Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The UN's Dirty Little Secret

by Evie / December 8, 2003 9:25 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The UN's Dirty Little Secret
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The UN's Dirty Little Secret
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:The UN's Dirty Little Secret
by Mary Kay / December 8, 2003 9:38 PM PST

I too am appalled at the UN's lack of action or stand on anti-semitism but your comment is another thing. Who should we turn it over to? You don't advocate that we stay on there indefinitely, do you?

Collapse -
Re:The UN is just following Europes example
by jonah jones / December 8, 2003 9:39 PM PST

a recent EU study (and it's findings) was shelved so as not to offend the muslims living in the EU...

(i can't find a link, but it was possibly based in Brussels?)

Collapse -
Re:The UN's Dirty Little Secret
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 8, 2003 9:55 PM PST

Geeeez! You must have missed the basics of the UN completely, Evie! Please read up on article 2 in this document and then article 9. When reading article 9, keep in mind what Sharon's objective still is when it comes to Mr. Arafat. Or why not 13 (1) doesn't apply to the Palestinians.

Collapse -
and your point is...
by Kiddpeat / December 9, 2003 12:09 AM PST

What does this have to do with an explicit condemnation of antisemitism?

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: and your point is...
Collapse -
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 1:40 AM PST
Collapse -
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 2:01 AM PST
Collapse -
delete all you want! but it will NOT erase the fact that charlies statement was a direct quote from one of the biggest Fascists of all time!!
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 3:09 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:Who? (nt)
by Angeline Booher / December 10, 2003 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: Who? (nt)
Collapse -
Only asking for a name
by James Denison / December 10, 2003 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Who? (nt)

Are names off limits now too? Didn't ask for the quote.

Collapse -
The reason continued.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: and your point is...
Collapse -
Re:a good article, but.....
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: The reason continued.

what exactly did i miss that was supposed to let me #see the strong ties that exist between the Jewish community/population in the USA and the power#?

Collapse -
Nothing...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 2:04 AM PST

It wasn't meant to you but to Kiddpeat. And if you have an interest in it, I assume you are informed enough to know what I mean.

Collapse -
Re:Nothing?? then maybe you should either inform Kiddpeat
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Nothing...

or ask to have your post deleted as it is misleading

Collapse -
I'm not getting it.
by Kiddpeat / December 9, 2003 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: The reason continued.

I saw a long list of sponsers including city and state government. So what? Is the jewish population in New York influential? In Chicago, its the Irish. Is that some kind of ethnic conspiracy?

Collapse -
Let me give you a clue...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not getting it.

I told you that media was ruled HEAVILY by the Jewish population or those who have a Jewish background. That obviously makes the media being influenced by this group. Therefore, when you read a newspaper like Wall Street Journal, which Evie was referring to, you ought to know who the owner is or the CEO or the top executives among the papers. In that way you usually can figure out what their interests are too...

BTW, yes, the part of NY that I live in, has the heaviest Orthodox Jewish population in the world outside Israel.

Collapse -
Re:a clue...??? to what?
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 3:06 AM PST

in the post that Kiddpeat refers to you said #dditionally you may want to take a look on who was one of those who supported The Third Annual Brooklyn Jewish Film Festival#
you also said#But just for you to see the strong ties that exist between the Jewish community/population in the USA and the power#
Posted by: C. Thunell Posted on: 12/09/2003 9:15 AM

you infer that in the list of people who visited the festival one name in particular should stand out.....

you then infer that the festival and/or the people who visited it and/or the name that you referred to should provide a link between the Jewish community/population in the USA and the power....

please be so kind as to explain, if possible in slightly greater detail, what it is that we (Kiddpeat and i at least) are missing...

Collapse -
Well, who is Mr. or Mrs. Big?
by Kiddpeat / December 9, 2003 4:00 AM PST

The article you referred to, 'The Third Annual Brooklyn Jewish Film Festival: Artists and Activists, April 5?12' is a JEWISH film festival. Why are you surprised that Jews are named as sponsers?

