General discussion

the perfect cell phone

ok, I'm a mac user at home and windows at work...any advice for selecting the perfect phone? I'd love an iphone, but i have a t-mobile account and its not an option (yet)... I'm not sure which operating system is the most compatible. I'm looking at the HTC HD2...thanks for your input.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: the perfect cell phone
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: the perfect cell phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
don't forget

iPhones with the older firmware can be unlocked (at your own risk) to work w/ any GSM carrier worldwide.

- Collapse -
It's more about what you need to do with it

Of course an iPhone will be a more seamless experience, but you can also choose from at least two or three applications to sync an HD2 with a Mac, in addition to (likely) native compatibility with your Windows box at home, dependin on what version of windows you use. Example for use w/ mac:

http://www.sync-mac.com/

If you require 3G speeds and plan on using a data plan, the iPhone won't help since it lacks the appropriate 3G frequency bands for T-Mobile. In this sense, perhaps if you are satisfied w/ T-Mo go with the HTC HD2 since it's quite powerful.

- Collapse -
perfect cell phone

Thanks~ I have Windows xp and i just want to route through my server at work and sync both machines with whichever phone i get. I'm gun shy because i've loaded parallels on my mac to run windows software (autocad) and it just slows it down so much...I just assume that I will have issues with crossing two platforms but I'll def check out the Eltima link.

Any concerns with Android vs. Windows mobile and Eltima? thanks again

- Collapse -
questions

Where does Android fit into this equation? The HD2 from T-M runs Windows Mobile not Android.

Also, when you say 'route through my server at work' can you be more specific on exactly what you are doing(?) Remote desktop? VPN? etc.

If your Mac runs slow using Parallels, add more RAM if possible. That's how I've always been instructed to help in that situation.

CNET Forums

Forum Info