HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

thin client on 2 networks

by turnbjr / August 5, 2010 12:31 AM PDT

Hello,

My network will look "sort of" like:
http://i40.tinypic.com/vnh1uf.jpg

I want to be able to access the upstairs thin client from the upstairs computer. The upstairs thin client will be connected to 2 networks (House & Workshop). I will be "controlling"/"sessioning" the upstairs thin client from the House. The unit will get its internet access through the Workshop's internet connection.

What are my options for the upstairs thin client? It has to be running Windows XP (embedded)? I need XP for the compatibility with certain programs. I have concerns about the thin clients hardware specs (I have 2 I could use so far - VIA C3 800MHz/512MB RAM or VIA 550MHZ/512MB RAM). What are all of my options? If I use VMWare on my server, Will my servers specs be the "bottleneck?" Can I RDP/other into one of those virtualized sessions from my upstairs computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: thin client on 2 networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: thin client on 2 networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No more thin here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 12:50 AM PDT

Remember I have lived through the thin wars since about 1970 onward. Thin was in, then out as the costs plummeted. Today my thin machine is some netbook that was all of 228 bucks that has it all.

I can use VNC or other apps for remoting to another machine. Lots of choices.

Why go thin if it costs more?

If you have the thin clients you would be able to test and see if there is any issue.
Bob

Collapse -
is that really a question?
by turnbjr / August 5, 2010 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No more thin here.

Bob said:
If you have the thin clients you would be able to test and see if there is any issue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob, I am trying to figure out what my options are. I want to know what all I can do. I am new to x-sessions, RDP, VMWare, and the like. I was hoping someone could give me an overview of what my options are.

Why go thin? If you looked at my diagram, you would see that I want a computer (thin client) that I can access from the house that will get its access through the Workshop (different ISP). Since this "bridge computer" will always be on, why in the world would I want a computer that draws a lot of watts?
The thin clients cost me $25 and $32, respectively. That is less than a whole PC.

Collapse -
My thin client
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 1:11 AM PDT

When the LCD is on draws 10 Watts total.

Since you have the thin clients then that is not up for discussion but I learned that thin is out today except for where it makes sense. I've encountered places that try to make it work when it won't.

New or not to x-sessions you learn that the network speed is nice to have but even a paltry 10 megabit link is enough for most things. No video play or graphic games but the usual will be fine.

All your stuff looks to be beyond that so where would there be any issue?

The really nice part for you will be the learning experience. I used to have such setups but they tended to need configuration that would stump most network folk. And support? Forget about it as you were on your own.

Go try what you have and have fun doing it.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry for being unclear
by turnbjr / August 5, 2010 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: My thin client

I was just wondering what my options are?

What kind of system can I set up?

Collapse -
What kind of system?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 2:29 AM PDT

Try building what you have in the picture. You'll learn if you didn't know the issues of routing, NAT and more. But in theory it will work. The only caveat is the the remote sessions often don't work for video (movies) and most games. But that would be in your design goals.

Your drawing should be fine.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.