Speakeasy forum

General discussion

THE WORLD is so full of a number of things,

by netsky / October 26, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

THE WORLD is so full of a number of things,
I?m sure we should all be as happy as kings.

a copy and paste of a favorite verse by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Here I essay for us all, every one, to weave something into this thread of small thoughts and small wonders. Nothing ugly, nothing harmful.

I hope you should add your own favorite musings, wonders and delights.

Why not ask how something works, who was what, pen or copy in a favorite verse, what makes the sky blue? What is it like to be black, white, old, young, alive, dead? Why are there so many diverse things and people and things in the world?

You go first? Take a break, a partial cure for present resentments.

Today we are alive and together.
no tomorrow
will ever
be the same.

===THE WORLD is so full of a number of things,
I?m sure we should all be as happy as kings.====

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: THE WORLD is so full of a number of things,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: THE WORLD is so full of a number of things,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
God, what a straight line
by EdH / October 26, 2004 9:11 AM PDT

But I resist

Collapse -
for ed
by netsky / October 26, 2004 11:21 AM PDT

(edh, if you have a more comic line to use on me, than i just wrote (but edited OUT, lol) you could'a should'a unleashed it while you had a chance.

Now, any more rejoinder from you would just land here with no more ill effect on my love cake thread than a fly stuck the frosting. A whisk of my butterknife. Done. Your fly is caught forever in this thread. lol.

idleness reminds me of =another father= from 1906. I presume you are a dad. Probably; most men are.

from memory, for edh:

Everybody works but father
He sits around all day.
Feet in front of the fireplace,
Smoking his pipe of Clay.
Mother takes in washing.
So does sister Anne.
Everybody works in OUR house
But MY old man!

Collapse -
I miss my swiss
by netsky / October 26, 2004 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: for ed

a few lines from a nonsense song of 1925.

I miss
My Swiss
My Swiss miss misses me.

I miss
The bliss
That Swiss kiss gave to me

She was a working girl
Down on her knees
Working hard
In the yard
Punnnching
Holes in cheese!

Her dear
Papa
Makes watches that are Swiss
That's why
He watches me like THIS

(roll eyes left, right, tick tock style)

now, ain't that cute stuff. You all should hear the Happiness Boys (jones and hare) sing it on record. Much joy they were.

Collapse -
Another Ed, also tragic
by netsky / October 26, 2004 11:43 AM PDT

Ed Gallaher-talented vaudevillian was a tempestuous alcoholic. He teamed for a while with Groucho Marx's mentor-uncle, Al Shean.

The two played off each other. Ed was the straight man. Shean was the comic "yid" immigrant with impossibly german accent to his voice. Such a great man he was. Such a long and successful life. Unlike poor Ed Gallagher, who self destructed by 1929.

Their famous recording is accessible on the net for free. Here is a smattering of their discologial patter from "Positively Mr Gallagher? Absolutely! Mr. Shean!", 1922. I've known most of the lyric by heart since i was 12 and kindly old Mr. Graham across the street died and his daughter came down from New York and threw all of his old possesions into the street. Victor black lables became Frisbies in the hands of the normal kids of the neighborhood. But, being abby-normal brained myself I saved a handful and played them and found a fascination with that long ago era of King Tut and flivvers...

-this is a "telephone style" conversation in song style. Hence the shouted repetition

Oh Mr. Gallagher?
Oh Mr. Gallagher?

G: Yes? Hello!!!

S: Vimmins' Rights is turning out to be a joke!

G: no!
S YES!

S: They've been given the right to vote
But just to get your goat
In public places now,
they demand the right to smoke!

G: ha ha!(and spoken quickly)
You don't know the half of it!
Why, Mr. Sheen,
Oh Mr. Sheeeeen,
They also love to gamble on the green!
Why they indulge in games of chance
where you can
Lose your shirt and pants...

S: I'm speaking uf VIMMIN!, Mr. Gallagher!

