Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The truth about older liberals in America, and other stuff

by Ziks511 / May 5, 2006 8:05 AM PDT

Ed Naha, my new best friend: http://mkanejeeves.com/?p=191

"Most older liberals weren?t born with silver spoons embedded in their mouths ... maybe popsicle sticks if they were lucky. Most came out of hard-working families. My Dad was a factory worker, my Mom was a mom and my first real summer job, at the age of 16, was working for the city, hauling trash and cutting weeds.

"We don?t like being lied to and we acknowledge the reconfigured Lou Dobbs on CNN and the always brilliant Keith Olbermann on MSNBC as our last vestiges of truth-telling on cable news networks.

"But, I would also add a third name to that list. A fella named Jack Cafferty, encased in CNN?s train-wreck of a show ?The Situation Room.? He?s only on a few minutes every hour, soliciting and, later, commenting on, viewer e-mails. But, this guy is a primo-muckraker. A throw-back. A caustic gem.

"Two weeks ago, when Rumsfeld proposed that leaving Iraq was the equivalent to our leaving post-war Germany to the Nazis Cafferty, shirt-sleeves rolled up, dead-panned: ?The other overriding lesson that none of them ever seem to learn is that they shouldn?t just open their mouths and say stupid things.? Ow!"

I on the other hand was middle class, very very middle class, but brought up to know the value of money and to be grateful for my good fortune. So grateful in fact that I wanted it spread around, I wanted everybody to be as lucky as I knew I was. That's the difference between me and George W. "I was born in Connecticut, betcha cant tell" Bush. I want what I had for everybody, he wants what he had only for himself and his friends.

Cafferty: ?What should Karl Rove do if he is indicted??He might want to, he might want to get measured for one of those extra large orange jump suits, Wolf, because looking at old Karl, I?m not sure that he?d, they?d be able to zip him into the regular size one.?

Blitzer: ?He?s actually lost some weight. I think he?s in pretty good shape.?

Cafferty: ?Oh, well then, maybe just the regular off the shelf large would handle it for him.?

Blitzer: ?But, you know, it?s still a big if. It?s still a big if.?

Cafferty: ?Oh, I understand. I?m, I?m just hoping, you know. I love, I love to see those kinds of things happen. It does wonders for me.?

When Blitzer, who has to tout and/or cover long-winded partisan blather, talks back? Jack slaps back.

Cafferty: ?Do I look like I just fell out of the back of a vegetable truck to you??

Blitzer: ?No, you look like Jack Cafferty??

Comedy doesn?t get any better than that.

When Cheney decided to spill his guts (?) on Fox after gunning down a lawyer, Cafferty wasn?t overly impressed.

Blitzer: ?First of all, Jack, what did you make of **** Cheney?s interview today??

Cafferty: ?Well, I obviously didn?t see it ?cause it hasn?t been released in its entirety yet, but I ? I would guess it didn?t exactly represent a profile in courage for the vice president to wander over there to the F-word network for a sit down with Brit Hume. I mean, that?s a little like Bonnie interviewing Clyde, ain?t it? I mean, where was the news conference? Where was the ? where was the access to all of the members of the media? I don?t know. You know? Whatever.?

Blitzer: ?You still think he needs to do a full-scale news conference in front of all of the cameras, all of the reporters, and ask whatever they want??

Cafferty: ?That?s never going to happen. But, I mean, running over there to the Fox network to ? I mean that?s ? talk about seeking a safe haven. He?s not going to get any high, hard ones from anybody at the F-word network. I think we know that.?

Gotta say, Cafferty and Olberman are the only things worth watching on the Goggle Box, at least as far as Current Affairs goes. [Remember Current Affairs as a type of news, before the tabloid infotainment industry ruined the term and then ruined the regular news as well?]

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The truth about older liberals in America, and other stuff
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The truth about older liberals in America, and other stuff
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keith Olberman as news source
by Evie / May 5, 2006 8:14 AM PDT

That's just funny Grin

What name you posting over at that blog under?

