The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The War on Windows

by Steve Granville / February 8, 2009 7:31 PM PST

The issue of Windows 7 UAC control's annoyance versus "making you more secure" is starting to sound quite familiar.

The Patriot Act is quite annoying.

ok - no more politics! I apologise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The War on Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The War on Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You must be kidding
by Balls_Maximus / February 9, 2009 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: The War on Windows

The patriot Act is the single most important thing keeping us safe from terrorists. I am willing to sacrafic--- ok, ok, I'm joking, I'm joking.

I once thought American Patriots fought for freedom

Collapse -
Oh The Irony
by Renegade Knight / February 11, 2009 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: You must be kidding

Calling the most freedom destroying thing to come out way in a long time the Patriot act. Even more ironic that real patriots would be the ones opposed to it.

Collapse -
Response to "Oh the Irony"
by Steve Granville / February 11, 2009 3:10 PM PST
In reply to: Oh The Irony

I have one word for you...."Doublespeak"... or should that be two words.

Ref: Nineteen Eighty Four (a double-plus good read)

Collapse -
I use comodo firewall
by mementh / February 9, 2009 10:31 AM PST

I use comodo firewall, which has a simalar UAC deal but gives more power imho to control what happens in the system. (does not black the screen out but keeps programs from running or doing other things if you don't trust them)

Collapse -
The difference is
by Nicholas Buenk / February 9, 2009 6:59 PM PST

You can turn UAC off. You can't ask the government for the patriot act to not apply to you. Wink
Also we are only talking about the default settings as well as the ability of an app to change the UAC settings.

Collapse -
sugg: trademark "The War on Windows"...
by shmody / February 13, 2009 4:19 AM PST

sugg: trademark "The War on Windows"... It really captures a large part of the overall OS battle.

--S

Collapse -
reply to shmody
by Steve Granville / February 13, 2009 6:14 AM PST

It does have a ring to it, but I'm sure someone in the open source community has already used it.

I'm not sure about this, but can a forum timestamp work as a sort of copyright? - or will it now be owned by CBS?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?