Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The real meaning of Social Security repeal?

by Ziks511 / May 2, 2005 5:40 PM PDT

While not buying this entirely (I think Bush is sincere in his desire to destroy the Social Security System) its an interesting discussion of the issue of Health Care in the US. And there is prior evidence of Republicans use of oblique measures (Reagan's tax cuts running up the deficit so Social Programs become unaffordable, ditto with Bush) to pursue central goals.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20050502/opcom02.art.htm

I've always liked Bob Reich. Bet you guys don't.

Rob.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The real meaning of Social Security repeal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The real meaning of Social Security repeal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And another county heard from on health care.
by Ziks511 / May 2, 2005 6:04 PM PDT

"American health care is unique among advanced countries in its heavy reliance on the private sector. It's also uniquely inefficient. We spend far more per person on health care than any other country, yet many Americans lack health insurance and don't receive essential care.

"This week yet another report emphasized just how bad a job the American system does at providing basic health care. A study by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation estimates that 20 million working Americans are uninsured; in Texas, which has the worst record, more than 30 percent of the adults under 65 have no insurance." "

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/29/opinion/29krugman.html

Rob

Collapse -
Ya destroy it he will,
by Jerry562 / May 2, 2005 8:04 PM PDT

If a person is allowed to direct the investment of 4% of his SS deducts (not 4% of his net pay) the other 96% will have sympathy pains and self destruct too, I much prefer the Democratic plan but for the life of me, I can't remember what that is. Can you help?

The whole Democratic response that you should not have anything to do with your retirement, do not plan on your own, do not decide what age to retire, do not decide how much money you will need, your SS is enough, don't add plans of your own like an IRA, 401K long term investments, letting Uncle Teddy handle it is ludacris.

Collapse -
What a bunch of horse droppings!
by gearup / May 2, 2005 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Ya destroy it he will,

As usual the poster contradicts himself and is so anxious to elicit a flaming response doesnt have the slightest clue as to what was really said. So now I add another name to posts I wont read from the right,left and middle as compulsive irrational drivel is remarkably predictable and does not require reading to be aware of its content!!!
The list is approaching ten. At which point none of you will have to deal with the persona gearup...who will be laughing so hard it will take him a year,at least, to catch his breath...

Collapse -
Response
by Evie / May 2, 2005 11:05 PM PDT
(Reagan's tax cuts running up the deficit so Social Programs become unaffordable, ditto with Bush)

Reagan's tax RATE cuts DOUBLED tax revenues. Try again.
Collapse -
Bob Reich? Didn't he play R2D2?
by EdH / May 2, 2005 11:06 PM PDT

No, seriously. I like him fine. Smart man. Just don't want him in power.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?