The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The reason I almost never buy Sony

OK, I usually stay off the bashing Sony stuff, but this latest foasco has me undeniably beyond stunned. I stopped buying Sony products years ago because of some bad experiences with their support. This wasn't a boycott, just a 'if theres a choice' its not going to be Sony.

So when I bought my DSLR it was not without much deliberation, but because of the compatibility with old Minolta lenses, I went for the Sony.

Here we are a year later, Ive got a new computer and need to install my RAW conversion software (this is now pay for software that comes free with the camera, this is what you need to view/edit the RAW files the camera makes), but cant find the disk...so I go to the Sony website and after a few minor frustrations, I find the support page and a file named for the digital image conversion software. I downloaded it, but its only a update not the full package. I hunt for 10 minutes and cant find it so I contact support...

Who tell me you can't download the software required to use the cameras RAW format, you have to buy a new CD from them.....wait..what? I go round and round with this customer service representative for at least 20 minuets, but he insists that there is not option, and that the software is not available for download.

I think I heard his head hit his cubical desk when I asked;

"Are you telling me that the quickest, easiest and cheapest way for me to get the software is to go to the Best Buy a mile away, purchase a new Camera, copy the disk....and return it?"

I hope he recovers...cause its not his fault he works for a company with the customer service focus of your average carnival worker

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The reason I almost never buy Sony
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The reason I almost never buy Sony
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
typo..."this is NOT pay for software that comes free"

In reply to: The reason I almost never buy Sony

silly me, cant type its *NOT* pay for software, its like the utility your printer comes with that lets you determine DPI and such.

Collapse -
thats crazy stupid

In reply to: typo..."this is NOT pay for software that comes free"

thats crazy stupid

Collapse -
Just one thing.

In reply to: The reason I almost never buy Sony

Which camera? I tried twice to see which one to see if there was support for RAW in Photoshop or other titles for your Sony but I couldn't do that as I couldn't find the model number in your post.

If I missed it, sorry. Or if you omitted it, was it because you only needed to rant?
Bob

Collapse -
I've found the software I needed, and knew I could

In reply to: Just one thing.

The whole point is just how insane the policy is. Many people will not have the resources to get the software easily. Thanks though, and just for completeness, its the original Sony SLR Alpha 100.

Collapse -
All the camera and camcorder makers seem to fail or flail

In reply to: I've found the software I needed, and knew I could

Look in our camcorder forums for pleas for the missing CDs. Not a Sony exlusive but that doesn't mean they get any reprieve from a flogging.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.