BTW, I read the Wall Street Journal for years. I found it an excellent, conservative newspaper. I never had any impression of a particular ethnic influence. I stopped reading it because I found I did not have the time to read both it and a local paper.

Collapse -
Re:Well, who is Mr. or Mrs. Big?
by Josh K / December 9, 2003 4:11 AM PST

Gosh, next we'll learn that many of the sponsors of the Puerto Rican Day parade are Puerto Rican.

That's where comments like Charlie's cross the line from factual (a lot of media outlets/companies are owned by people who happen to be Jewish) to racist (assuming that this means some organized Jewish conspiracy to "control" the media).

And of course trying to mitigate it with variants of the "some of my best friends" line doesn't help, does it.

Collapse -
i'm reminded of the scene in "to kill a mockingbird"
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 5:46 AM PST

someone said "some of my best friends are jews", he (Atticus Finch) replies "and some of your best friends are catholics, but you never feel the need to say it do you?"

*a sad world with sad people we live in*

Collapse -
Completely wrong Josh!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 6:37 AM PST

I have never talked about conspiracies to control the media. I have just said that the fact that a certain ethnic group of the population has a lot of power (media, government etc) makes the media less reliable when it comes to issues involving that particualr ethnic group!

If we had a case where a white cop had shot a black man, would you believe that a newspaper with Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson at the top was a reliable source of information in that particular case? I don't care if the president of the USA is Jewish (as long as it isn't Lieberman)! That is NOT the issue. The issue is that Evie quoted a newspaper with strong ties to the Jewish community in a matter that dealt with Jews and anti-Semitism and therefore I questioned its reliability as a source. That's it!

Collapse -
not exactly an A to Z of the ''Jewish'' influence
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Completely wrong Josh!
Collapse -
You just proved my point, Charlie
by Josh K / December 9, 2003 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Completely wrong Josh!

Do you question the integrity of newspapers owned by Protestants or Catholics because they're owned by Protestants or Catholics?

I didn't think so.

Collapse -
I must ask the similar question.
by James Denison / December 10, 2003 1:23 PM PST

Do you question the integrity of publications owned by Skinheads or Neo-Nazis because they're owned by Skinheads or Neo-Nazis?

I expect the answer would be "Yes!"

It's all based on who you are willing to trust. In Charlies case it seems he's unwilling to trust the WSJ for some reason.

Collapse -
Re:Well, who is Mr. or Mrs. Big?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 6:31 AM PST

If you read the WSJ then you should definitely know who I am talking about!

Collapse -
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not getting it.
Collapse -
OK, let's see...
by Kiddpeat / December 9, 2003 6:49 AM PST

You must be saying something about the editors or owners of the WSJ. I searched on Google for the editors, and did find one name: Tunku Varadarajan. Frankly, that doesn't look Jewish to me although I don't know how you would tell. The owner of the WSJ is the Dow Jones Company which looks to be a publicly traded company, so I don't see any ethnicity there. I seem to remember that a guy named Bartlet was a senior editor. Sorry, I just don't see the mystery.

Collapse -
but he's probably hiding something :-)
by jonah jones / December 9, 2003 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: OK, let's see...

Tunku Varadarajan was born into a Hindu family in Delhi in 1962. He went to high school in India and London and later graduated from Oxford University with a degree in law. He taught law there from 1987 until 1993, when he joined The Times of London as an editorial writer.

Subsequently, he moved to Madrid as that newspaper's bureau chief, and then on to New York, also as bureau chief. He now works as a freelance writer in New York and writes regularly for The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and the CNN/Sports Illustrated website. He is married with one son and two step-daughters.

Collapse -
Re:OK, let's see...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / December 9, 2003 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: OK, let's see...

Because it is you Kiddpeat I will reply and after this reply I am out of here for the simple reason that I have better things to do than to argue with some of the fellow members here.

James Ottaway, Jr. Do a Google on him! One of the main supporters of the festival and...

If you want to communicate further with me, please ask the moderators for my email address, and that is only you obviously, who should be given that!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.