General discussion

The Windows 7 RC

by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 4, 2009 9:02 AM PDT

Is this releasing tomorrow?

Rup
123Triad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Windows 7 RC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Windows 7 RC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) As noted in the forum sticky, yes, it is public tomorrow.
by John.Wilkinson / May 4, 2009 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: The Windows 7 RC
Collapse -
Go here for more info
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 5, 2009 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oh.
by FrankQC / May 5, 2009 6:48 AM PDT

Thanks for reminding me. I almost completely forgot haha.

Collapse -
HAHA and you though Windows 7 RC was ......
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 5, 2009 1:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh.

FREE ?

Microsoft Says

"Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.

Rup
123Triad

Collapse -
What?
by FrankQC / May 5, 2009 8:39 PM PDT

I never hinted that I thought it was free. I wanted the RC version should I want it in the future. Nothing is free.

Collapse -
Businesses sell things/services, right?
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 6, 2009 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: What?

I think Frank's right here, you wouldn't expect Microsoft to just give things away for free. Microsoft is a business and businesses have employees and those employees get paid... with money.

That being said, the fact that they're offering the Windows 7 RC for a one-year time period is pretty huge. It will give people a lot of time to get accustomed to it before it goes on sale to the general public.

For any other questions, check out that link I posted above.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Windows 7 RC
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 6, 2009 2:21 AM PDT

No I was not making remarks out about Frank or anybody in here , A lot of folks are assuming it in various forums all over the net Happy

Rup
123Triad

Collapse -
Hmm...
by FrankQC / May 6, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

There 'might' be promotions but don't count on getting them haha.. Unless you get Windows 7 from MSDN, yet you're still paying for it through the subscription so technically you're still paying for it.

Ok I correct myself -- SOME things are free. Linux is free, haha. You still need the hardware for it though.

Collapse -
How's it going?
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 7, 2009 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm...

FrankQC ? I know we spoke about your Beta experience, how are you finding the RC?

Collapse -
I gave up
by FrankQC / May 7, 2009 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: How's it going?

I downloaded it should I want to use it in the future. As for now I'm not using Windows but rather Linux. Easier to use.

Collapse -
Out of curiosity...
by John.Wilkinson / May 7, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I gave up

How long did it take? I downloaded it from Connect, before the public release, and it was running at a sub-par 80KB/s then. I can only imagine what it was like once the download went public and the servers were hit with thousands of simultaneous requests.

John

Collapse -
500kbps to 1.1mbps.. Took less than 1.5 hours to download
by FrankQC / May 7, 2009 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Out of curiosity...

My Internet is 10mbps download 1mbps upload.

I went away from keyboard when it downloaded.

Collapse -
p.s.
by FrankQC / May 7, 2009 7:52 AM PDT

It took me 3 tries.

First try: stopped because I lost my network -- Linux kernel update screwed up my update... Went afk and came back and it jammed.

Second try: stopped cuz of first try. I just gave it another chance. Screwed up again.

Third try: Reached 500kbps to 1.1mbps. I didn't go away from keyboard. That was after I reverted back to the older kernel. I was watching it the whole time haha.

Frank

Collapse -
Took me 3.5 hours
by Jonmor68 / May 7, 2009 9:15 AM PDT

DL 60-155kbs from M$ official page.
Took 20 minutes to install, it found all drivers without intervention.
Spent the rest of the day reinstalling programs.
I love the new themes, there is a set for Australia, beautifull photos of Sydney harbour as well as outback scenery.

Collapse -
took me little over 2 Hours
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 7, 2009 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Took me 3.5 hours

I have installed it on a spare machine , I think its cool , found all my hardware drivers without any reboots, I thin RC is a marked improvement over Vista and XP in both performance and improvement. The only thing I don't like so far is the Taskbar.

Rupesh Narvekar
123Triad

Collapse -
Updates already !!
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 9, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Took me 3.5 hours

It was recently launched and Windows Automatic updates is already downloading critical updates for me !! Happy

Rup
123Triad

Collapse -
i downloaded it twice wednesday with no problems
by ramarc / May 7, 2009 10:59 AM PDT

took about 45 minutes each time. i burned the .iso and deleted the download my burner doesn't like my new pack of DVDs. i downloaded it again, burned it again with the same results. but winrar'ing the .iso allowed me to install it without issue.

so i'm a very happy camper cause it works great on my 2 year old laptop... much better than vista! Wink

Collapse -
p.s.: i did an upgrade to my toshiba satellite
by ramarc / May 7, 2009 11:10 AM PDT

upgraded from vista ultimate. i expected a lot of problems, but so far the only thing i've had to do is reinstall acrobat viewer. (acrobat would pop up and complain that the pdf can't be shown in the browser but then it would show it in the browser.) no hardware problems and no driver installs needed.

my software includes:
firefox and safari
ms office 2007 w/windows live mail
visual studio 2008
sql server 2008 and associated tools (sp1 got installed via windows update)
adobe presenter
picasa 3 and a many google freebies
nero 7
hp's finicky all-in-one multifunction software
pinform's defraggler and recuva

they all work fine.

