Phones forum

General discussion

the perfect IT gadget is just over the horizon

by wfairley / June 20, 2010 11:13 PM PDT

I want a new cell phone, with 4G data rates (or better), and a 5"-7" screen. It will have USB 2.0 and iPod port connectivity (allowing me to use any of the available accessories for input or output and recharge anwhere) along with HDMI or Displayport output, and wifi, bluetooth, and tethering for multiple devices. Don't forget the MicroSD slot and the cameras. The OS will support full sized web browsing, multi-tasking, all the usual smartphone functions that were taken away from a few years ago. Put a camera strap on the corner. I want it to announce potential disasters in my local area, no matter where I am, and I want to select the language and voice style: "warning, tsunami warning is in effect" "warning, tornado warning in effect" "warning, earthquake warning is in effect" "warning, terrorist attack is in effect"

This device will replace my:
* GPS ($200)
* simple cell phone ($50)
* portable gaming console ($200)
* personal television ($200)
* portable music player ($200)
* hd flip camcorder ($150)
* p & s camera ($200)
* alarm clock ($100)
* Internet video conference system ($200)
* NOAA weather radio ($50)

Sell it globally, and this device will deliver the knowledge and safety of the Internet to 99% of the planet's poor communities.

The Dell Streak comes close, as does the HTC Evo 4G, but I'm not sure there are any other offerings in this product category. Yet. Advice anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: the perfect IT gadget is just over the horizon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: the perfect IT gadget is just over the horizon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"You forgot your suitcases"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 3:07 AM PDT

From http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/12/10-cell-netbook/ and other places.

" A traveling man walks into a bar, puts down his heavy suitcases, and starts playing with his watch. A rather sad, lone drinker starts asking questions. The watch man is quite happy to show it off.

"What does it do?" asks the drinker. "Everything!" is the answer. "Look."

The watch man presses buttons. Beeps are emitted. The watch makes a phone call! The watch shows the time in several countries, simultaneously. Next, the watch man twiddles a dial and, after some squeaking, a moving picture swims into view ? television.

The drinking man is impressed. Amazed in fact, and asks the watch man how much he wants for the watch. The watch man smiles, and presses another button. Music plays, the clearest, loudest music the drinking man has ever heard. Then the watch man explains that the watch will make coffee, type up reports and attract all women.

"I love this watch," says the watch man, "but I will sell it to you for just $50."

This is, of course, a bargain. The drinking man hands him the money. The watch man hands him the watch and walks away.

"Wait!" says the drinking man, "You forgot your suitcases."

"Those," says the watch man, "are the batteries." "

Collapse -
but seriously folks, take my wife, please
by wfairley / June 21, 2010 11:25 AM PDT

Ah yes, the battery suitcase joke. Glad to see you maintain your sense of humor my friend. Happy

My crystal ball shows me a glowing image of this dream device, and it works in every country in the world, even the Serengeti (well, along the Interstate anyway).

Too bad the crystal ball doesn't indicate the project schedule... Happy

Collapse -
Hmmmmm, what does "AT&G" represent???
by wfairley / June 21, 2010 11:28 AM PDT

Has anybody heard of "Google Wireless" ??

I guess I am just going to have to shake this crystal ball until the snow circulates in it again...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!