Collapse -
Evie, you're not thinking of going over there...
by EdH / May 5, 2006 10:26 AM PDT

and making a little mischief are you?

Collapse -
Wouldn't dream of it ...
by Evie / May 5, 2006 10:33 AM PDT

... just wondering which of the handful of Naha fans Rob might be. Seems this guy has a readership about as large as the programs he's a fan of's viewership! One might think Rob would enjoy being a big fish in a little pond where nobody would attack him!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
So,
by duckman / May 5, 2006 12:52 PM PDT

he could mightily thump his chest and proclaim himself KING of the bush haters !!

Collapse -
Wouldn't if be fun,
by duckman / May 5, 2006 1:05 PM PDT

to go there and pretend to be just like they are and egg them on? Oh, the hours of entertainment. (As if I would have the time to play with more children)

Collapse -
If I were posting there I'd use my real name as usual.
by Ziks511 / May 5, 2006 12:26 PM PDT

I have an allergy to those feel it necessary to hide their identity, which may account for the frequency with which I break out in hives here.

While I signed on under a pseudonym almost 2 years ago, I very quickly reverted to signing my posts, and my e-mail address is available too, not a common thing, I notice. But then I'm sufficiently comfortable with and proud of my beliefs not to feel the need to hide my identity.

Make all the trouble you can Eris, sorry, I mean Evie.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What are you accusing me of?
by Evie / May 5, 2006 12:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don't push his buttons!!
by duckman / May 5, 2006 12:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Many wouldn't have
by JP Bill / May 6, 2006 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Eris

known or looked up that ''tidbit'', let alone posted it.

Collapse -
So an insult
by Glenda / May 6, 2006 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Many wouldn't have

is fine as long as no one else knows it??? OK Getting out my dictionary Devil

Collapse -
Suggestion, Glenda...
by J. Vega / May 6, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: So an insult

Suggestion, Glenda, start with looking up "prig".

Collapse -
LOL!! Thanks for the help
by Glenda / May 6, 2006 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Suggestion, Glenda...
Devil
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So blame the non-ignorant?
by Evie / May 6, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Check your email :)
by Glenda / May 6, 2006 5:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
You don't believe
by JP Bill / May 6, 2006 5:39 AM PDT

it was for "information" purposes only?

Do you?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I believe Rob intended an insult.
by Evie / May 6, 2006 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: You don't believe
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And Kiddpeat puts "logs on the fire"
by JP Bill / May 6, 2006 6:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
You are blaming the wrong person
by Evie / May 6, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

KP called Rot, I mean Rob, on his thinly veiled personal attack.

Collapse -
As one of the very few liberals here, I have always found it
by Ziks511 / May 7, 2006 8:21 AM PDT

amazing that so many of you can hold the same opinions and attack in packs those who differ in even small ways. Evie has replied to my posts within minutes and despite what I consider to be new material from a new source has managed to shut down discussion. I have also found many of her attacks to be personal regarding my medications, my sleep disturbances, my mood or various other attributes she seems to consider fair game. I think all of that is both unpleasant and uncalled for and outside the Terms of Service. I finally replied by choosing a Classical allusion to her unerring ability to stir up trouble, and to cast aspersions.

If this be treason, in the face of pack attacks and group assaults that shut down discussion by making the atmosphere poisonous, make the most of it.

Rob

Collapse -
Email the moderators
by Evie / May 7, 2006 8:28 AM PDT
Devil

Your post stands, your attack was pointed out. Quitcherbitchin.

