Speakeasy forum

General discussion

There's just no respect nor honesty

in business anymore......

Derek called last night...he's on leave until the 11th, then reports back to his ship for deployment on the 16th. He and a number of other shipmates who are on leave at the same time had already begun to store their gear away in the LOCKED storage units for the trip out to sea for the next six or seven months.

These items included their laptops, tv's, movie and music cds, dvd player, xboxes, video games, etc. Fortunately for a few of them they have have very large storage compartments because of their rank and could bring all this stuff in order to keep themselves and their buddies entertained when they have free time.

A couple of days ago, a civilian crew was brought onto the ship to get one of the decks ready and all crew members who quartered on that deck were told to stay out until the crew completed the work. When they got back, they discovered that the LOCKS to the storage compartments had all been broken into and Derek, personally, found nearly a thousand dollars worth of cd's and video games stolen......his other shipmates discovered the same thing happened to them.

No large items like the laptops, digital cameras, tv's, etc. were missing....only stuff that could be concealed easily in toolboxes that the civilian crew had brought on board. Derek and the rest of them go tomorrow to file a complaint and file claims for their losses.....but any monetary reimbursement won't happen for a while and these guys just don't have the funds available to replace this stuff at the last freaking minute....especially since many of them are actually flying HOME before pulling out and their money went to that expense instead.

I'm thoroughly disgusted that not only are the civilian companies charging the Navy overpriced costs for this work, but that they would have so little respect and/or compassion for a ship full of kids heading out to Iraq. I truly hope the Navy makes an example of them.......severely....and sends them all to someplace where even the devil couldn't save them let alone God. Since prisoners at GITMO and ABU are now being handled with freaking kidgloves, set them up as 'detainees' in a USA prison somewhere and find out what kind of reception they'll get from hardcores.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: There's just no respect nor honesty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: There's just no respect nor honesty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Waiting to see

In reply to: There's just no respect nor honesty

pictures of the civvy contractors with panties on their heads. I wouldn't sorry for anyone who didn't lock up their gear, but in this case, they were broken into. How pathetic. I wonder why there isn't a system of checking any out going tool boxes etc?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) or why the crew was ordered out of the area.

In reply to: Waiting to see

Collapse -
Evidently they were doing

In reply to: (NT) or why the crew was ordered out of the area.

something with the flooring and couldn't have people walking on it and most of the people in that deck area were going to be on duty covering for the first half of the guys who went on leave so it would have nearly been deserted anyhow. Half the ship went on leave the last 11 days til the first and then the second half is on leave now. Derek didn't say if the same crew will be doing the flooring on the other deck while the he and the other guys are gone, but I'm assuming this contractor got the whole job. It was only after Derek's half were getting ready to go on leave and were allowed back to that deck area finally that they were able to see that the locks had all been broken into.

TONI

Collapse -
thats a crime and

the contractor should be held responceible, he has the names so he can hand that over or pay to replace all

Collapse -
A Damn shame

I know what the military pay scale is like as I often lived check to check in the service. ANY financial set back in the military can send you reeling.
These thieves are the lowest in the chain.I hope they are haunted in their dreams by explosions,gunfire and spine tingling screams...while the music of the CD's they stole plays in the background.

Collapse -
In cases like this, the Commander/Captain of the ship has...

...wide and lateral powers. In fact, as I see it, that contractor would rather go bear huntin' with a switch than steal anything from a US Navy Ship. Naval Intelligence would jump on this like a duck on a June Bug.

Collapse -
Doesn't the contractor have insurance..

In reply to: In cases like this, the Commander/Captain of the ship has...

to cover something like this? I would think they are liable. I'm guessing it's one crooked employee and it's in teh contractor's interest as well as the Navy's to find and prosecute him.

I hope it's followed up.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If they stole Navy equipment.

In reply to: In cases like this, the Commander/Captain of the ship has...

Collapse -
Derek was saying that

In reply to: (NT) If they stole Navy equipment.

if somebody's car is parked on the base and gets broken into or wrecked, the Navy pays for the damages and then goes after the responsible party if they can investigate and locate him/her. He's hoping it's going to be the same way with their gear since it was on Navy property and secured behind locks. That's why they are going in tomorrow to file the claims and the complaint....so if the same crew comes back to do the other floor, they can get nailed right away. He's guessing that they figured since the deck was empty and half the ship was on leave, that nobody would be around to find out until they were finished with the job and long gone.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I hope they put the cretans behind bars.

In reply to: Derek was saying that

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Keelhauling them first seems appropriate.

In reply to: (NT) I hope they put the cretans behind bars.

Collapse -
That makes me so angry !

Especially as they were crimes against crew members preparing for deployment.

If I may rant some, I have not been thrilled with some of the jobs contracted to the civilian sector, I doubt the money savings are born out. (it was said that civilians could do the jobs cheaper because the military wouldn't have to pay for family housing, etc.)

