Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The reason I no longer come to Speakeasy.

by chuckieu / April 25, 2004 5:34 AM PDT

Pat Tillman was a patriot. He did give up millions to
enlist. You forgot that he had already made millions(his
talent deserved it). This fact doesn't make him more (o.k., maybe a little) of a patriot or more of a hero in dying for his country than all the other man and woman
over there in harms way. But, what disgusts me is the way you-McC-used it to take a political slap at anyone who
disagrees with you. Your header itself was slap and a goad. So Josh responded, that's what you were looking for. Don't bother to respond, I'll never see it. Against
my free speech beliefs, I might support closing this forum. At least until less resembles a Salem witch hunt. chuck

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The reason I no longer come to Speakeasy.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The reason I no longer come to Speakeasy.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chuckieu? - must be very new - first time that I have seen this poster????? NT
by SteveGargini / April 25, 2004 5:48 AM PDT

NT

Collapse -
Re:Chuckieu? - must be very new - first time that I have seen this poster????? NT

Hi, Steve,

He has been active for quite some time in several Help forums.

When folks drop in to our "establishment", they may or may not see discussions they like, or that interests them.

Some do not realize that current events, politics, history, and fun topics are addressed here by members who are frequent and regular posters. And that we welcome new participants.

It never hurts to know how others see us.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re:it's more a philosphical thing Angeline

if someone you have never seen here says "i'm not coming back"......was he ever here?

*you know? the tree in the forest thing :-)*

Collapse -
Re:Re:it's more a philosphical thing Angeline
by John Robie / April 26, 2004 7:18 AM PDT

Right, get what you mean. Happy

On the forrest thing.....read somewhere that a guy put a recorder in the forest where there was no animal around to hear and eventually there was a tree that fell and the sound was heard by someone listening to the recording. I don't believe that.

John Silly

Collapse -
It never hurts to know how others see us.

I respectfully disagree when it is someone flying in from parts unknown for the sole purpose of insulting the membership here.

Evie

Collapse -
A good point Angeline

I have got to admit never going to the help forum.
Hence I didn't see the poster.
He may have popped into S.E on threads which I didn't read. Not every thread appeals to me.
Thanks for informing me of his presence before this post, and point taken about views.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Chuckieu? - must be very new - first time that I have seen this poster????? NT

Right Angeline, Chuckieu has been around the forums for a while and he may be doing something like I used to do or hundreds of others still do.

Some call it "lurking". Years ago I used to read the Computer Help and Newbies forum and never joined ZDNet to make a post until almost a year later when the forum system changed to the trickler system and I had a question. At that time I also started reading (lurking) the SpeakEasy forum, and it was at least a year and half later that I occasionally posted in SpeakEasy.

John
PS...I don't find his post insulting, but his opinion that I respect.

Collapse -
Re:The reason I no longer come to Speakeasy.
by Walt H / April 25, 2004 11:25 AM PDT

Quote from poster...
"Pat Tillman was a patriot. He did give up millions to enlist. You forgot that he had already made millions(his talent deserved it). This fact doesn't make him more (o.k., maybe a little) of a patriot or more of a hero in dying for his country than all the other man and woman over there in harms way."

I think this quote is a slap in the face to the families of the other men and women who lost loved ones over there and those still there. This is just my opinion on this.

Collapse -
Every soldier who loses his/her life...
by James Denison / April 25, 2004 1:19 PM PDT

...is precious to their family, and that's what's really important. Those who want to elevate one sacrifice above the other, when all were to the death, just don't understand. There are many unsung heroes from many wars, so maybe if someone sings about one of them, it still honors them all.

Collapse -
I don't think that was his intent Walt...
by Edward ODaniel / April 26, 2004 2:42 AM PDT

I think possibly he was thinking of those FEW who would readily take any advantage of the system to get out of the combat zone and abandon those left behind.

He may well have been thinking of Kerry when he formed the phrase as that is what Kerry did. (and that is NOT a political comment Dave, it is a personal comment from someone who was there!)

Collapse -
Agreed.
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 2:53 AM PDT

The fact that Tillman gave up a large sum of money didn't make his actions more praiseworthy, just more newsworthy.

Dan

Collapse -
Re: Agreed.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 26, 2004 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Agreed.

Hi, Dan.

I'm not sure I agree. Obviously both are worthy of praise, but it seems to me Tillman gave up an awful lot more (leaving aside his being killed) than an 18yo HS grad who was working as a window clerk at McDonald's. This is NOT to belittle the second guy at all -- but in terms of what I learned in Economics 101, Tillman paid a much higher "opportunity cost" for his patriotism.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: Agreed.
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Agreed.

I see the difference, Dave, but it's a tough difference to measure. But since chuckieu is gone from the forum forever (haven't we heard that before, and wasn't' that his first post in SE?) we'll never know exactly what he meant on several points.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:Re: Agreed. I don't:(
by Glenda / April 26, 2004 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Agreed.

How much more than your life can you give? Money doesn't even enter into it:( The family grieves just as much for the HS kid as Tillman's family does! In the long run ALL that give their lives are heroes in my book.
Glenda

Collapse -
Good point Walt
by SteveGargini / April 26, 2004 4:33 AM PDT

It would be a disgrace to place a price on anybody's
life, every life is priceless. Sad

Collapse -
Walt, your post is puzzling......
by John Robie / April 26, 2004 6:12 AM PDT

What you have quoted as him saying is just the opposite... it is not a slap in the face for families who lost loved ones or those still there.
Didn't the quote say that his millions (or lost millions) doesn't make him more of a patriot or more of a hero in dying for his country than all the other man and woman over there in harms way."

How can that be a slap in the face to families?

Regards,
John

Collapse -
If he's only going to post once, he should make more sense.
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

I think he's mixing up me and Ed. (That's fine for Ed, but imagine my horror! Wink ) He seems to be berating me (McC) for something that Ed (O'D) said and that Josh responded to.

I hope he reads this and clarifies what he's saying.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) No, he appears to have READ you accurately.
Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 2:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Glenda / April 26, 2004 3:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 3:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Edward ODaniel / April 26, 2004 3:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Glenda / April 26, 2004 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 4:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Glenda / April 26, 2004 4:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 4:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
by James Denison / April 26, 2004 4:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 4:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Glenda / April 26, 2004 4:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Dan McC / April 26, 2004 4:37 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?