HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

There goes the red channel... psc587000 plasma woes.

by dayvb / October 22, 2011 8:17 AM PDT

Hi all,

So i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this already but...

Last night as we were watching TV all of a sudden all the reds dissapeared from the screen leaving us with a wonderful bluey green image. I've tried pretty much everything (outside of opening the tv and fiddling around with the hardware) but to no avail, it appears the red channel is well and truly gone.

Now this is certainly not the first issue i've had with this screen, i've had repair guys out no less than FOUR times in the year since I bought it to fix problems that have never actually been fixed but now i'm about a month out of the original warranty. Whilst I was told that the warranty would be extended (because one of the guys replaced the entire panel) I'm looking around and I don't seem to have it in writing.

I've had an absolutely terrible experience with samsung support up to this stage (the two exceptions being hdtech on this site who has always been patient and polite and the first person i spoke to on the phone at samsung oz who was also very polite and helpful), i'm pretty sure they were just stalling fixing or replacing anything until my warranty ran out. I'm really worried now they're going to try to get out of fixing this problem under warranty as all the other problems i've reported I still have, nothing has been fixed.

Has anyone else had this colour issue? Is there something really simple I should try before having to deal with support?

Thanks for any advice,

Dave.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: There goes the red channel... psc587000 plasma woes.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: There goes the red channel... psc587000 plasma woes.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Other ways to get support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2011 8:25 AM PDT

You have your current way as well as this monday using the top post labeled "SERVICE ISSUES."
Bob

Collapse -
thanks Bob,
by dayvb / October 22, 2011 8:34 AM PDT

Yep the service issues thread send you to a US facebook support site, not so much use for me unfortunately Sad

Collapse -
This is why
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2011 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks Bob,

Members need to post the country at least. If you had written Canada, England my answers change.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks again,
by dayvb / October 22, 2011 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: This is why

i will remember that for next time and put samsung oz up the top instead of in the body of the question.

However I thought i made it sort of clear that I came here specifically to AVOID dealing with samsung support as i've had such a terrible experience so far.

I was simply asking other members of this forum if they had had the same problem as me and if they had a quick solution. It is sunday now and the Rugby world cup is on tonight and I can't use my $3000 tv to watch it, if there was a quick fix someone had it would have been nice to hear about it otherwise i will of course be contacting samsung support tomorrow when I will no doubt find that I have to miss more work to wait at home for six hours to fix a television.

Anyway if anyone else has had this problem it'd be great if you could let me know of your experience.

Cheers,

Dave.

Collapse -
OK. Now that it's Oz.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2011 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks again,

Reply to your top post with the Transaction Number and when the Ambassador comes around hope they can forward it to those that can help in your country. It's not a sure thing but I've seen it happen.
Bob

Collapse -
ok cool
by dayvb / October 22, 2011 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: OK. Now that it's Oz.

thanks Bob, will do.

Collapse -
Answer
now it's just worse
by dayvb / October 29, 2011 10:26 AM PDT

This is about a samsung product in Australia.

Claim/Job no 22393 (ps58c7000yfxxy)

So the repair guy from samsung came out yesterday and installed a new motherboard into the screen. This fixed the red channel issue and we were happy and so he left.

There are now two brand new major issues with the tv.

1: There is now a nearly 8 second delay between changing the channel and the audio starting for the new channel.

2: Even worse the 3d functionality has stopped working completely.

I can't begin to explain how frustrating this is. It seems at every turn something with this tv has come back to bite us. I sat down this morning to play some games in 3d (on xbox) and lo and behold nothing works. The ps3 now won't even recognise that the tv has 3d functionality (3dbluray) and even the 2D-3D conversion system doesn't work. It is not the glasses, all five pairs show the same issue, and you can see the 3d is not working simply enough by just looking at the screen. I've upgraded to the latest firmware again for the new motherboard and still no change.

I'm at my wits end with this screen. I don't know what the chances of this are but if anyone can pass this up to samsung to get it escalated here in australia I would really appreciate it.

Dave.

Collapse -
actually
by dayvb / October 29, 2011 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: now it's just worse

i think the relevant job number might be - 4121691722

Collapse -
actually
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 31, 2011 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: actually

dayvb -

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.