Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The situation in Iraq

by Dan McC / September 30, 2004 7:31 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The situation in Iraq
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The situation in Iraq
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: The situation in Iraq
by RB2D2 / September 30, 2004 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: The situation in Iraq

Half of me is saddened and the other half is very enraged. Has our invasion of Iraq been worth all the lives that have been lost since then and in the months to come? Maybe years. There doesn't seem to be an end. Even Rumsfeld says things are going to get a lot worse. Is all this horror just for some vague US political gain? Is the intention to totally distroy the country?

Why don't we concentrate on the terrorist, their leaders, hideouts and training camps and stop the killing of the Iraqi people?

Collapse -
by EdH / September 30, 2004 6:42 PM PDT

May I point out that the car bombs were set off by terrorists, not US forces. You seem to be confused on that point. Do you think they will go away if we leave Iraq?

The terrorists, their leaders, hideouts and training camps in Afghanistan have been for the most part decimated and our forces continue to fight them there. Contrary to what the left says that effort has not been diminished.

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 30, 2004 10:52 PM PDT

Hi, Ed.

Yes, they were set off by terrosist, who are as despicable as their actions. But how many Iraqis were killed by terrorism in the last year of Saddam's regime? Even including those killed and tortured in his jails, a lot fewer, I warrant. yes, he was a very bad man, and the world and Iraq are theoretically better off without him. But in reality, I'm not sure that's true. And we certainly aren't any safer with him gone, terroists vying for control of an Iraq on the verge of civil war by our own intelligence estimates (a situation predicted by an intelligence brief that Bush chose to ignore -- I wonder why Kerry didn't mention it last night!) that may well create an Iran clone in Iraq.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by EdH / October 1, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

A lot fewer? I guess it depends on your definition of terrorist.

Have you seen the footage of the mass graves? According to UN figures as many as half a million kids under 5 were killed as a result of the wonderful sanctions that were supposed to weaken Saddam.
http://www.geocities.com/iraqinfo/index.html?page=/iraqinfo/sanctions/sarticles3/futility.html

So much for the swell idea of bringing in the UN.

"the world and Iraq are theoretically better off without him. But in reality, I'm not sure that's true."

I am.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 30, 2004 8:56 PM PDT

well the slight problem is those who are killing the people are mixed in with the people, hide in there mosques hospitals.

and were fighting a pc war heaven forbid we damage a mosque.

that country was a disaster from the begining of time.

Collapse -
by Glenda / October 1, 2004 1:36 AM PDT

"Why don't we concentrate on the terrorist, their leaders, hideouts and training camps and stop the killing of the Iraqi people?"

Posted by: RB2D2 Posted on: 09/30/2004 11:18 PM

Rosalie, you better read that again!! WE didn't kill those people!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh!
Glenda

Collapse -
by C1ay / September 30, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

Just another highlight on the actions of the few that ignores the work of the other 25,000,000 or so which are trying to build a new Iraq. Typical left side reporting...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sorry, Clay. **Eyes**
by Dan McC / October 1, 2004 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Open your eye, Clay
Collapse -
And this only emphasizes
by TONI H / October 1, 2004 12:10 AM PDT

the fact that the terrorists want business back as usual and have been trying to push that country back to that fear level. The timing is the crux of these new and more aggressive attacks......and with the help of 1000 Iraqi military, over 100 insurgents were killed just this morning with one of our own going down. 100 to 1 aren't bad odds.........

TONI

Collapse -
Playing the odds?
by Dan McC / October 1, 2004 12:24 AM PDT

Well, it sure doesn't seem like we've killed 110,000 terrorists in Iraq, so those odds may not hold up over the long run.

Business as usual in Iraq was a contained dictator with little influence outside his boarders, and virtually none in the US. It doesn't look so bad in comparison.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Playing the odds?
by C1ay / October 1, 2004 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Playing the odds?

Business as usual in Iraq was a dictator that gassed people and ran them thru shredders.

Collapse -
Re: Open your eye, Clay
by C1ay / October 1, 2004 1:08 AM PDT

This is expected so it's not news.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK, don't.
by Dan McC / October 1, 2004 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
A Bomber?s Eye View of Our Blue Marble
by Catgic / September 30, 2004 11:01 PM PDT

Regarding the situation in Iraq, with Saddam out of power, the fighting factions would be doing street bombing against each other any way. U.S. troops patrolling the city just makes for good video and sound bites for CNN, FOX, MSNBC and the rest. When you ?play? with guns and bombs, people get hurt and killed. That?s what war is?guns, bombs and death.

Zoom back away from the Boob-Vee with me, Netizens. You say you?re standing out in the front yard. Good start. Now go up to about Flight Level 240?that?s good?hover there and tell me what you see. The world looks a lot different when you get the ?Big Picture,? doesn?t it?

Now that I got you all into the ?Big Picture? frame of mind, let me share some of my thoughts and ?planning data.?

Does the ?anti-US Islamic revolution? sound like a news flash, whether in Iraq, Iran or wherever? It?s been ongoing for decades. Remember Libya, Egypt, Lebanon...are you with me conflict fans? Over the decades the U.S. chose to swat Islamic flies, as their Middle East policy, like some American buffalo swishing its tail. This was the policy until the Saudi terrorist delivered us a Death-From-The-Sky wake-up call on 9/11.

So here we are, Cold War won and the EU and Germans prodding us to get out of Rhein-Mein, Ramstein?et al. Turkey working hard to hold us up by asking for exorbitant payments to keep our bases in Incirlik, Ankara?et al. Then on 9/11?the Big Oops & Gotcha, the fly-swatter-tail-swishing policy approach no werkum.

What to do? Well, all the bases in the EU are going away and Turkey is getting very greedy.

Hello! Hurry up! All the airports are closing, where shall I land my C-5 Galaxy tomorrow?

I got it. Let?s set up a mega-presence in Baghdad-Ville. We can set up a Center for Counter-Terrorist OPS as well as keep a close eye on the Middle East oil patch, the Kazhakstan, et al?oil patches and the Nuke ?Em goofer governments of Pakistan and India (same gene-pool, different religions).

Sounds like a plan to me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?