TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

The Psychology of Positive Feedback...

I was just reading down the endless Bose thread and thought it would be interesting to discuss how people take other people's opinions of products they have purchased so personally.

I believe that people seek out this positive feeback regarding their purchases to help them feel better about their decision making skills and to feel better about themselves as a whole.

Does a person who is confident in their ability to choose a product feel regret about their purchase when they read bad reviews about the product?

Why do Mac users feel so compelled to convince PC users that Macs are the greatest computer in the world, when its pretty obvious that both computer systems really do just about the same thing.

What is it about certain products that get people to be so fiercely loyal or so fiercely opposed to them? Why do we tie so much of ourselves up into the products we buy?

Just something to think about.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Psychology of Positive Feedback...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Psychology of Positive Feedback...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting post.

In reply to: The Psychology of Positive Feedback...

I wish the moderators would lock that Bo$e.
Lets rewind to the early VHS days! People would ask me what brand of VCR to buy, I would give them a short list of the brands that I though were the best. FYI: I did take a couple of courses on VCR repair, and had a clear idea of what to look for in VCR.
This was when VCRs were still $400~800. They would come back later and say they bought a brand X and ask me if it was any good. I would answer "I don't know you asked me for my recommendations and I gave them to you, I don't know anything about Brand X", can't help you there.
In some ways it is kind of a small insult to ask a knowledgeable person what is good, then buy something completely different and come back to that person and try to get an endorsement from the person you asked for advice.
Over the years I have gotten used to it and say "Oh well".
"What is it about certain products that get people to be so fiercely loyal or so fiercely opposed to them?" Think about loyalty to sports teams. Any similarity? John

Collapse -
HERE IS A FUNNY ONE FOR YOU

In reply to: Interesting post.

After a year of searching for that perfect hi-def t.v. I went to a small vidio store and there it was . kmocked my socks off Toshiba 72HM195. I had never seen a picture as beautiful as that. So I went to the home theater store that I always do business with. and they told me honestly that I shouldnT buy that t.v. Well I went ahead and they special orded it for me. Even when the guys installed it they were making fun about the rainbow effect , lamps, color wheels and fans, Then to make things worsae I posted about my Blobshia here at c.net and wow talk about negetave feedback, I was told it was a peace of junk I was a fool to buy it. Its like I bought a pinto. Well after a year of great service and the t.v. still looks better than anything I have ever seen on display all I can say is Iam rite and the whole world is wrong ha ha stew

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.