General discussion

The system cannot log you on now because the domain is not a

Hello,

I restarted my computer the other day (which has never been part of a network or domain; its always been a local machine) and I was prompted to enter my password for my user name to log in to Windows XP Pro (I've had this machine for two years and I've never had to log in to Windows, it just starts up and goes straight to it). The machine was built by a local company so its not off the shelf. Every time I try to put in a password (I don't think there's even a password because I've never had to log in to Windows before), the messgae "The system cannot log you on now because the domain <my computer name> is not available" appears. Has anyone run into this before? My computer is hooked to a router which is shared by my girlfriend but it's never been on a network. I can't log in to Windows at all. I tried booting with every mode there is and I still get the same thing. So I can't get to Windows to change any settings or anything. This is driving me crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: The system cannot log you on now because the domain is not a
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The system cannot log you on now because the domain is not a
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Review this discussion.
- Collapse -
Unfortunately

there is no options button on the log on screen. I read the other post and is a repair install my only option? How do I save my data from MyDocs before doing the repair? Thanks.

- Collapse -
First do a full clean-up and defrag........
- Collapse -
John

Poster cannot get into Windows ...

Better choice would be knoppix ....

Bill

- Collapse -
I'm hearing this damage more and more.
- Collapse -
It is a bug

This doesn't just affect XP. I was called in to fix a 2000 Pro computer that just got affected over the weekend. It doesn't have limewire and is generally a pretty clean computer. They said it just locked them out this weekend for no reason. No local logons whatsoever.

I tried renaming the SAM file, that often works with logon related issues on Win2000. No dice. So I poked around a bit and found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824302/ . Basically it is a Windows bug that can potentially affect all versions of XP, 2000, and 2003 -- it seems like a pretty find.

Microsoft has a hotfix for it, but if you can't get into your computer you can't apply it.

- Collapse -
I read that article and it doesn't seem to apply.

"If you log on with cached credentials (for example, you establish a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection to your corporate network) and you try to connect to a network resource, you may receive the following error message and you are continuously prompted for your user name and password:"

This is about your VPN connection and not about local logins.

So far it still appears to be virus or other damage to the OS.

Bob

- Collapse -
Same error for me

I am getting same error as "The system cannot log you on now because the domain DomainName is not available". This is my personal PC. I restored back & forth for couple of times using "System Restore" & now I am getting this error. I downloaded below hot fix. But I couldn't apply any hot fixes as I can't login. Please can someone help me. Can I copy extracted files from the .exe file to system32 or any directory? If possible, please can somone tell me which file should go to which directory?
KB Article Number(s): 824302
Language: English
Platform: i386
Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/sp2/PKG48295/2600/free/139681_ENU_i386_zip.exe)

- Collapse -
XP sp3

Even i am facing the same problem in xp service pack 3.one user is connected ,, but if i try with different LDAP account iam getting this error.Dont know if it is the problem with the smbldap server. please let me know if any solution,

- Collapse -
When dealing with domain issues.

I find I have to talk to the domain admin. You may have to ask them about this.

CNET Forums

Forum Info