Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

The speed of Verizon DSL

by jerryf3892 / March 21, 2009 11:52 AM PDT

I've had dialup for years and am thinking about finally going to high speed. My question is why does Verizons 1 Mbps/384 Kbps plan say that it takes 8 seconds to download a 1 MB file? This is right on there "Which plan is right for me" page. It also says the 3 Mbps plan takes 3 seconds for the same file. I don't understand this at all? this all sounds like false advertizing to me or am I missing something completely?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The speed of Verizon DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The speed of Verizon DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Megabyte, Megabit, about x seconds to download
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 12:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the explanation.
by ahtoi / March 21, 2009 3:19 PM PDT

Notice the "b" in 1Mbps, then notice the "B" in 1 MB file. The answer is that 1B=8b. This has to do with 1 byte is equal to 8 bits. So..no false advertise.

Collapse -
opitium speed of DSL
by jerryf3892 / March 29, 2009 8:50 AM PDT

Mbps..mBps..kilobit/p/s...Kibit/s.... I've had it with the math!!!! Can someone just tell my the opitium speed of 3 Mbps??? I have 6 numbers in front of me ranging from 325 Kbps to 384 Kib/s. I thought that I was understanding it all but obviously I'm not.
If you can give me the opitium speed of 3Mbps, would you also show and explain the math involved? I have a really bad headache right now.
I have DSL ordered and just want to know what kinds of speeds I should expect. I know already that it will most likely be slower.
Thanks
Jerry
P.S. The simple version of the math PLEASE!!!!

Collapse -
Simple, only two rules . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2009 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: opitium speed of DSL

b = bit.
B = Bytes which is 8 bits.

OK?

You need to pay attention to how it is written and how it is used.

As a general rule, if you have a (rounded for comparison) 1 Mb (Mega bit which is one million bits) connection you will have what? Divide 1,000,000 by 8, gives you what speed in Bytes?

If you have a connect speed of 384 Kb/s, what is the speed in Bytes? Hint, divide 384,000 by 8.

As I said at the first, you must differentiate between bits and Bytes, and take note of the upper or lower case "B".

Easy.

Now, and I mean a big now!!

Don't get hung up on the EXACT terminology of Mega and million as they relate to data transmission. Simply a Kilo- anything is 1000. A kilo-bit is 1024 bits. A Mega -anything is 1,000,000 anythings. A Mega-bit is what? It'll make you crazy.

Collapse -
Simple except for me
by jerryf3892 / March 29, 2009 12:10 PM PDT

OK 1 bit = 8
B = Bytes which is 8 bits

As a general rule, if you have a (rounded for comparison) 1 Mb (Mega bit which is one million bits) connection you will have what? Divide 1,000,000 by 8, gives you what speed in Bytes?

=125000 = 1 Mb??????????????????

If you have a connect speed of 384 Kb/s, what is the speed in Bytes?

=48000 Bps?????????????

Easy...........Easy for you maybe..... Did I mention I have a difficult time in math and even more so with word problems.

Your right, a Mbps is ==== (I'm nuts, crazy and stupid) Mbps =48000x 1000 =48,000,000??????

I didn't mention I can fix any part of you car, airplane, or mill equipment, plus weld and am a machinest but I'm not pretending here......I'm lost!!!!!!!!!I'm just trying to make mayself feel better right now which really is impossable.

So 1 Mbps is 48,000,000 bps???

So the answer to my queston is:::::

48,000,000 divided by 1,000,000 is 48 Kbps x 3 is 144 Kbps.

You laugh you heart out now any time. I know in my heart this is not right, even though I followed your schooling to the best of my ability. I'm going to go get drunk now while you laugh at my stupidity. I hpe this will not infulence your helping me in the future.
Thankyou
Jerry

Collapse -
Apoligy
by jerryf3892 / March 29, 2009 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple except for me

My spelling and grammer in my last post was really bad. I was too involved in do the math to notice.
SORRY
Jerry

Collapse -
Jerry!
by Coryphaeus / March 29, 2009 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple except for me

You're working too hard! Really, don't worry about it. Math isn't my strong suit either. So for what it's worth, anything is faster than dial-up. LOL

And if it wasn't almost nine AM in Dallas, I'd join you in tossing one back.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
Daylight Savings Time - "Only white man would believe you could cut off top of blanket, sew it to bottom of blanket, and have longer blanket."

Collapse -
Coryphaeus
by jerryf3892 / March 30, 2009 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Jerry!

Hi again,
How about this....3 Mbps = 3,000,000 divided by 8 = 375,000 = KBps or is it kBps? Am I getting any warmer? Is this much right?
Or do I then need to divide 375,000 by 1000 = 375 kBps?
Every time I try this I get a different answer. And even gets worse when I try the 10 or 2 to a power way, Binary 1024.
I just want a close answer that is right. I know that I will not likely get the speed that was advertized. This all reminds me of Calulas, where anything can be made to equal anything else. I FLUNKED THAT CLASS BIG TIME!!! LMAO
Thanks again
Jerry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?