Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Think I messed up my Graphics Properties.

by caktus / June 17, 2006 3:01 PM PDT

Can?t think of just what I may have done but my DT BG color is green. IE and Explorer windows BG color is green. When in Display Properties I choose white or yellow for DT or window BG color all I get is green (it may actually be a yellow green).

The only setting that seems to change the green BG?s is at Graphics Properties Color tab. But I always end up with very light or very dark green or red. While in Graphics Properties/Color tab I tried the ?Reset Defaults? button but all message box, task bars and such turn a very dark gray.

System Restore nor ERUNT nor Non-destructive System Recovery helps.

Been trying to work it out or find a solution to the problem about a week now w/o success.

If some one could steer me in the right direction or provide a fix I?d sure appreciate it. Even a way to reset all the Display Properties original defaults would be great.

Thanks

Charlie

Hear's a link to the system stats

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Think I messed up my Graphics Properties.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Think I messed up my Graphics Properties.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
green display
by glennlee / June 17, 2006 3:26 PM PDT

You probably have a hardware problem. Either your video display card has failed, or more likely your monitor circuitry for reds has failed. Easiest way to check: hook your video output to a known good monitor.

Collapse -
Thanks glennlee
by caktus / June 20, 2006 5:27 AM PDT

Getting temp access to another monitor out here in the sticks will be difficult but I'll keep it in mind. I've been able to soften the green some by adjusting the Hue in Display Properties > Appearance > Advanced > Desktop. It's hard to tell but I think the BG Color tends to change to brighter to darker and back a tiny bit.

When I change Sat, Lum, Red Green and Blue values the changes take hold immediately but after clicking OK, OK, Apply the changes revert back to Sat 0, Lim 240, Red Blue and Green 255.

The screen resloution began changing from 1024/768 to a little bit smaller and smaller. Unchecking RUNDLL32, RUNDLL32.EXE, TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp, SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run in Startup programs seems to have stopped the problem. I found I had the old Tweakui 4.3 as well as the TweakUI for XP. I read some where that the old one is supposed to be removed before installing the one for XP so I embarked on removing them both. The old one was pure hell to get rid of but with the help of a .VBS at kellys-korner I finally got rid of the rascal. I'm not sure if RUNDLL32 had any thing to do with the problems.

I'm not quite sure if it's the legit RUNDLL32. Most of what I've read about it seems kind of confusing. I think it has [something] to do with graphics but I'm not sure just what. There is no RUNDLL32 in the Windows\system32 folder. I'm pretty sure it used to be there. I used the Search Assistant to search for RUNDLL32 and the only thing that came up is rundll32.exe at C:\PRDSMIMG\system32 which seens new to me and I can't find what it's for.

AVG, edwido, S&D, Adaware, MS Defender, CW Shredder and SSA Cleaner indicate no infections.

Collapse -
caktus, I found rundll32 in two places
by DarCLew2 / June 20, 2006 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks glennlee

one was in system32 and the other is located in Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?