Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The roots of 'Roots'

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The roots of 'Roots'
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The roots of 'Roots'
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I enjoyed watching the TV series when it was first aired but

In reply to: The roots of 'Roots'

never considered the possiblility that it was accurate in such detail. It was more of a "it coulda happened" story to me. Haley was a good writer if not a geneologist. I'd have to consider that if the book got folks thinking and interested in exploring the truth about slavery rather than just accept what they had already learned and heard, that "Roots" was a worthy addition to the literature of our time. Much of what I learned was just the dark side slavery in American history. My early education was from a "yankee" perspective only. I know now how little I really knew and understood. "Roots" made a valuable contribution to my overall knowledge regardless of whether or not it was an accurate chronology of events in the life of a real person or family.

Collapse -
Haley was good at something. That's for sure. However,

In reply to: I enjoyed watching the TV series when it was first aired but

since he settled a plagiarism lawsuit, I'm not real sure if his talent was writing.

Collapse -
But as you may have noticed

In reply to: Haley was good at something. That's for sure. However,

Factual writing is dull and a dead end labor. Fantasy writing brings in money. Mixing the two gets you money, awards, and a place in history. I'd have to say that the real truth if often not discovered unless a lie is told first.;)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This is a very old story.

Collapse -
'Roots' is still being treated as history in my daughter's

In reply to: (NT) This is a very old story.

High School. I guess they believed the New York Times treatment of the story.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, kiddpeat...

In reply to: 'Roots' is still being treated as history in my daughter's

Unfortunately, kiddpeat, revisionist history sometimes tends to stick. Did you see the HBO movie "Vendetta" that has been shown several times (now available on DVD)? It's the story of the biggest mass lynching in U.S. history in New Orleans in the early 1890's. The victims were Italians and as a result there was even talk of war between the U.S. and Italy. I dare say that most people here never even heard a mention of such war talk in their schooling. I stumbled across it because that statue was in front of my Great Grandfather's main cigar store and it came up in research of that time period and location.
The movie "Vendetta" left something out that was in newspaper accounts of the period and a book written about the incident. After the mob formed in front of the Clay statue on Canal St. they went to the area called "Congo Square" and many blacks joined the mob. Remember the scene of the mob stringing up the Italian from the lamp post? According to a newspaper account of a reporter who witnessed it, the big man at the front of the rope was black. The movie edited out references to such participation. BTW, this incident and what led up to it was the start of the use of the term "Mafia" in the U.S. press and the following "Mafia" covearge that became common.
Historical note: the "war" between the two Italian families in the early 1890's is sometimes refered to as "the War of the Oranges" as the major bone of contention was contoll of the docks and produce sales in the city.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, I haven't. I'll have to look for it sometime.

In reply to: Unfortunately, kiddpeat...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Interesting, Thanks!

In reply to: Unfortunately, kiddpeat...

Collapse -
Unfortunately, they do not retract the Pulitzer

No matter what happens, the winner keeps the prize and the prize money.

Collapse -
Its a work of fiction, guys, its not real, or biographical.

though in its separate elements it is pretty historical. It was lucky that it coincided with a sensitive point in US History where the legacy of slavery was just being addressed. I doubt it would raise many ripples now. And Haley has already been sued for plagiarism and has paid. It's such an old story.

People who believed it was an entirely true story about a real family are the kind who believe The DaVinci Code.

Rob

Collapse -
It's separate elements? If you had bothered to read the

In reply to: Its a work of fiction, guys, its not real, or biographical.

thread, you would have seen that its being taught in US schools as history. It is not.

What are separate elements? Did Haley suddenly research parts of his story while not researching others?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.