General discussion

The solution to the TV mounted over the fireplace

I have been complaining about the viewing angle of our TV mounted over the fireplace for years. But I am relieved to say that I have come across the answer to our prayers. This company has a pull down TV Mount, perfect for over fireplaces. I just thought I would share this, in case their are others out there frustrated with the viewing angle of their TV Happy

http://www.dynamicmounting.com/

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: The solution to the TV mounted over the fireplace
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: The solution to the TV mounted over the fireplace
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Very cool

I like that mount, although I have never really been a fan of mounting tvs over the fireplace, but I know in some homes its the only thing that make sense.

- Collapse -
But aren't you solving one problem, but...

creating another? What if you want to have a fire in the fire place? Just thinking out loud.

- Collapse -
Well...

...in that case you have to elevate the HDTV for viewing away from the active heat Wink

- Collapse -
Tv over fireplace?

and how would you wire it thru the brick...?

- Collapse -
Oh, I don't know- There's this wacky thing called a...

...masonry bit Wink. Head down to Home Depot and they'll give you a demo.

cheers,
Pedro

- Collapse -
do I understand you correctly?

So, you're saying that Home Depot sells a masonry bit that lets me drill a 2" diameter hole into my fireplace, magically turns a right angle, will drill straight up inside my fireplace brick another, oh, three feet, then turns another right angle to break out of my fireplace a few inches above my ceiling sheetrock? Maybe I'm missing something, but I think I'd just go with with either

1- an unobtrusive looking channel to hide the cables

2 - a mantle, under which I could route the cables to an adjacent wall

or

3 - only installing a TV over a fireplace with a sheetrock wall directly above the fireplace.

- Collapse -
There's no mystery here

In no way was I implying that there aren't sometimes difficult installation hurdles. Keep in mind some folks don't have it the same as your particular install.

Obviously above fireplace installs aren't a picnic, and probably one of the worst places to locate an HDTV for optimal viewing angle & experience. Even aesthetically, I think they look like crap most of the time. My "favorite" homes are the 5K sq foot starter castles with white walls, no live plants and poorly located HDTV panels in various spots throughout the house (LOL). Cheeseball central.

Most people don't realize that over time, even a slight upward angle that your neck is often forced to use to slightly adjust to the high mounted panels can lead to some serious pain. YMMV. The chiropractors don't worry about this potential pitfall though Wink.

- Collapse -
I made a suggestion to them.

With a couple of modifications this rig would be awesome for RV'ers. My parents are full time RV'ers (they live and travel year around in their RV) and they have always had issues with TV location, movement, and storage.

Most RV's built in the last 10 - 15 years have these built-in entertainment centers and the position isn't optimal for all viewing areas and securing the sets for travel is also a problem.

Modifying this rig to have a strong position lock that would secure the TV for travel would be great and having the ability to pull the set outward and pivot it for viewing in different areas of the RV would be awesome.

My folks often have to rotate their set to view it from the sitting area and the dining area and even then the viewing angles are very poor at best as the entertainment areas are designed more for holding the set somewhat securely in one position than for actually being able to see it from different locations.

- Collapse -
Head to a Mobile electronics dealer/installer

Some of the custom shops may be able to accomodate such a large vehicle. FWIW, I've seen mounted HDTVs in the back of large Chevy Suburbans for open air demos at festivals/concerts, etc. You will have to check with such a store for mount options in the actual vehicle.

CNET Forums