it off, when I restarted it seemed to work, asked for my password then froze again, now everytime I start it it tries to run diagnostic, says it's loading files then goes to the blue load up screen and stays there, I can use the splashtop browser, which I'm doing now but can't access the hard drive to system restore or to delete the comic files.

I think I've done for the Vaio but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice please?

It uses Windows 7 and I don't have any restore discs as I'm a twit and never made any.

I've tried F8 and not an single option that gives me does anything than what I mentioned above, blue screen, I also tried F2 and F10 and the inbuilt Vaio Assist button which I've system restored with in the past, again nothing happens.

Have I killed my literally just out of 6 month warranty laptop already?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Think I seriously broke my laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Think I seriously broke my laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: broken laptop

In reply to: Think I seriously broke my laptop.

Seems like a serious issue. If you had made that restore disks you might have tried a restore to factory conditions, but it's not unlikely at all that it's a hardware issue. Then a fresh copy of the OS wouldn't have helped either.

As a test:
1. Run a Linux Live CD.
2. Install Linux on the hard disk
3. Install any Windows 7 on the hard disk. It probably won't function completely, and it won't activate, but the 30 day grace period should be enough to see if it works at all.

If all are succesfull, order that restore media with Sony. Cheaper than a new laptop.

Kees

Collapse -
8)

In reply to: Re: broken laptop

Hi, thanks for replying, I don't have a Linux Live CD, I'm not really techno savvy at all, also I can't save anything with this splashtop browser unless it is on my USB key,but then it won't run anything on it.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: linux

In reply to: 8)

Linux CD's can be downloaded and burned on any PC. Then booted from on your laptop (assuming it's not so broke that it doesn't even do that).

If you feel you can't do the things I advised yourself, better find a repair shop.

Kees

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: Re: linux

Thanks Kees I will get some discs and give that a go tomorrow, it is quite handy this Splashtop Browser, if I can't fix the issue I can still come online, it's kinda a weak browser but I guess bettetr than not being online.

Thanks again.

Lee

Collapse -
Answer
If

In reply to: Think I seriously broke my laptop.

If the HDD was making a clicking sound, then it should be a pretty simple matter of replacing it and reinstalling the OS and associated software.

It probably had nothing to do with what you were doing at the time, if indeed it is a HDD suffering from the click of death. That being said, you really shouldn't be downloading comics unless you paid for them. They are copyrighted works, same as music and movies, even if the likes of Marvel and DC aren't quite as aggressive in going after people.

Collapse -
8)

In reply to: If

If I understand you right, you're saying I might have to buy a new hard drive? that doesn't sound too awful, I could ask Sony for the recovery help.

Last night was the first time I ever downloaded a comic, I wanted to read a specific one and I normally just buy them.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Correct

In reply to: 8)

Correct, HOWEVER, I'm basing my suggestion on your saying you heard the HDD making a clicking sound. So, it would probably be worth the while to take it somewhere to be diagnosed first. Someone who can actually inspect the unit, and hear for themselves whether or not the drive is clicking, etc.

Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: Correct

Loud clicking sound that I actually felt through the laptop, it did something similair on Tuesday, night, I was browsing then click it turned itself off after freezing, I guess that should have been a warning, I knew I should make back up discs but I was blase about it, never again.

I will see a repair person after trying the Linux idea above tomorrow.

Thanks,

Lee.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.