G: That makes no diff-rence, Mr. Sheen!

----

Collapse -
our inherent tunnel vision
by netsky / October 26, 2004 11:58 AM PDT

Surely, on the web somewhere there must exist MD expaination for why we are -blind- to all visual detail, outside of a tiny coin of our central field.

That is, try to read my words here with any other stare than dead-on.

You can't you are legally blind, even you with healthy eyes. Legally blind and practically blind IF you should lose or block-out your a five degree cone or so of your center visual field.

Try it.

Hold a coin-sized hole *your curled thumb and index finger* for instance, about six or twelve inches in front of your eye. See how you can 'read through" this hole?

Now shift your glance but NOT this port hole, ever so slightly to the left or right. Now you are blind to print, yes?

Yes you are.

As one who once experience an anomolous bout with a strange thing called "central serous retinopathy", i ever after appprecated how limited and miraculous is our normal sight.

WHY is the eye "good" only in its' most central field? Why is this "good enough" that natural selection did not make it better? Were we not, some of us, hunters in green jungles? Would not more acute vision require some natural redesign of the retina?

Or would that improved, enlarged USEFUL central field require more BRAIN power?

An MD or opthamologist must know a lot about this miracle of our un-noticed, inherent blindness to ALL detail, presented outside of our TINY central field of view. All else is mere warning of shapes, colors and movements. No greater data than generalities can we extract from our large, peripheral view.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) things to delight children
by netsky / October 26, 2004 12:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Fifteen straws, remove six and leave ten
by netsky / October 26, 2004 12:38 PM PDT

A visual pun for children.

Obtain fifteen soda straws or fifteen toothpicks even better.

set up the pun outside the child's view

-form the word T E N from the sticks

-box in the three letters with three sticks for the "T", one to box the "E" and two sticks to the "N"

Now call over the child and instruct it that here, is a good puzzle.

say "see if you can remove 6 toothpicks and leave *10* " (so, he/she -thinks).

A brain-teasing conundrum for the child.

Adults, too, will fail this "test" if they have not seen it before.

When you show the solution the adult gets all testy, flustered! Their adult ego always kicks them in their pants.

But the child? There always comes a BIG grin and laugh! Instantly the child grabs up the straws, goes and hunts down a sibling or a peer to spring the trick upon. I

t is always this way. It is always a pure joy between adult and child with this fresh, old trick I learned as a Cub Scout.

Collapse -
Suck a lemon
by netsky / October 26, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

paternal grandmother did this for me as a tiny tot. No doubt it was a custom of her youth, too.

Roll a fresh, whole lemon under your palm, on the countertop, briskly, to break up the pulp inside and free up the lemon juice.

Cut lemon in half. Knife a slit into the lemon center.

Insert an old fashioned peppermint stick candy like it were a straw.

The pepperment stick of old, at least, has a tiny, internal tubular hole for its length. It -is- a straw.

The lemon is sipped through the peppermint. Sugar and sour equals tart lemonade with a peppermint overlay.

Tasty and delightful for any child. I have not had one since she died in '64 but some good ideas should never perish.

Collapse -
coins in b'day cake
by netsky / October 26, 2004 12:51 PM PDT

Tiny children in particular will love this idea. No one died of choking that i know about, but you MUST warnd them to have a care. The very -idea- that each forkfull can potentially carry a treasure guarantees tiny brains are LOOKING for silver booty. No one should come to harm....but lest the FDA is reading, I say do this at your own posterty's risk:

from my same grandmother (so wonderful, like yours)

-boil coins of your choosing in soap and water to make them clean and sanitary. wrap them individually in old fashioned wax paper. Insert them into the cake before or just during the baking (i cannot say just when she pressed them into the mix)

the wrapped coins- few or perhaps more, can be found quite easily upon the cutting with fork. They never go into a mouth, you see. A penney, a nickel, a dime, a dollar... you be the artist and your grandchild will never forget this unique surprise cake, nor you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?