Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The wheels have come off the Toyota gravy train.............

for a lot of people.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/07/14/toyota-black-box-tests-driver-error-caused-crashes/?test=latestnews

"The U.S. Department of Transportation has analyzed dozens of data recorders from Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration and found that the throttles were wide open and the brakes weren't engaged at the time of the crash, people familiar with the findings said".

Translation:People slam the gas to the floor instead of the brakes and blame the car for the crash?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The wheels have come off the Toyota gravy train.............
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The wheels have come off the Toyota gravy train.............
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no doubt some do for sure

There were some other cars in past had pedal locations that made that too easy. Might be same for Toyotas.

I've noticed something that worries me about my wife's Buick. Since I'm driving it right now till the instrument cluster comes back repaired, (wife driving my van) I've noticed the Cruise Control doesn't reset to "OFF" between crankups. My Dodge Grand Caravan does, which is what I think all vehicles could do. The danger is if the last setting was about 70 mph and someone gets in the next day, not realize the Cruise control is still active and accidentally hits the Resume key. Of course if it surges on a takeoff in attempt to resume that speed while you are going 35 mph down the road, a quick hit to brakes will stop it, but I can see where it might contribute to an accident. It's amazing to me the Cruise Control doesn't completely reset to off between crank ups.

Collapse -
No doubt some lawyer will read your post and start

In reply to: no doubt some do for sure

contacting Buick owners to see if they might have noticed a problem with their cruise control. I'm also driving a Caravan and the good news is that the cruise control works impeccably. The bad news is that the cruise control is one of the few things that works properly at all. Happy

Collapse -
recalls on latest caravans

In reply to: No doubt some lawyer will read your post and start

Good place to find the recalls. There's an ODIS site which goes over complaints filed, and you can file one there too. It's a shame Chrysler/Dodge has let quality slip on their minivans. In past they've been the most bang for the buck on extras and comforts.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/
click on right side for "Search Selected Type".

http://lemonauto.com/complaints/daimler_chrysler/dodge_caravan.htm

Chrysler Group LLC on Wednesday asked the owners of more than 355,000 of its popular minivans to take them to dealers in a few months to replace crash sensors that help to control the air bags.

The sensors can crack and fail in 2005 and 2006 Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan models,
============
Chrysler is recalling 6,138 my 2009 town and country and dodge grand caravan vehicles. Unused electrical connectors for the blind spot detection system may become corroded and could short circuit, which can cause a variety of conditions. If the fuse for this circuit does not blow, the connectors could overheat and potentially catch fire
========
DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group is recalling 268,800 vehicles from the 2005-2006 model years to replace a faulty front windshield wiper motor, the company said Monday.
The wiper motor armature shaft on the vehicles, which include the Dodge Durango, Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan, and Chrysler Town & Country, can break and disable the wipers
=========

Collapse -
To think...

In reply to: The wheels have come off the Toyota gravy train.............

I have no thought that hitting the wrong pedal is very possible. But, I also find that having a small compartment where pedals are located and in some cases seems to be an after-thought. Further, when in a "panic stop", time is of the essence, where one can't or doesn't realize what is happening until too late.

One incident I had, is having to think I didn't have my foot on the brake. Why? because all other cars were going forward during a traffic jam. Keeping my brake on and feeling it but seeing cars going forward, I thought I was rolling backwards. The mind took awhile to realize this but the effect never-the-less seemed I was in the wrong, but wasn't. It happens. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Good.

Always suspected most of those claims were bogus. Too bad Toyota got its reputation dragged through the mud. We've had 3 Camrys over the years and all of them have been excellent cars.

Collapse -
So when does Mr. Toyoda go back to Washington

to receive his apology? Wink

Collapse -
why?

In reply to: So when does Mr. Toyoda go back to Washington

shouldn't they go to Japan to give it? Let's see, start with head of NHTSA? Next a few congressmen?

Collapse -
I like your idea better

In reply to: why?

and they should arrive dressed as clowns.

Collapse -
(NT) Let the losers pay for any pending litigation!

Collapse -
Wrong sized floor mat

This was the big one that couldn't get away

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39241874/ns/business-autos

"Investigators found that a wrong-sized floor mat that trapped the accelerator was to blame."

The car was borrowed from a dealer and had the wrong sized floor mat which caused the accelerator to stick. So who do we blame for that? Toyota ownership or their engineering? So the car was probably a demo or loaner and the mats were probably not designed for the car. So the question is who put the mats in the car? Did it come from the factory this way or maybe put there by the dealer. The dealer got off scot free.

Collapse -
Rumor has it Steven that.........

In reply to: Wrong sized floor mat

the settlement was in the $10M range,quite a motivation for those involved.

Excuse my skepticism but I've been a master tech on these cars for damn near 30yrs and have never seen nor confirmed any type of vehicle self acceleration problem.

With all respect to those involved.

Perhaps it's just not politically correct for either Toyota or the "news media" to question,(but not me)but how could a CHP officer who's trained in high speed pursuit "just forget" all the training he had in his almost 20yr career?

Collapse -
(NT) My mistake...the dealer not out of the woods

In reply to: Wrong sized floor mat

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.