Collapse -
yes its muchhhh faster
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 7, 2009 11:48 PM PDT

My spare inspiron 700m was crying with Vista. RC is lightening fast when compared to Vista or even XP and even on a old machine.

Rupesh
123Triad

Collapse -
Good to hear
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 11, 2009 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: yes its muchhhh faster

So, it's been a while since your post. Are things still going well? I've installed on a couple computer now and haven't seen any major problems.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Yes Love it !
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 11, 2009 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to hear

However I won't put it on all my machines yet. Will decide later when the pricing is out ( just incase ya know ).

This is so much nicer like the Mac but of course you feel at home with windows.
Rup
123 Triad

Collapse -
No idea on pricing yet
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 12, 2009 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to hear
Collapse -
Cool, cool
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 8, 2009 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I gave up

Well, if you get it running, let me know what you thin. Personally, I'm loving it on my secondary PC. Didn't feel like dual-booting my primary.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
sweet
by caazi / May 15, 2009 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: How's it going?

Been running Windows 7 on my work PC for a week now. I like it a lot. Super fast even with all the visual effects and fades. I'm a highly experienced PC and Mac Tech. Computer I'm running 7 on... well it isn't much, best stat it has is 2GB's of Ram, haha. Anyway with 7 it runs like a beast! Was a total dog with Vista on it.
Every Driver was installed upon 1st boot of 7 which was nice but don't trust it. Sound driver was wrong and had distortion, but it took the XP driver of the MSI site perfectly! I have installed all kinds of software including a few that kept our clients from going to vista (Quickbooks pre 2007 and some 3rd party CRM junk) all worked great with Windows 7.
Think I'm going to install it at home and see how it games. I hated having to run DX10 games in vista.
Noticed it runs an activation at least once a day... hence not free. March 1 2010 or when ever going to have to buy it. and yes of course you have to reinstall. Upgrading RC would be silly.
Anyway MS hit the ball out of the park in my opinion. Soon it will be time for us all to leave XP and forget Vista.

Collapse -
RE: RonS
by FrankQC / May 12, 2009 1:08 AM PDT

Sure, holidays, but it better be better than Vista haha... I just don't want Microsoft to rush-polish Windows 7 so it can be out for the holidays.

Collapse -
I agree
by rupeshnarvekar1977 / May 12, 2009 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: RonS

I hope the home edition is about $80-$90 though

Rup
123Triad

Collapse -
Haven't seen anything on pricing yet
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 13, 2009 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

But, you can bet there will be more and more trickling out now that they've set a (semi-firm) date for release.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
(NT) If anything it will be the same as Vista when it came out.
by FrankQC / May 13, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Upgrade from Vista
by ucity2 / May 14, 2009 1:38 AM PDT

I did what the Microsoft people warned against, and that is installing the RC on your main machine. My Dell E520 came with the Vista OS and it gave me so much grief I was willing to either install XP or try the RC.
I had no problems with the download or the ISO conversion, and decided to try an upgrade rather than a clean install. It took 3 hours for the upgrade, but after the final reboot the RC came up without a hitch.
I had to reinstall my printer using the default drivers and was forced to use the native screen resolution which made a lot of the web pages look miniscule. That was the only difficulty though. I have been using the RC for three weeks now and have come to like it quite a bit. Maybe it's just because I've been battling Vista for the past two years, but it seems like it's the best OS from Microsoft thus far. All my programs work just fine and it even got rid of that annoying "Please wait while Windows install Microsoft Ofiice 2007" that I had to endure every time I opened an Office 2007 program.
I still run Vista on my laptop but plan on upgrading both machines to Windows 7 come next Spring.
I would say "Thank You" to Microsoft for making this very stable RC available to us but I won't because I have never gotten an apology from them for the Vista debacle either.

Collapse -
Sounds good!
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 15, 2009 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrade from Vista

I'll admit, I also have it installed as my main OS on my main machine - but I also took the necessary steps to back up my system and have all my discs in case I need to do a recovery.

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.