If you're going to go off on blatant lying tirades against Rush you ought to reconsider your own admissions of painkiller abuse. Why should that be off limits? (I bring this up because I think this is the last post of mine that drew your opposition)

It's offensive to a great many here to have to repeatedly respond to your verbal diahrrea of lies and misrepresentations. Many of us seem to operate by the credo of not letting such stand uncontested. If you can't take justified criticism of your seriously defective postings, go post over with Naha or at smirkingchimp.
Collapse -
What amazes me is your inability to distinguish between
by Ziks511 / May 10, 2006 6:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Email the moderators

Doctor Shopping, fraud, and various other criminal offences that Rushie has plea-bargained his way out of, and someone who does none of those things, but has on one occasion been so sleep deprived as to have tried something admittedly dumb.

Your ire is in direct proportion to your politics. If you agree with someone like Limbaugh or anyone in the current Administration, you will forgive him anything and deny that he or they have done anything wrong, despite evidence from searchwarrants (the 4000 pills you keep saying don't exist), and indictments and the evidence of the sweetheart plea-bargain deal that only gives him 18 months probation, or all the peculiar occurrences like outing a CIA person, lying about WMD's and Uranium acquisitions and a laundry list more.

On the other hand you have no evidence except my own complaint that I once did something stupid because I desperately needed sleep.

Its the difference between a plea-bargained felon and an honest person. I don't lie, I cite opposing evidence to your tirades which you don't like, and I don't believe the people you believe because most of them, like your President have lied so often (WMDs etc) that he and they have forgotten where he hid the truth, always assuming he ever knew.

Rob

Collapse -
What amazes me Rob ...
by Evie / May 10, 2006 11:56 PM PDT

... is your embarrassing ability to avoid the truth in situations and make up your own facts.

There were no 4000 pills. In the end, they could only find a prescription for FORTY that were inappropriately obtained -- any jury would have laughed that out of court as I would presume that even YOU would think getting an overlapping prescription from two different legit doctors treating separate maladies is hardly unusual. When my husband had his wrist surgeries, he also had a very painful root canal that led to complications. His dentist prescribed him Vicodin although IF he was taking his current prescription from the wrist, he would have no need for it.

If you think that the Palm Beach prosecutors offered Rush some sort of a sweetheart deal, you're living in a parallel reality. BTW, regarding your abuse, you've mentioned it more than once, and admitted misusing painkillers as sleep aids. Do I care? No, except that I hate to see anyone drug themselves into oblivion to get sleep. But given your admitted abuse, your own indignance over the Rush case is astounding.

He's NOT a plea bargained felon. But you have now demonstrated yourself to be a habitual liar.

Collapse -
Re: What amazes me is your inability to distinguish between
by Kiddpeat / May 11, 2006 12:31 AM PDT

Rob, what amazes me is your continued ability to distort the truth beyond recognition while claiming to be an honest person of impecable integrity.

Rush pleaded NOT GUILTY! He is NOT A FELON! Which part of NOT GUILTY do you not understand?

I think you are past the point of being able to recognize the truth.

Collapse -
Rush pleaded NOT GUILTY!
by JP Bill / May 11, 2006 1:54 AM PDT

When is his trial?

Collapse -
JP, You have demonstrated ...
by Evie / May 11, 2006 6:48 AM PDT

... quite adequately your inability to understand the US Justice System. Good thing for you, then, that you live in Canada.

Collapse -
Hmmmmm, the Bible has some things to say about people
by Kiddpeat / May 6, 2006 10:57 AM PDT

hating the light. I guess you don't like having the light brought to bear on certain things. Interesting.

Collapse -
Yeah, this is truth..
by EdH / May 5, 2006 10:20 AM PDT
When Cheney decided to spill his guts on Fox after gunning down a lawyer,

Not too biased, eh?

Cafferty and Olberman are the only things worth watching

They are worth avoiding IMHO.
Collapse -
The truth about older liberals in America...
by EdH / May 5, 2006 12:41 PM PDT

Ain't that many of them. Most of them grew up, wised up and left the foolishness of adolescence behind.

Collapse -
Most don't grow up,
by duckman / May 5, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

they just shout louder

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?