HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

'They keep signing up and we keep chasing them,

by JP Bill / September 15, 2008 10:54 PM PDT
Underage kids flock to social networks

He calls himself "fithock2ylover" and his profile on Nexopia, a popular Edmonton-based social-networking site geared toward teens, lists his age as 62. A quick glance at his photos suggests the supposed senior is stretching the truth.

The site has two dozen employees who sniff out underage users, Mr. Webster said. Their main task is to sift through photos and profiles and to decipher whether the user is old enough to participate. He said the company busts about 30 kids a day.

"It's the only way to check," he said. "It's easier to pinpoint someone who looks 10. We'll send them a note, suspend their account, and call their parents to let them know."

Part 1 and Part 2 of the series were interesting

The one "social network" I belong to has the bare minimum info about me.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'They keep signing up and we keep chasing them,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'They keep signing up and we keep chasing them,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why give his age as
by Angeline Booher / September 16, 2008 3:34 AM PDT

.... 62, but then his graduation year as 2014? He forgot that he lied?

There are disclaimers for ordering goods in TV ads. "Ask your parents first." Must be at least 18 to order."

Who is going to check, and how?

There are warnings after warnings to youngsters and adults alike about posting personal information. I suspect there will always be those who ignore those warnings, just as there will always be those who ignore the age requirements .

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I once had occasion to refer to Laurence Fishburne in
by drpruner / September 16, 2008 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Why give his age as

a HS English class. Ninth grade, so they were all about 14, a couple of years ago. They didn't recognize the name, so I said "Morpheus", and got recognition. All the Matrix (Matrices?) films were rated R, so how did they ...? Same results with about any other similar film, including those with 'hard R's', as they say.

Collapse -
How did they?
by Paul C / September 16, 2008 7:31 PM PDT

Ever see a video store clerk ask for ID? Me neither.

Remember services like Netflix?

Come to think about it, they're not very proactive about checking ID an the theaters, either.

If you're expecting society to do parents' jobs, sorry; the desire to put bodies in the seats or to get product off the shelves and into the homes trumps mere considerations of "accepted" industry guidelines... Sad

Collapse -
You're correct on all counts, of course.
by drpruner / September 16, 2008 7:53 PM PDT
In reply to: How did they?

Rhetorical question, which they answered by looking sheepish. Happy
At least they learned what Fishburne, Denzel, and their beloved Gandalf (Ian McKellen) do with all the money they make in films: They act in Shakespeare, usually for scale. Helped them get more enjoyment out of Romeo and Juliet. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) i think i still have a crush on Trinity ;-)
by jonah jones / September 16, 2008 8:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Me too. Great line about her in M-one.
by drpruner / September 17, 2008 1:49 PM PDT

The officer tells Mr. Smith he sent a team after her. Mr. Smith: "Your men are already dead."

Collapse -
(NT) These kids have TVs? That could explain it.
by Dan McC / September 16, 2008 10:31 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.