Recently I have heard statements like, " We can turn over some of the jobs to civilians." Though I am aware that some could be, there are others that I do not that I believe best left to the military. Not applicable to topic, but I also heard, "We could bring some of the Air Force people into those jobs now done by the Army." C'mon.... how much time do they expect to re-train them - support needs and procedures are different!

God forbid they turn over aircraft maintenance to the private sector! Or that of other services that are unique to each.

It sounds like there were more than one breaking those locks. (probably enough to be careful about keeping each individual "take" in the misdemeanor range. Hopefully the company will cooperate, and those criminals can be successfully prosecuted! Destruction of government property, after all!

I am so sorry this happened to Derek and the crew!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
They should just lock up the whole crew

'til someone talks. Whoever took the stuff is a thief and they should hold the rest of the crew as accomplices. It probably would take less than the legitimate 48 hours they could hold them for anyway.

Collapse -
What a dispicable thing for anyone to do.

Maybe as noted elsewhere they can charge whoever and all who knew with destruction of government property as well as thief of the individual items. If the lockers and locks were military issued, it seems they could.

Sadly, it only takes a few to do something, and intimidate the rest it seems. I hope in this case someone will get over the hesitating of being called fink, or such, and report those actually responsible.

Until the guilty are found and punished severely as the law allows, and any who knew punished at least somewhat, hopefully that contractor and crew will not be allowed anything to do with military work.

Sad, so sad.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Sorry this happened to Derek, Toni.

Someone needs to contact this contractor PRONTO, and if it's not made right yesterday, at the very least PUBLISH who this is, so at least no one else's stuff gets nicked, and at most, the whole business tanks.

How low.

Cindi

Collapse -
#@$@@ &^##* that is BAD !!!

maybe they should call the whole crew back and take them on a "cruise they won't forget"

Collapse -
Maybe reviving the old 'impression' of crew here would be a

In reply to: #@$@@ &^##* that is BAD !!!

good idea.

Impress these guys to do all the deck scrubbing for the entire deployment, on that ship. Maybe on a 4 hours on 4 hours off shift for 6 months.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
It sounds like it was the employees that stole the stuff,

not their employer. I'll bet the employer can't do much because the employees are unionized. It's the union members who cannot be trusted. It goes on constantly here also where exhibitors in large exhibit halls MUST use union labor, and are then ripped off by them.

Collapse -
Unjustified slam at union members, KP.

Your header and first sentence are correct -- the employees are thieves. Whether or not they're unionized is first of all unknown, and even if true, doesn't justify an unjustified slam at all Union members, any more than a crime committed by a bunch of (name your hated minority here) justifies the assumption that all members of that minority are criminals. This subthread is OVER -- subsequent messages in the same vein will be deleted.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I speak from experience Dave. It's not that unions are more

In reply to: Unjustified slam at union members, KP.

inclined to lawlessness, although their track record in that area is not good, it's the employer's inability to select or discipline employees. That's part of what causes this kind of problem. Anyone familiar with what goes on at McCormack Place in Chicago knows the kind of thievery perpetrated by the union workers there. The exhibitors must use them, and cannot control them. The Teamsters are another excellent example of union integrity although that is a case of corrupt leadership. We also have many examples in the political realm where union 'enforcers' are frequently used to silence critics. Remember the guy in the last campaign whose small daughter was forced to watch while her father was humiliated by union thugs?

When people are guaranteed a job, whether they are needed or not, they tend to get carried away by their power. It's the human condition. Does that mean that all union workers are corrupt? Of course not! However, they don't do much to keep their coworkers in line either.

Collapse -
PS: When was the last time you saw ship builders who were

In reply to: I speak from experience Dave. It's not that unions are more

not unionized?

Collapse -
I've had similar experiences...

In reply to: I speak from experience Dave. It's not that unions are more

I worked in a warehouse that was a Teamsters shop. I was absolutely amazed at the abuses. Theft was common. The inmates were definitely running the asylum. I felt sorry for the employer (if you can believe that).

Never got in the union. Would have been set for life if I had.

Collapse -
Well, well, well ...

... here's hoping that you apply this edict to yourself in the future, and we won't see any more unjustified (and none too cleverly disguised) slams at conservatives out of you.

I could find many (too many) more that cast aspersions on conservatives, SUV drivers, smokers (evil cigarette only, MJ OK), gun owners (actually that can also be found in the linked thread), etc.

Evie

Collapse -
The UAW

Drove up car prices
Drove down quality
Made Japan #1

Collapse -
I agree that quality is down!

In reply to: The UAW

I bought some Levis and they are wearing out faster than my old jeans. I let them know about it, too. Maybe I should send them another email asking them what steps they have taken, and suggest that they move back to the US from whatever South American country they are making it in.

Collapse -
Sorry this had to happen ...

... hopefully the guilty parties will be rooted out and punished. Meanwhile I hope this crap doesn't dampen the resolve of these great men and women ... Derek of course included!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Rats, guess the censor machine got mine

It said (Ill modify the spelling, here):

Disgusting! I wonder if theres some way to blackbull them?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.