Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The smoking gun quote -- Bush lied!

by Evie / November 4, 2005 8:59 PM PST

The notion folks think there is an Iraq link to 9-11 is this notion that Al Quaeda is linked to Iraq!

?In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ? It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons.?

I can't believe he got away with saying stuff like this for so long.

-Hillary Clinton

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The smoking gun quote -- Bush lied!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The smoking gun quote -- Bush lied!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BUT,
by duckman / November 4, 2005 9:47 PM PST

she was only using the propaganda supplied by the NEO-CONS cabal in the Whitehouse..

Collapse -
Make something positive out of it
by Steven Haninger / November 4, 2005 9:50 PM PST
Collapse -
By now I hope everyone Knows
by Minor Tron God / November 4, 2005 10:22 PM PST

Bush Lied and continues to, to this day. He went into his first term as POTUS planning to avenge his Dads Screw up. He has no clue how to do the Right thing, I can' believe 39% of Americans still believe in him.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Say "HI" to your buds at moore-on/moveon !!
by duckman / November 4, 2005 10:44 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You didn't scroll down to see the speaker did ya!
by Evie / November 4, 2005 10:47 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Right, there's a sane commentary.
by EdH / November 4, 2005 11:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Talk about being brainwashed...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2005 1:12 AM PST

the left really did a job on you.

Bush's exact words in dispute were - "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa." Do note that it was only LATER that the ultra liberals started ranting about Niger--Bush never mentioned it.

"The British intelligence report that GW cited in his State of the Union address didn't even concern Niger, but rather focused on the Congo. According to the U.K. Telegraph, the Congo was a far more promising source of uranium since the country had been in throes of a civil war, and since it also had a reasonable level of proven uranium reserves. The country's history of uranium production goes back to 1939, when a Congo mine supplied the material for the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima. The Congo also has one of the few nuclear power reactors on the continent.

Ironically, the backing for the British intelligence report targeting the Congo is none other than our own ISG, which was largely composed of elements of the CIA and the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). In his final report, Duelfer notes that the ISG had found a document that told of a post-Gulf War I contact between Baghdad and Africa concerning an offer of uranium; and the source of the uranium was not Niger, but ? surprise ? from the Congo. As the ISG report notes:

In mid-May 2003, an ISG team found an Iraqi Embassy document in the Iraqi Intelligence Service (IIS) headquarters related to an offer to sell yellowcake to Iraq. The document reveals that a Ugandan businessman approached the Iraqis with an offer to sell uranium, reportedly from the Congo. The Iraqi Embassy in Nairobi?in reporting this matter back to Baghdad on 20 May 2001?indicated it told the Ugandan that Iraq does not deal with these materials, explained the circumstances of sanctions, and said that Baghdad was not concerned about these matters right now."
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1509628/posts
(You can verify the above through the Telegraph or any of numerable other sources.)

Now consider that each of the following were privy to the same intelligence briefings Bush had (and most of them even more so because they saw and heard and said the same things throughout Clinton's admin as the dates show).

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003 |
http://web.archive.org/web/20040204225854/www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/speeches/spc_2003_0123.html

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002 |
http://web.archive.org/web/20040206224935/johnkerry.com/pressroom/speeches/spc_2002_1009.html

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998 |
http://www.cnn.com/US/9802/04/us.un.iraq/

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998 |
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/18/iraq.political.analysis/

"We must stop Saddam from ever again jeopardizing the stability and security of his neighbors with weapons of mass destruction."
- Madeline Albright, Feb 1, 1998 |
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9802/01/iraq/

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
- Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998 |
http://www.usatoday.com/news/index/iraq/iraq172.htm

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton.
- (D) Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, others, Oct. 9, 1998 |
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/07/17/wh.critics/

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998 |
http://www.house.gov/pelosi/priraq1.htm

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999 |
http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:u62ZeSGUfj0J:washingtontimes.com/national/inbeltway.htm+"Hussein+has+...+chosen+to+spend+his+money+on+building+weapons+of+mass+destruction+and+palaces+for+his+cronies."&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002 |
http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/4136328.htm

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 |
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/transcripts/gore_text092302.html

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002 |
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/transcripts/gore_text092302.html

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002 |
http://kennedy.senate.gov/~kennedy/statements/02/10/2002A07621.html

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002 |
http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cache:u62ZeSGUfj0J:washingtontimes.com/national/inbeltway.htm+"Saddam+Hussein+has+been+engaged+in+the+development+of+weapons+of+mass+destruction+technology+which+is+a+threat+to+countries+in+the+region+and+he+has+made+a+moc

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002 |
http://www.senate.gov/~rockefeller/news/2002/flrstmt0102002.html

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002 |
http://clinton.senate.gov/speeches/iraq_101002.html

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002 |
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/DL12Ak02.html

It is hard to believe in spite of the evidence that ANYONE could be so gullible as to believe the pap fed them by the left, much less repeat it in public.

