Speakeasy forum

General discussion

they used to say "no ball, no game"

by jonah jones / February 20, 2008 12:15 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: they used to say "no ball, no game"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: they used to say "no ball, no game"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some religious stuff doesn't make any sense to me
by Diana Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 12:34 PM PST

They have women teaching boys but a woman can't be a referee at a boys' game?

Collapse -
press release: February 19, 2008 st. mary's
by WOODS-HICK / February 20, 2008 2:06 PM PST
" February 19, 2008

It was falsely alleged and widely reported that the decision of St. Mary?s Academy not to allow a woman referee to officiate at a basketball game was based upon the idea that women can never have authority over men. This alleged reason was neither stated nor is it held by any official of St. Mary?s Academy, as evidenced by the fact that the faculty and staff of St. Mary?s includes many honorable ladies of talent and erudition. Logically, St. Mary?s Academy, a Catholic institution, adheres in spirit and discipline to Divine Law. The Fourth Commandment obliges due honor to father and mother, as well as to all authority.

St. Mary?s Academy follows the directives of the Catholic Church regarding co-education. The Church has always promoted the ideal of forming and educating boys and girls separately during the adolescent years, especially in physical education (Cf. Divini Illius Magistri - Encyclical on the Christian Education of Youth, by Pope Pius XI, 1929 and The Instruction of the Sacred Congregation of Religious on Co-Education, A.A.S., 25 (1958) pp. 99-103). This formation of adolescent boys is best accomplished by male role models, as the formation of girls is best accomplished by women. Hence in boys? athletic competitions, it is important that the various role models (coaches and referees) be men.

In addition, our school aims to instill in our boys the proper respect for women and girls. Teaching our boys to treat ladies with deference, we cannot place them in an aggressive athletic competition where they are forced to play inhibited by their concern about running into a female referee.

Rev. Fr. Vicente A. Griego
Headmaster, St. Mary?s Academy "

"The history of St. Mary's Academy & College is steeped in Catholic tradition and punctuated by the struggles of rugged frontier life. The story of our campus and the work done here for the salvation of souls provides interesting, entertaining, and thought-provoking reading. From its inception, which saw schools established for the Potawatomi tribe, through its days as a boys' school and college, through its seminary days during which more than 1,000 men were ordained to the Eternal Priesthood, and up to the present day, the primary focus on this campus has been Catholic education."

freedom of religion
wonder what the parents of the private st mary's students feel,

is it different than home schooling
Collapse -
(NT) Piled pretty high there.
by Dan McC / February 20, 2008 10:25 PM PST
Collapse -
Seems to me.....
by Josh K / February 20, 2008 10:36 PM PST

....that the Catholic church has had a few little issues with those "male role models" they're talking about in that press release, no?

Yet another reason never to live in Kansas.

Collapse -
There's nuts all over, Josh.
by Dan McC / February 20, 2008 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: Seems to me.....

At least this group has isolated themselves to some degree so we know where they are.

Collapse -
dorothy's house is for rent
by WOODS-HICK / February 20, 2008 11:10 PM PST

I'm way past religion because they are cults as far as I am concerned. that evolved from my catholic cradle. my mom is now crossing herself three times and rosary beads are a rosy blur rushing through her fingers.

their really is not a reason to bring homosexual priests into this story. priests abused me with their sermons for 9 years but that is all. I have never met anyone who admits having been sexually abused by a priest. several other religions and professions play with boys or too-young girls as we all know by selective reading.. I know it happens but irrelevant in this instance. see I can preach, osmosis works.

kansas has its prairie beauty. hey you live in texas, not exactly the garden of eden.

I believe you might also have been referring to the evolution/creationism debate in kansas school system. that to me is scary and weirder than no-babe-coaches.

teach both but keep their roles in perspective and in separate studies. I can't believe it is still an issue in the 21st century.

Collapse -
It seems, Josh...
by J. Vega / February 21, 2008 12:44 AM PST

Josh, it seems that the Catholic church had what you call "a few little issues" with that organization. Did you notice that the story said: "The school is owned and operated by the Society of St. Pius X, a group founded in 1970 in response to reforms that the Roman Catholic Church initiated with the Second Vatican Council. The group follows pre-Vatican II practices, such as the Latin Mass. Pope John Paul II excommunicated the society?s world leader, Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, in the late 1980s. Lefebvre died in 1991."?

Collapse -
take these reins of the horse out of kansas
by WOODS-HICK / February 21, 2008 1:05 AM PST
"SEPTEMBER 21, 1929

Marcel Lefebvre is ordained a priest.

1932 - 1946

Having become a Holy Ghost Father, he becomes a missionary in Gabon, Africa.

SEPTEMBER 18, 1947

He is consecrated a bishop and appointed Apostolic Vicar of Dakar, Senegal.

Three of the Lefebvres who became religious: Marcel, Gabrielle and Rene

Three of the Lefebvre's. From left to right, Marcel, Gabrielle and Rene.

1948 - 1959

Bishop Lefebvre is Pope Pius XII?s Apostolic Delegate for 18 African countries.

SEPTEMBER 14, 1955

He becomes the first Archbishop of Dakar.

His Excellency returns to France to be the Bishop of Tulle.

1962 - 1968

Archbishop Lefebvre is elected and acts as Superior General of the Holy Ghost Fathers.

...until resigning before the changes his congregation would force him to implement, and going into ?retirement.?

The Archbishop founds the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X.

1970 - 1982

He acts as its first Superior General.

1970 - 1988

Until, in view of his imminent death, he consecrates successors, Archbishop Lefebvre does all he can to be faithful to the grace of his episcopacy, traveling the world to encourage Catholics to hold fast to the faith and traditions of their fathers, confirming their young and ordaining for them

MARCH 25, 1991

Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre passes before his Eternal Judge."

Concerning the Archbishop personally, a journalist asked recently what was my outstanding memory of the man. I gave maybe a surprising answer: his objectivity. He had, of course, a uniquely attractive personality because he was a saint ?gentle, kind, simple, humble, humorous, and so on, without a trace of sentimentality, but that was not the point. Underneath all that lay a great intelligence and faith and firmness of character, but that was still not the point. Essentially he was a man empty of self and full of God. To meet him, to talk to him, was to see ?through him ?the truth, Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Catholic Church. He was like a window on the interest of God. Not he, but Christ, lived within him, and yet that was Marcel Lefebvre and nobody else. And what a marvelous man he was! (Bishop Richard Williamson, The Angelus, May-June 1991, p. 2.)"

remember you may only lead it to water, not make it think
Collapse -
(NT) Just lovely.
by Dan McC / February 20, 2008 10:22 PM PST
Collapse -
This explains some:
by drpruner / February 21, 2008 8:12 AM PST

"The school is owned and operated by the Society of St. Pius X, a group founded in 1970 in response to reforms that the Roman Catholic Church initiated with the Second Vatican Council. The group follows pre-Vatican II practices, such as the Latin Mass. Pope John Paul II excommunicated the society?s world leader, Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, in the late 1980s. Lefebvre died in 1991."

"Standard" Catholic church schools have nuns as teachers, in coed classes. This group is much closer to Mel Gibson in theology.

Myself, I question the existence of varsity athletics in a school that claims any connection with the bible. Modesty, self-effacement, moderation; all these are counseled by OT and NT in ways that certainly rule out competitive athletics. Gal 5:19-23. (Even intramurals, which can be beneficial to physical health, can get out of hand. Not to mention 'fear and loathing' among Little League and other parents.)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?