PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Think i need help with my MBR

by mallox99 / July 3, 2009 4:48 AM PDT

i have a wd 320 gig for my secondary hard disk. on my primary, i partitioned it and installed xp and vista, but i took my wd out of my dasktop before the install. my os's installs went fine but when i put the wd back in neither os will access the drive. it askes me to format it and only shows 127gig available, and thats how much room i had left on it, help me get my stuff back... thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Think i need help with my MBR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Think i need help with my MBR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some questions:
by Kees Bakker / July 3, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

1. What version of XP (original, SP1, SP2, SP3)?
2. What OS are you booting into to look at the drive? Really both? Then in Vista go into disk management and see what it reports about the partitions on that drive. See http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-disk-management-in-vista/

And if you take the drive out and mount it in an external case, what does disk management say then?

It's too early to discuss data recovery yet. But it might be necessary.

Don't you have a backup?

Kees

Collapse -
ok heres what i got
by mallox99 / July 3, 2009 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Some questions:

computer management tells me that my wd is disk 0 lettered F says 128.0 GB raw, Healthy (active, primary partition) fault tolerance "no" overhead "0%" i am using xp sp2 and vista ultimate sp1 32bit, 4 gig ram my primary hd is 250 gig seagate sata the troubled drive is a western digital 320 gig, also my cpu is a amd 64 processor 3500+ 2.20 GHz

Collapse -
So ..
by Kees Bakker / July 3, 2009 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ok heres what i got

disk management says there's one raw partition of 128 GB and the remaining 172 GB (to make 300 together) is unallocated. And you think otherwise.

Time to try these 2 datarecovery programs:
GETDATABACK
ZAR (ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY)

Programs like this are easy to find: google for DOWNLOAD X with X being the program name.

If they fail also, it's time to set the professionals at work (that won't be free). See www.drivesavers.com or www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/

Kees

Collapse -
one more question
by mallox99 / July 3, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: So ..

so do you think it is possible that the boot record on the wd got messed up? and if so do think it can be repaired?

Collapse -
THANK YOU
by mallox99 / July 3, 2009 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: So ..

am currently transfering all my lost files over to my primary, am using the getdataback program very fast and friendly, thanks again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?