Collapse -
PS, the ******** link is actually...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2005 1:13 AM PST

www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1509628/posts

Collapse -
At least the majority is no longer taken in by his claims of
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 5, 2005 1:27 AM PST

truthfulness and integrity. He's worse than Clinton ever was, becauise his lack of integrity affects governance and policy, while Clinton's primarily involved personal peccadillos.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
So, what about what Hillary claimed?
by duckman / November 5, 2005 1:31 AM PST

Or can you only hack on Bush?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No time for that! Busy man you know.
by Evie / November 5, 2005 1:39 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Pay no attenton to that man behind the curtain.
by EdH / November 5, 2005 1:45 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) .
by duckman / November 5, 2005 12:57 PM PST
Collapse -
Yeah, right
by EdH / November 5, 2005 1:43 AM PST

Compromising our security to the Chinese and fumbling the Al Qaeda threat were mere peccadilloes. Not at all important.

Collapse -
I like that clever cover up of sin coming from a 'Christian'
by Kiddpeat / November 5, 2005 6:04 AM PST

personal peccadillos

Does that refer to his cigar?

Collapse -
Judge not lest ye be judged
by Josh K / November 7, 2005 12:02 AM PST

You have some nerve putting "Christian" in quotes like that. How dare you question DK's faith or anyone else's just because they happen to disagree with you politically. Who are you to be the arbiter of who is a real Christian and who isn't?

Collapse -
How about you save your ire ...
by Evie / November 7, 2005 12:38 AM PST

... for the next time DAVE does just that!

Collapse -
That 'majority' you speak of...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2005 6:27 AM PST

has simply been "taken in" by the lies and distortions of the media with their heavy coverage of everything possibly negative and extremely light coverage of anything positive.

It was the Liberals and media for instance that inaccurately defined AFRICA as NIGER (although Bush never used the word and it is quite true that yellowcake purchases were discussed between Iraq and the Congo.

By Clinton's "personal peccadillos" you can't be remembering his missile technology to the ChiComs for campaign cash very well nor his many other such documented demonstrations of poor policy and governing (including headhunting NCOs for having consensual sex with their subordinates as their CiC was doing and having Sandy Berger steal official documents).

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998 |
http://www.cnn.com/US/9802/04/us.un.iraq/

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
- President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998 |
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/18/iraq.political.analysis/

You need to see a professional for treating your P.E.S.T. Dave.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 5, 2005 1:54 PM PST

It was the Liberals and media for instance that inaccurately defined AFRICA as NIGER

On December 19th, Washington, for the first time, publicly identified Niger as the alleged seller of the nuclear materials, in a State Department position paper that rhetorically asked, ?Why is the Iraqi regime hiding their uranium procurement??

WHO LIED TO WHOM?

President Bush cited the uranium deal, along with the aluminum tubes, in his State of the Union Message, on January 28th, while crediting Britain as the source of the information: ?The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.? He commented, ?Saddam Hussein has not credibly explained these activities. He clearly has much to hide.?

Then the story fell apart. On March 7th, Mohamed ElBaradei, the director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, in Vienna, told the U.N. Security Council that the documents involving the Niger-Iraq uranium sale were fakes. ?The I.A.E.A. has concluded, with the concurrence of outside experts, that these documents . . . are in fact not authentic,? ElBaradei said.

One senior I.A.E.A. official went further. He told me, ?These documents are so bad that I cannot imagine that they came from a serious intelligence agency. It depresses me, given the low quality of the documents, that it was not stopped. At the level it reached, I would have expected more checking.?

The I.A.E.A. had first sought the documents last fall, shortly after the British government released its dossier. After months of pleading by the I.A.E.A., the United States turned them over to Jacques Baute, who is the director of the agency?s Iraq Nuclear Verification Office.

