Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Rubin Con Goes On - Asking the Devil Questions

by TOREY RAY / August 11, 2010 6:52 PM PDT

I just don't understand how everyone that caused all of these financial problems are trying to walk away like they had nothing to do with any of this...

Good read: By Robert Scheer Via Truthdig
The corruptions of journalism were on full display when CNN?s Fareed Zakaria turned to Robert Rubin this past Sunday for advice on how to fix the financial crisis that he, as much as anyone, caused. I was trapped on a treadmill in front of an overhead television and unable to turn the thing off in time to avoid this assault on my mental and physical health.

As a result I was forced to hear Rubin, Bill Clinton?s treasury secretary, insist that he always favored regulating toxic derivatives and is therefore not at all responsible for the ensuing economic meltdown. He was responding to the sole critical question from the CNN host, who quoted a question by New York Times columnist Paul Krugman: ?Did all the senior members of the [Obama] economics team have to be prot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Rubin Con Goes On - Asking the Devil Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Rubin Con Goes On - Asking the Devil Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
interesting allusion
by James Denison / August 11, 2010 11:59 PM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon

The phrase "crossing the Rubicon" has survived to refer to any individual or group committing itself irrevocably to a risky or revolutionary course of action, similar to the modern phrase "passing the point of no return". It also refers, in limited usage, to its plainer meaning of using military power in a non-receptive homeland.
Collapse -
Another entry
by Diana Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 6:33 AM PDT
In 1997, together with then-Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, Rubin strongly opposed the giving the Commodity Futures Trading Commission oversight of over-the-counter credit derivatives when this was proposed by then-head of the CFTC Brooksley Born. Rubin's role was highlighted in a Public Broadcasting Service Frontline report, "The Warning."[10] Over-the-counter credit derivatives were eventually excluded from regulation by the CFTC by the Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000.

Arthur Levitt Jr., a former chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission, has said in explaining Rubin's strong opposition to the regulations proposed by Born that Greenspan and Rubin were "joined at the hip on this." "They were certainly very fiercely opposed to this and persuaded me that this would cause chaos."[11] However, in Mr. Rubin?s autobiography, he notes that he believed derivatives could pose significant problems and that many people who used derivatives did not fully understand the risks they were taking.[12]

Rubin's assistance to Citigroup's lobbying efforts were successful in getting the Glass-Steagall Act repealed in October 1999.[citation needed] The repeal of Glass-Steagall allowed commercial banks to perform functions previously reserved for investment banks, which contributed to the financial crisis that began in 2008 by exposing them to more risk.

In a December 2009 Newsweek piece, Robert Rubin described the extraordinary combination of circumstances that led to the global financial crisis, including market and credit excess, low interest rates, massive increase in the use of complex derivatives, misguided AAA ratings, stagnant media real wages, abusive mortgage practices, and the overleveraging of financial institutions, among many other factors. In the article, Rubin advocates for the reform of the financial system in order to better protect against systemic risk and devastating crises in the future. Rubin says that ?the market-based model must be combined with strong and effective government, nationally and transnationally, to deal with critical challenges that markets won?t adequately address.?[13]

On 9 January 2009, Citigroup said that Robert Rubin had resigned as a senior adviser and would not seek re-election as a board director.[14] Press reports noted that Rubin had drawn criticism for his role in the bank's recent problems that drove it to seek federal assistance.[15]

White man speak with forked tongue. Devil

Diana
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?