Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

The position where IE pops up

by LiveAndLearn / January 22, 2005 2:19 PM PST

Hello all,

Now that i got a taste of posting, here' another question.
When i open an IE browser (either by double-click icon on desktop, or open it from Start menu), it opens at a position i expect and prefer, no problem. But when browser opens from, say, within a webpage, it pops up at a different position that i don't want. Anyone know how can i tell IE to go to where i want?

Thanx in advance

L & L

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The position where IE pops up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The position where IE pops up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you mean
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 6:01 PM PST

a 2nd browser window?

EG. You have opened up IE and it is positioned where you want it. You are surfing the internet your favorite sites and then you click a link, and "another" IE browser window pops-up, over your exisiting window, but slightly to the left or right, or up or down.

Is that what you mean?

If so, move it!

Drag on the blue header bar at the top of the browser and position it where you want.

The reason a 2nd browser window pops up "off-center" is so that users will recognise that a second window has opened, and can still see the first window behind it.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for replying
by LiveAndLearn / January 23, 2005 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Do you mean

Yes, you know exactly what's i'm talking about. The thing is, i never had this problem before (I had this PC for 2 years). The new windows just pops up exactly on top of an old one, that's how i like it. I know it's no big deal, i probably want to learn more about Windows XP's internal quirks and why it does what it does.
But thanx again for replying.
Live & Learn

Collapse -
"New window placement - IE."
by Cursorcowboy / January 23, 2005 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks for replying

1. When i open an IE browser (either by double-click icon on desktop, or open it from Start menu), it opens at a position i expect and prefer, no problem.

Okay.

2. But when browser opens from, say, within a webpage, it pops up at a different position that i don't want.

In other words, you see the pages just as Markflax describes.

3. Yes, you know exactly what's i'm talking about. The thing is, i never had this problem before (I had this PC for 2 years). The new windows just pops up exactly on top of an old one, that's how i like it.

4. To perform the function wanted, select a hyperlink found on any WEB page and use the right-click option, "Open in New window".

5. With this new window open, close the first IE window that was opened when starting the browser so only the last has focus. You can use the key combination Alt+Tab to pop between them.

6. After closing the first window for which the browser was opened, resize the remaining window by using the mouse pointer by dragging any or all edges of the window to the desirable size where you want it to always open. You may have to anchor the mouse in the colored bar at the top and move the entire window upward, right, or left in order to stay on the screen. When complete, close this window. IE is totally closed, right?

7. Start IE. See if both steps in #5 and #6 perform as expected. If not, perform them a second time until you get it right or the system performs correctly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.