Laptops forum

The perfect laptop for around £1000 / $1500?

by talexe / September 21, 2011 11:59 AM PDT

Hello everyone! I'm looking for a laptop to take with me to university. After taking a bit of time researching the current options (including those to be released over the next month or so), I started to wonder whether I could get my perfect laptop for my budget, or whether I'd have to go higher. To illustrate, two laptops I'm looking at at the moment are the as-yet unreleased 15.5 inch Sony Vaio S Series and Samsung Series 7 Chronos.

This is my specification wish list - it isn't comprehensive because I'm not a tech expert, so any pointers would be appreciated! By the way, if you'd rather not find specific laptops for me, could you maybe point me in the direction of a site where I can chuck in some specifications and find matching laptops?

Budget: about 1000 GBP with some flexibility (approx. 1550 USD) Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Display: 14" to 15.6", 1920 x 1080, matte or otherwise anti-reflective
CPU: 2nd Generation Intel Core i5/i7 GPU: Discrete GPU; no high-end gaming, so requirements not high.
Memory: At least 4GB DDR3 Optical: Blu-Ray reader Storage: SSD, low capacity is fine
Connectivity: 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
Multimedia: At least 1.3MP integrated webcam
Nice touchpad and keyboard - multi-touch and similar not necessary. Battery: The more, the better! I don't want to be tethered to the wall. Also, the lighter the better, though I can live with a bit of bulk.

I can provide more information if you like. Any help would be very much appreciated - thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The perfect laptop for around £1000 / $1500?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The perfect laptop for around £1000 / $1500?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
There are none. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

Because the moment you find that perfect laptop, the very next day it is replaced by another perfect laptop for less or more perfect.

When you get past the perfect stage you then are ready to go shopping.

Collapse -
Okay, but really...
by talexe / September 22, 2011 7:43 PM PDT
In reply to: There are none. Why?

I mostly made that topic title as an attractive headline - of course I know 'perfection' is a futile object! To put my question more specifically, then, do you know of any laptops that meet all the above requirements or, if not, do you think those specs can even be found in a laptop of my price range?

Collapse -
Sorry but I didn't find them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2011 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Okay, but really...

When you opted to get 1080p in that size the list drops to very few today. Add in your antiglare and I think it hit zero.

A discussion of why antiglare and 1080p at that size LCD would be needed at this point but I hope you know why these are at odds. And we didn't start looking at the price.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?