Speakeasy forum

General discussion

There are no serious problems in Texas. It's official.

by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 12:42 AM PDT

When they have to start debating crap like this it's time to consider that that the Texas legislature is meeting too often.

Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: There are no serious problems in Texas. It's official.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: There are no serious problems in Texas. It's official.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
off subject - this site allows you to skip registration
by kmarchal / May 5, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
How does that differ from our shared passwords here?
Collapse -
I understand the US Congress was going to get involved....
by Josh K / May 5, 2005 3:03 AM PDT

...right after the steroid hearings were over, but then they got called into an emergency session to decide whether Jennifer Wilbanks' fiance should still have to marry her.

Collapse -
(NT) Busy lil' beavers, ain't they?
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 3:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
Actually, the Texas legislature doesn't meet enough, Dan.

It only meets for 140 days every other year, which is not nearly long enough or often enough for the second largest/most populous state in the nation. As a result, the only professionals in bill-writing are the lobbyists!

But such nonense is by no means limited to Texas -- remember the low-riding pants bill (Louisiana?) Just visit any of the "dumb law" sites and consider those were all passed by some legislative body or other, and signed by some executive!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I know, Dave. I was going
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 3:56 AM PDT

for the whole irony thing. Wink

Dan

Collapse -
hey, don't insult Lousiana like that...
by Dick White / May 5, 2005 6:50 AM PDT

The low-rider pants bill was here in VA (not LA). But then, it is my distinct impression that Lousianna is plenty capable of their own silliness...

dw

Collapse -
Oddly enough ...
by Evie / May 5, 2005 6:40 AM PDT

... it is a law initiated by a Democrat. Wink

Collapse -
Something needs to be done
by kmarchal / May 5, 2005 7:24 AM PDT

Until you go to a Jr High School sporting event and you see young Jr High Ladies/Girls doing routines that mimic pole dancing. You have no idea on this subject?.The ACLU is wrong on this one? this is not artistic expression for Jr. High Girl. If this is the artistic dancing that someone want to indulge in maybe one should wait until they graduate. This is truly IMO

Collapse -
You've mistake my point.
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 7:38 AM PDT

There is no civil liberties issue here, nor have I suggested that there is. My point is to mock the Texas legislature for wasting their time on this.

To address the action of the cheerleaders you should really approach the parents, principal, and school board.

Dan

Collapse -
So we have you on board ...
by Evie / May 5, 2005 7:40 AM PDT

... to abolish the federal Dept of Education and those at the state level as well. Educating our children should be a matter between parents, principal and school board. I'm with you!

Collapse -
Wow! That came out of nowhere, Evie,
by Dan McC / May 5, 2005 7:42 AM PDT

even for you.

What are you talking about?

Dan

Collapse -
Well ...
by Evie / May 5, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

... if the behavior of cheerleaders at school (public funded) events/supervision/sponsorship is not the business of the legislature, why is anything else that goes on in school?

Collapse -
You're comparing apples
by Dan McC / May 6, 2005 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Well ...

to many things that are nothing like apples, Evie.

There are a variety of issues in education and schooling that must be handled in a variety of ways.

Dan

Collapse -
Not really ...
by Evie / May 6, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

... but I don't expect you to see the parallels.

Collapse -
I don't see what isn't there.
by Dan McC / May 6, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Not really ...

I leave that to others.

Dan

Collapse -
I agree, Ken.
by crowsfoot / May 6, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

There are lines. Not to abstruct, but to give a little space for kids not to have to deal with adult matters till just a little bit later on.

Collapse -
But the Texas Senate isn't on board...
Collapse -
(NT) *whew*
by Dan McC / May 6, 2005 12:13 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!