The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The show has taken an anti-Apple turn...

by cravr / September 6, 2009 4:55 PM PDT

Now I miss Veronica more than ever! Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The show has taken an anti-Apple turn...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The show has taken an anti-Apple turn...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) perhaps, but has Apple taken an anti-consumer turn?...
by shmody / September 7, 2009 12:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Welcome to Microsoft's world...
by Slikkster / September 7, 2009 12:24 AM PDT

There's been enough anti-MS commentary over the years. Now let's see if Google gets its comeuppance any time soon Happy

Collapse -
Oh, its just the latest fashion amongst the digerati
by minimalist / September 7, 2009 5:12 AM PDT

to proclaim its the beginning of the end for Apple. OMG! Jason Calacanis gave up his iPhone in protest, did you hear? It all must have some deeper meaning, right? Let's all parse his statements to death on our blogs. And then more bloggers will comment on on our blog postds on their blogs and so on and so on and soon the whole thing seems like seismic shift to a very small number of people who all read each other's blogs.

But in the end these guys are all easily distracted. This anti-Apple meme will stick around until bigger, juicer news comes around.

Collapse -
The show has taken an anti-Apple turn...
by wizkids32 / September 7, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

Ain't that what you want. I suggest that you don't listen to TWIT because Leo has been hating on Apple and SnowLepard and has call this an upgrade and should be free check out TWIT 210 for his rant about why Snowlepard should be free and not cost $30.00 at all.

Collapse -
Better listen to Mac Break Weekly 156
by madmari / September 7, 2009 11:58 AM PDT

When Leo came around based on the arguments that Alex Lindsay and Andy Inhatko so eloquently presented.

Collapse -
It's just Molly
by Nicholas Buenk / September 7, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

Much prefer it when Tom and Tong talk about Apple, more objective.

Collapse -
Oh I love me some Molly
by minimalist / September 7, 2009 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: It's just Molly

but she is a bit.. shall we say "hyperbolic" (and sometimes just downright reactionary) when it comes to her positions. The wild mood swings make for good theater though, which I guess is part of what podcasting really is about.

Collapse -
Agree with above - It's totally Apple's Fault...
by robstak / September 8, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

even fanbois have to admit, the crap they are pulling with the app store is just ridic...

Collapse -
It's good for the fanboys though
by Nicholas Buenk / September 8, 2009 2:19 PM PDT

They are the ones hurt most by the app store and other restrictions on iPhone. It's the fanboys who should actually be complaining most. I sure do.

Collapse -
also is fun to listen to them twist into somethin good
by robstak / September 14, 2009 3:31 PM PDT

1) oh who needs a radio when you have mp3s
2) if i wanted a camera id have gotten an iphone
3) buttons are inversely correlated with style
4) google voice sucks anyway
5) not having cut and paste makes you way better at typing on this awesome soft keyboard Silly
6) etc...

hehe. love. it.

-k

ps cmon cmon all in good fun Wink

Collapse -
I still agree with #1 ;)
by Nicholas Buenk / September 15, 2009 3:44 PM PDT

And I hate buttons.

Collapse -
Yea
by nutjob / September 8, 2009 8:06 AM PDT

Enough said

Collapse -
Perhaps... but
by MagnumVP / September 21, 2009 3:45 AM PDT

Perhaps not an "Anti-Apple" turn but an "Anti-Company that doesn't allow for flexibility and demands their followers do things their way.. turn"

You don't need the Nano to take Pictures, just Video, or you can wait another year and your Nano will also take pictures because now it's ok too.

It's not just Apple either. There are numerous companies that do the same things. It's just Apple is low hanging fruit (pardon the pun).

Collapse -
About that one
by Nicholas Buenk / September 21, 2009 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Perhaps... but

The camera in the nano is only 0.3 megapixel, or 640x480. Apple doesn't want to put their brand name behind terrible quality pictures. It makes perfect sense.

Collapse -
Megapixel myths...
by Slikkster / September 21, 2009 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: About that one
Collapse -
Here's another one...
by Slikkster / September 21, 2009 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Megapixel myths...
Collapse -
Maybe
by Nicholas Buenk / September 22, 2009 3:10 PM PDT

But the higher the megapixel, the more easily you can hide a poor quality camera and lens, by down scaling. Wink

Collapse -
That's not exactly an apples to apples comparison
by minimalist / September 22, 2009 11:18 PM PDT

Those old Mavicas were hosses that were over 2 inches thick. They had much, much better optics and plenty of room for a decent sensor than some cheap low grade lens/sensor combo you'll get in a device that is less than a quarter inch thick.

It is indeed true that consumer's obsession with megapixels is misplaced (a 8 MP smart phone with crappy optics and a tiny sensor crammed into a ultrathin body still can't compete with a decent 4 or 5 MP consumer point and shoot with adequate room for quality optics and a good sensor). You do get what you pay for with cameras on phones and other CE devices (i.e. you're usually getting the cheapest camera they can cram in that body so you're not paying much). And the insistence on thinness with phones and mp3 players means that even if the manufacturer wanted to splurge on decent hardware there is still no room for a decent sensor which is what will ultimately determine the quality of the pictures.

Collapse -
I agree
by Slikkster / September 23, 2009 5:46 AM PDT

I know it's not a "fair" comparison, but my point was about this ridiculous industry hype about megapixels determining picture quality. That said, if you look at the Nano 640x480 videos that are demoed on the Apple site, they're not bad.

Jobs has said that the still photo sensor size required (with autofocus) would have to be much thicker than the sensor used for videos (from the NY Times), and hence too large for the Nano:

"We also asked him why the Nano can record video, but can?t snap still photos. That reason, he said, is technical: the sensors you need to record video are extremely thin these days?thin enough to fit into the wafer-thin Nano. But the ones with enough resolution for stills, especially with autofocus (like the sensor in the iPhone), are much too thick to cram into a player that?s only 0.2 inches thick."

Collapse -
That's why when people ask me what camera
by minimalist / September 23, 2009 3:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

to get if I always recommend that if they are only going to have one camera it should be a mid size point and shoot instead of the ultra-compacts. The image quality on a lot of those mid-sized consumer cameras is really astounding. Some can almost rival my entry level DSLR.

I like my iPhone 3GS camera for the occasional shot but its not substitute for my point and shoot or my DSLR.

Collapse -
Nonsense
by MagnumVP / September 24, 2009 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: About that one

That doesn't make any sense at all. Apple put the .3 megapixel camera in the Nano. There name is already all over it.

Collapse -
(NT) It's good enough for video
by Nicholas Buenk / September 24, 2009 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Nonsense
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?