Laptops forum

Question

The popular Gaming/School laptop question

by Dwizzy34 / July 2, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

I'm new to the laptop world, (never owned one) although I use a Mac daily. I need something that will perform well with games, but also suit me for schooling. The laptops that I've been looking at recently are the Alienware M14x, Asus G55, and the Asus G75.

Price range-$1200 and below (I would like to stay under that if possible).
Battery life- At least 4 hours
Screen size- 17' and under

As I mentioned, I am new, so, I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for. I won't be gaming a tremendous amount, I would just like to have a laptop that wilk perform well when I do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The popular Gaming/School laptop question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The popular Gaming/School laptop question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far you can't find such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 2:24 AM PDT

Gaming on battery power on a 17 inch is so demanding of power that not one seems to come with a battery to hit 4 hours.

Not only that, even if the battery could muster such, it's only rated for 300 cycles and by warranty it's still good at 50% capacity. So out of the box we need 8 hours to meet this person's want or need.

There is no such laptop so far.
Bob

Collapse -
Advice on computer?
by Dwizzy34 / July 3, 2013 8:46 AM PDT

Is there a laptop you could suggest? I don't need a 17' screen, I would actually prefer a 15'. I was very interested in the Asus G55vw DS71, but I've been told to wait for an even newer version than the DH71 that has Helix or purchase another laptop. Also, the bulkness and weight of the G55 is a bit much for me lugging it around every day.

If I can find something 6 pounds and under $1000 that will be able to run games to their full ability and has a good keyboard I will be fine. I still may consider the G55 anyways since I know it's good all around laptop.

Collapse -
Do these models get 8 hours now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Advice on computer?

I can't guess if you are changing the specification you lead with.
Bob

Collapse -
8 Hours?
by Dwizzy34 / July 3, 2013 10:14 AM PDT

Hopefully this isn't your attempt in trolling.

Laptops that have my eye now;

Lenovo y500:

Lenovo y580:

Asus G55vw:

Collapse -
I wish I was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: 8 Hours?

You lead with some specs you wanted and then we cover the usual angles about battery time and life span then extend that to meet your goal to have the 4 hours of runtime after a year or maybe 2 of use on battery power.

Why would that be considered trolling?
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!