Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

THERE IS INSUFFICIENT MEMORY OR DISK SPACE.

by 3151jeff / July 3, 2005 12:48 PM PDT

CLOSE EXTRA WINDOWS AND SAVE YOUR WORK. This is the message I am getting when I attempt to paste something to word, so I could save it. The size of the work from two lines to two pages gets me this message.
My System is P4- 2.8G- 512RAM- 160GB Hard Drive.
Running Windows XP media center edition
CAN ANYONE HELP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: THERE IS INSUFFICIENT MEMORY OR DISK SPACE.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: THERE IS INSUFFICIENT MEMORY OR DISK SPACE.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What version of Word?
by Stan Chambers / July 3, 2005 1:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
VERSION OF WORD is 2002
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: What version of Word?

I am running XP will the 2000 info help or apply

Collapse -
Word Fixall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2005 11:29 PM PDT

Delete NORMAL.DOT, run WORD and try again.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok I will delete
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Word Fixall.

Thanks for the tip. May I ask is this NORMAL.DOT and how do I delete it. Thanks again

Collapse -
Both....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2005 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok I will delete

It's the default template for Word. I use either the file search feature to find it or just fish for it. It's a common issue and I just delete it and retry.

Bob

Collapse -
LOOKING BUT CAN'T FIND
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Both....

I used the search feature from the start menu then opened the Word progam and looked under templates and documents, all with no luck. I am not real computer savy and at a dead end. Could you be more specific as how to find NORMAL.DOT
That is "NORMAL"(large caps) "."(dot) "DOT" (large caps) is that correct?

Collapse -
Use the Search feature.....
by Michael Geist / July 4, 2005 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: LOOKING BUT CAN'T FIND

on your Start menu.

Collapse -
I JUST SAID THAT
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

I had tried the search feature. I searched under Word documents and all files & folders. I tried upper and lower case and found nothing unless I am doing some thing wrong. Any suggestions

Collapse -
Go to start, search
by glb613 / July 4, 2005 10:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I JUST SAID THAT

then click on all files and folders. Type in the name normal.dot then search. Delete what it finds.

Collapse -
I DID Exactly
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Go to start, search

What you said and it came up "Search is complete. There are no results to display" Maybe I never had this file and somthing else is wrong.

Collapse -
If you cant find normal.dot, you are not looking correctly.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2005 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I DID Exactly
Collapse -
BOB This is strange
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 12:37 PM PDT

I followed youer instructions and read up on the info in that link and followed the procedure and it found these 5 files
:IE logo ''dnerror.aspx?FORM=DNSAS...''
under that it says ''C :Documents and settings\A...''

:Word logo ''Normal''
under that same as above

:Word logo ~$Normal''
under that same as first

:IE logo''If you can't find normal.dot,you are not looking correctly.-Wi...''
under that ''reviews.cnet(reviews.cnet.com)''

:IE logo ''MSN Search:normal.dot--More Useful Everyday
under that ''sea.search.msn(sea.search....

THESE ARE EXACTLY HOW THEY LOOK EXCEPT I CAN'T REPRODUCE THE LOGOs. Also when I preview this post the happy face showed up and I do not know why or how it got there. It is supposed to start as C Documents with the : between the C and documents.
Looking for advice on what to delete and what is the story on the smiley face?

Collapse -
The smiley is a side effect of the forum software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2005 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: BOB This is strange

It's an oddity we have to bear. I didn't write the last post and attributed it accordingly.

-> But if you use Word, there is a normal.dot somewhere. Some XP machines can't use search which is another issue. I hoped the article might help you check off the boxes in search and find it. If not, try this.

Press Start, Run and enter CMD, then press enter. The next command is...

DIR \NORMAL.DOT /S/A/P

It should find it so you can manuever there with Explorer to delete it.

Bob

Collapse -
Do the five items
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 1:40 PM PDT

That I found using the search function (in the same post as the smiley face) the things I am looking for.
There are two with normal listed, should I delete them? They are something to do with Templates.

