TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

the perfect television and surround sound for movies

by casey0223 / August 7, 2008 10:50 AM PDT

I am looking to buy a new television. I dont know much about televisions and I would love some help. I want it to be HD and I will primarily use it for watching movies. I dont want anything smaller than 40'. I'm looking to spend no more than $1700for the television. If anyone has any suggestion I would appreciate it. Also, if you have a suggestion on a surround sound system, let me now. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the perfect television and surround sound for movies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the perfect television and surround sound for movies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) THERE ARE SOME PANASONIC PLASMAS IN YOUR PRICE RANGE.
by Riverledge / August 7, 2008 10:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Do you recommend one over the other?
by casey0223 / August 7, 2008 11:01 AM PDT

Do you recommend one over the other?

Collapse -
Panny
by bevillan / August 7, 2008 11:47 PM PDT

I also 2nd the Panasonic Plasmas. In that size range they are the best bang for your buck. As far as which Panasonic to get, try to find the biggest screen size that your money will get you within the Panny line. Once you find that one, double-check that it has all the included features that you would want since there is a higher tier Panasonic line that costs a little bit more but comes with more included features. Also, check out reviews for each model.

As far as a surround sound system goes, how much money can you spend on that? Budget for audio really dictates how far you can go.

Collapse -
PZ85, not the 80
by Jacktorious / August 8, 2008 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Panny

Hey, I agree, again, with everybody else that the Panasonic plasmas are the way to go. Virtually any plasma is better than any LCD. I have exhausted the time and patience of many people in my HDTV quest and now am delighted with a 46" PZ800, but that is out of your budget. Anyway, the reason I'm writing is that I've had both, since April, a 42" PZ80 and a 46" PZ85 and that the 85 absolutely, without argument, DESTROYS the PZ80u. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise, man.

Collapse -
Panasonic
by casey0223 / August 8, 2008 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: PZ85, not the 80

Is this the tv you were talking about Panasonic TH-42PZ85U 42" Plasma HDTV?

Collapse -
Surround Sound
by casey0223 / August 8, 2008 2:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Panny

To be honest with you I dont have a budget set. Im just trying to find something good at a reasonable price. Thanks for your input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.