PC Applications forum

General discussion

The RAM Problem

by darkdestiny7 / May 6, 2007 6:38 PM PDT

My statistics of my laptop are all listed below:

Machine Name: Lenovo T60 (bought a year ago)
RAM: 502 MB

My need for good performance and portability had been letting down since I bought my laptop just about a year ago. Ever since installing Internet Securities (Norton for 2006 and Trend Micro for 2007), my laptop has been running quite slow. At first, I don't really mind. But the irritation comes when my laptop slowed further, and infections led me to multiple times of reformatting.

I now use AusLogics freeware products since the last couple of days, and I find it useful. Disk Defrag had helped me defragment my laptop faster than the normal Windows one, while RegDefrag did the same thing on registries. I intended to buy BoostSpeed but am unable to find a good retail store in my region that has it.

I also run CCleaner for clearing up some space. But I knew it's not safe as it may delete crucial data.

I would like to know some things:

1) Are there ways to improve my laptop performance other than improving my RAM, defragmenting and removing some startup programs?

2) Is there a safe way in using CCleaner, regarding which I should delete and which I should not?

For information, RAMs under my laptop's company are a few hundred, while other compatible ones are cheaper. I do not know which I should choose.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The RAM Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The RAM Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Black Viper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2007 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: The RAM Problem
Collapse -
I would bump up the memory to 1gb
by mark04276 / May 6, 2007 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: The RAM Problem

Like R. Proffitt said crucial.com is a good place to buy. There are alot of places to get memory, just make sure they guarantee it will fit in your system. The places that sell coputers (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) always seam to charge alot more than what it really cost. Seeing they dont make memory or any other products (they just assemble), they are getting the memory from the same places we do.

As you and many others have found, using the Internet Security Suites, slow down computers terribly. There are plenty of free programs out there that dont bog down the system and do just a good job if not better than thoose store bought Internet Security software titles. The reason people buy Norton to begin with is because they flood the marketplace with advertisements and store shelves with their product. It doesnt make it better than the rest or even mean it is a good piece of software.

Here are some FREE programs that you can get by doing a search in the download section of this site that will greatly speed up your system if you take off that Internet Security and replace it with theese.

1. antivirus - AVG (free edition)
2. Firewall - Comodo
3. spyware/adware - adaware
4. winpatrol - great utlity to help with start-up programs and monitor registry changes being made

Just a few to add to the other ones you are already using.

Collapse -
I agree...
by darkdestiny7 / May 6, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

I'll see if there is a change in terms of performance, when I attempt to upgrade my RAM at retail stores in my region. But in terms of security, I wonder if Trend Micro PC-cillin(currently the best of all suites I presume) is better than a combination of the best security softwares yet (no real definition of best), or is it the other way round. Either wawy, I am too busy with school to do such tests anymore.

Collapse -
The problem with suites
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree...

is that they become so large and bloated, and want to take up all a system's resources. That is why Norton's products are complained about so much on these forums.

Like Mark said, smaller and separate utilities for each of your protection needs tend to be better, in my view.

In this case small is beautiful.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.