General discussion

The've already won so, why bother

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: The've already won so, why bother
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The've already won so, why bother
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wow!

Details are sketchy at the moment, but he was doing something suspicious in the bathroom on the plane.

The report says it may be he did nothing worse than smoking on the flight. However the same report suggests when questioned, he said he was trying to blow the plane up with a shoe bomb. If he was being cute, then I bet he regrets saying that now.

Mark

- Collapse -
I can't figure out why an airline stewardess can't

ID cigarette smoke. Geesh, any high school teacher I once knew could walk by the rest room and even tell you the brand of the contraband. Happy

- Collapse -
Cigs are sometimes used as fuses...

for bombs or other devices. This bozo should NOT be in our country.

I find it funny that some of "them" get into a homicidal rage over a political cartoon, but don't understand why we might get a little upset over someone starting a fire on an airliner.

Maybe they should have just asked him to step outside... BEFORE final approach.

- Collapse -
sir walter raleigh

all over again. Did they toss a bucket of water on him?

- Collapse -
He has "diplomatic immunity"

..... and showed a smart-aleck mouth when he said he was trying to set his shoes on fire

But there are no charges.

[Al Modadi's comments Wednesday set off a chain reaction of security and terrorism responses, including F-16 fighter jets that scrambled from Buckley Air Force Base in Colorado to accompany the flight during its descent into Denver. The plane was met by the FBI and local law enforcement

"We respect the necessity of special security precautions involving air travel, but this diplomat was traveling to Denver on official embassy business on my instructions," Ambassador Ali Bin Fahad Al-Hajri wrote in the statement, "and he was certainly not engaged in any threatening activity."

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/qatar-diplomat-charged-bomb-scare/story?id=10317771&page=2

I wonder how serious a crime has to be ? I reckon he also could have had a stash of cocaine in his carry on without a problem/

I understand why the immunity thing is necessary, but people are being blown up in several parts f the world, so maybe it is time to spell ot what will not be acceptable.

Angeline

- Collapse -
How serious a crime...

The international Convention says that it must be a "grave crime". On the cocaine in a carry on: The consular bag shall be neither opened nor detained. However, if that bag had marks saying it was a consular bag, and they have serious reason to believe that the bag contains something improper, they they may request that the bag be opened in their presence by an authorized representative of the sending State. If this request is refused by the authorities of the sending State, the bag shall be returned to its place of origin.

CNET Forums

Forum Info