Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

!!There is a folder named Program, rename to Program_1? !!!!

by Jmaker1 / March 21, 2007 10:03 PM PDT

Program has encountered an error - There is a folder named Program, rename to Program_1 ?/Program_2? Question: AppName : Program AppVer : 0.0.0.0 ModName : Program ModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 0004a2b0 C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER39c7.dir00\Program.mdmp C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER39c7.dir00\appcompat.txt this error includes information regarding the condition of program when the problem occurred. the operating system version and computer hardware.................. ---------

Hi,friends, Anyone met the error above?Big nightmare! This tortures me for a week,I can not bear with it any more. Could anyone kindly help me? Thanks a lot.

Jmaker

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: !!There is a folder named Program, rename to Program_1? !!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: !!There is a folder named Program, rename to Program_1? !!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Program
by D.Light2 / April 4, 2007 6:42 PM PDT

Hello I think I have the exact same problem (since late March) - an error message stating "Program has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" which repeatedly pops up. Who would name a program 'Program'. I can't find a file relating to 'Program' anywhere on my hard drive (which I could delete)? This has to be malicious software (or my computer playing goose with me). Could somebody please help...
Thank You.
Dan Light.

Collapse -
Problem fixed
by D.Light2 / April 9, 2007 6:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Program

select Control Panel and then System. Open Advanced tray and select Error Reporting. Select Disable Error Reporting.
I have reselected Enable Error Reporting and Program hasn't reappeared.
Good Luck.
Dan Light.

Collapse -
To both of you. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2007 9:42 PM PDT

There is a folder called Programs where all your installed programs and utilities are installed. You can verify this by opening Explorer and then opening the C: drive. This is the default folder for all programs. Anything that wants to rename this folder is suspect. Renaming this folder or altering it in any way will cause all programs to fail.

I'm wondering if you both have the appropriate and up-to-date AV and anti-spyware software installed.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and
digital data, internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Please forgive my ignorance, but...
by trublubush / April 5, 2007 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: To both of you. . .

I have worked on literally hundreds of computers with operating systems dating back to 1989 with DOS 3.0 through Windows 3.0(Microsoft's first revised and workable windowed user shell interface supporting full mouse movement) running under DOS 5.0, through Windows NT and 95, etc., and so on up to now. I have never heard of.., or seen any computer with a default Microsoft operating system of any kind utilizing a folder named "C:\Programs." I'm not saying that such an animal doesn't exist, it's just that I've yet to see it for myself. Please correct me if I am wrong here!

As far as XP goes, the default boot partition root directory folder for housing most user programs is named "C:\Program Files" which is also called "c:\progra~1"(DOSname). I mention this because there are many present day viral start-up macros which, deliberately, are written using 16-bit assembly routines which XP will unknowingly execute much faster than a standard 32-bit properly written mainframe. All that's needed is a simple MZ header. This is definitely to the hackers advantage! Creating a folder named "Program" would work well for storing a virus program initializer. The 16-bit macro could slip past a modern AV program without detection!

>Trublu

Collapse -
(NT) Senior moment, left off the word Files.
by Coryphaeus / April 5, 2007 10:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Programs
by Amos16 / April 5, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

Hi - this should not happen but sometimes does. Go to C:\ and see if you find a folder called Programs or Program Files there. Do not change anything on it unless you are an expert and know how and where. But you can make another Program Files folder, on a different partition, and move most of your programs there. This will work. If you have only one partition, make a New Folder and name it Program Fles (without the i), move your programs there. You can then probably find the offending file on the original Program Files folder and delete it. Working with two folders of different names will not interfere with the working of the computer, and everything listed there will show up on Start/(All)Programs. But remember that you must keep the original Program Files folder, even if it is empty because otherwise there is trouble. Good luck - Amos.

Collapse -
Program Error
by Strub121 / April 23, 2007 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Programs

Hello Amos,

I'm having the same problem as the other posters. I have cleaned my temp files - no help. I have also tried a registry clean up program which did not help either. The problem continues. I read your post and would like to try what you have said but like others I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to what you have described. Can you give more information. Thank you. Any other information would be most appreciated.

Collapse -
Program fles
by Amos16 / April 23, 2007 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Program Error

Hello Strub - there is little I can add beyond suggesting STRONGLY that you do clean out all your Temp files and also use CCleaner which is a tried and tested program. If you do have a DOS entry in your XP files content (such as PROGRA~1) then delete it there. It should appear only in your Command Prompt listings. In any case if the problem has not been solved by the anti-virus and other cleaners, it may be a good idea to look at the C:\ partition under Command Prompt and compare it to the same partition under Windows XP. They should be the same except for the different languages. If the anti-virus does not do its work under Windows, try getting rid of it in Safe Mode (assuming you know how to enter Safe Mode). There is another way, but a little complicated so I would try Safe Mode first. Good luck - Amos.

Collapse -
I'm NO Expert but Isn't the Location of Both Mentioned .....
by tobeach / April 5, 2007 3:52 PM PDT

as located in" C:\DOCUME~1\username\LOCALS~1\Temp\". If problem is in a *temp file, would not emptying ALL temp files get rid of the source?

I use CCleaner daily to dump temp files, user .dat, history etc, etc.

If infected, when running CCleaner for first time, you ALSO need to go to "Options">Advanced and uncheck the box saying "Only clean Windows temp files older than 48 hours" for the first pass & then recheck that box.

Here's a link to one of my posts on this which has download link for CCleaner:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=234114&messageID=2406816#2406816

Perhaps this IS too simplistic. For what it's worth..G'Luck! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?