It took Baute?s team only a few hours to determine that the documents were fake. The agency had been given about a half-dozen letters and other communications between officials in Niger and Iraq, many of them written on letterheads of the Niger government. The problems were glaring. One letter, dated October 10, 2000, was signed with the name of Allele Habibou, a Niger Minister of Foreign Affairs and Co

Collapse -
Not much of a response there...
by Edward ODaniel / November 5, 2005 4:32 PM PST
In reply to: Response

as it was common knowledge fairly soon that the current NIGER info was forged BUT the info regarding the Congo and two other African Nations was from other sources and has been proven accurate as indicated.

The MEDIA and others of the Left fixated on NIGER and avoided acknowledging that AFRICA is bigger than just NIGER (and you are still attempting to do so).

Collapse -
I don't know if I'm
by JP Bill / November 5, 2005 7:50 PM PST

left or right,

avoided acknowledging that AFRICA is bigger than just NIGER (and you are still attempting to do so).

but I will admit that Africa has more (is larger) than one country (Niger).

info regarding the Congo and two other African Nations was from other sources and has been proven accurate as indicate

it is quite true that yellowcake purchases were discussed between Iraq and the Congo.

War-torn Congo is target in Baghdad's hunt for uranium

The Democratic Republic of Congo has emerged as the likeliest target of Iraq's attempts to secure uranium for its nuclear weapons programme, after Britain gave warning that Saddam Hussein has sought ''significant quantities'' of the radioactive metal somewhere in Africa.

The Congo is just one of several African countries with exploitable uranium deposits, and four others - Niger, Namibia, South Africa and Gabon - export almost 10,000 tons of ore a year between them. South Africa had its own weapons programme under the apartheid regime and still has two full-scale nuclear reactors

Likeliest target, beliefs and suspicions but NO proof, just what you accuse the ''others'' of.

It might also have been discussed with other countries, that even you don't know about.

If YOU say it is, then it is?

Collapse -
There's a ton of proof of SOUGHT
by Evie / November 5, 2005 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: I don't know if I'm

... per Wilson even. That's all that was said.

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 5, 2005 10:14 PM PST
There's a ton of proof of SOUGHT... per Wilson even. That's all that was said.

Edward said

it is quite true that yellowcake purchases were discussed between Iraq and the Congo.

The point that it was sought is NOT the only (all) thing that was said. It was said that it was sought in the Congo. I asked how Edward knew it was the Congo.
Collapse -
Are you being dense on purpose?
by Evie / November 5, 2005 11:26 PM PST

"purchases being discussed in Congo" = "Iraq sought yellowcake in Africa"

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / November 5, 2005 11:53 PM PST
"purchases being discussed in Congo"

I know The Congo is in Africa

HOW did Edward know it was the Congo that was selling uranium and not one of the several other countries in Africa?

That was the point I wanted to find the answer for, not which country the Congo was in.

I won't refer to you as "dense"
Collapse -
So when you know you're losing the debate ...
by Evie / November 6, 2005 8:30 PM PST

... obfuscate by diverting the discussion to irrelevant minutia.

Well, you do have a talent for it!

Collapse -
irrelevant minutia.
by JP Bill / November 6, 2005 10:17 PM PST

One of the main points in Edwards first post on this subthread was concerning Iraq, Africa, Niger and Congo

It was the Liberals and media for instance that inaccurately defined AFRICA as NIGER (although Bush never used the word and it is quite true that yellowcake purchases were discussed between Iraq and the Congo.

If you want to call it irrelevant minutia, Go for it.

but that's what the (Edwards) post was about.

Collapse -
The irrelevant minutia ...
by Evie / November 6, 2005 10:30 PM PST

... is your questioning of Edward.

Bush said "SOUGHT" and "Africa"

As to your link, Bush was given the NIE like all the other government officials privy to that (e.g. Senators on the Intel Committee). He's not given the documents to look at themselves, so, unlike Rather who did view the forgeries, Bush is relying on the considered opinion of the CIA in the form of the NIE.

It is becoming evermore apparent that the CIA is incompetent!

Collapse -
Bush said "SOUGHT" and "Africa"
by JP Bill / November 6, 2005 11:07 PM PST

Edward said "discussed" and "Congo"

As you know Africa is a large continent (not a country) with many countries, and I believe the reason the President said Africa instead of naming a country was because they weren't sure of which country or if any country was talking about shipping uranium.

Why would a report say "Africa sought uranium"?

Couldn't they narrow it down a bit more, or are they using a scattergun?

Collapse -
Now you're arguing wording
by Evie / November 6, 2005 11:53 PM PST

When one is SEEKING out something to buy, part of that process is "discussing purchases".

The SEEKING by Saddam was from SEVERAL sources in Africa. There's no need to itemize.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.