Collapse -
u may try this
by moonshekar / December 7, 2008 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: I DID Exactly

my computer->tools->folder options->view->hidden folders->check "show hidden folders".

now try searching for normal.dot file.

Collapse -
Since the post you have replied to
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 7, 2008 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: u may try this

is over 3 years old, I would guess they have fixed the issue now, or moved on.

Mark

Collapse -
I found mine.....
by Michael Geist / July 4, 2005 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I JUST SAID THAT

here>

D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates

yours may be similar. Your root directory may differ.

Collapse -
Comes up as
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I found mine.....

not a valid folder. I tried D: and C:, both came up the same. Perhaps I never had this folder.

Collapse -
TONIGHT AFTER ALL YOUR
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 11:41 AM PDT

Now after everyones help and not being able to find that file. WORD now seems to be working OK . WHY?
The only thing that has happened since this problem began is I shut the computer down and then started it this morning. MAYBE? ANYONE?

Collapse -
My thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2005 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: TONIGHT AFTER ALL YOUR

I wonder after reading one of your posts (smiley) is if you have some spyware on the machine. That's the next item after we try the usual cure.

Bob

Collapse -
I am Lost
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: My thought.

After what usual cure? I jusy checked with AdAawre and Spybot and they come up clean.
The lost part I am referring to, is that you have not told me what to do about what I have found or even if these are the items you referred to. I followed the instructions from the link you supplied and checked the proper boxes. I could find more info on these items if you like, I was just giving you what it said on the search screen. You never commented on anything on my post except the smiley face( thanks by the way) question. Should I start over? I am sorry because I am new and do not pickup on what is probably clear to you about what my next move is.. To sum it up I do not know what to do now.

Collapse -
The usual cure is to delete normal.dot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2005 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: I am Lost

I supplied the command line version to find the file, but you may have missed that one.

To repeat, open a command window and type...

DIR \NORMAL.DOT /S/A/P

My comment is to try this method since it bypasses all the Explorer oddities.

Bob

Collapse -
OK THANKS
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 3:59 PM PDT

Where do I enter a command line, I tried start/search then start/run and they did not work. All I got was ''not a valid folder'' and ''Windows cannot find 'DIR'''. I know I should know where to type in a command line but I don't. Can you help? Thanks for the assistthus far.

Collapse -
Deleting normal.dot
by Dizzy2500 / July 4, 2005 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: OK THANKS

I had a Word problem a few months ago and was advised to delete normal.dot. I did so but it didn't cure the problem. What it DID do was to lose me all my carefully selected Word settings and it took ages to set everything up again. I tried to use Go-Back to retrieve the settings but made a mess of that too!

I CAN boil an egg though, so I'm not a complete dummy whatever you might think!

Collapse -
Sounds like we may be close
by 3151jeff / July 4, 2005 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Deleting normal.dot

on the learning curve tree. I have not perfected boiling an egg to perfection yet and far away from scratching the surface on computers. I have used computers most of my working life but it was always a captive program, and none of this tangle. We had help lines and I don't think most of those guys were as smart as a lot of the people you will find here. This is a good site.
Thanks for the input. Jeff

Collapse -
To GLB613
by 3151jeff / July 5, 2005 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Or try this

I am reading this this article now .Thanks Jeff

Collapse -
In your case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2005 9:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Deleting normal.dot

You could rename normal.dot to normal.old to save your carefully selected settings. You may want to ask Microsoft why this bug still exists over 10 years of Word?

Bob

Collapse -
TO R. PROFFITT
by 3151jeff / July 5, 2005 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: In your case.

I have nothing in settings as I never use it for anything(so far) but to copy an article then paste to Word and print or save.

Collapse -
Go to start
by glb613 / July 4, 2005 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: OK THANKS

all programs, accessaries then command prompt. Type in the command line Bob posted then enter.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?