General discussion

"the page cannot be displayed" when using back button

If I'm on a searchable site (realtor.com for example) and I do a search and get a list of matches to my search, when I click on one of the items, then try to use the back button to go back to the list, I get "the page cannot be displayed". It only does this on one of my laptops. Does this have something to do with cookies or history settings?

FWIW I don't have this problem with mozilla, but I prefer to use IE for other reasons.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: "the page cannot be displayed" when using back button
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "the page cannot be displayed" when using back button
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I get this too on occasion...Refresh sometimes helps.
- Collapse -
Browser Cache - version of IE and OS?

1. In Internet Explorer, the browser refreshes pages when the "Forward and Back" buttons are used through the navigation history stack and always pulled from the cache. If there is corruption in the cache for any reason, the back button may not work. To work around this problem, use the History bar to return to a Web page previously visited. To do so, click History on the toolbar, and then click the site wanted. Microsoft has confirmed this is a problem in Internet Explorer 5 which may be corrected by installing a newer version or perhaps updating to SP2.

Caveat: After Internet Explorer is configured to Check for newer versions of stored Web pages upon every visit to the page, the Web pages may not be properly refreshed. This behavior is most noticeable after using the Back button and it is suggested to click the button labeled Refresh, or simply press the F5 key. Otherwise, use the arrows in the Internet Explorer toolbar.

2. In Microsoft Internet Explorer and you are unable to navigate back to the previous Web page when clicking the "Back" button, it loops endlessly between a Web page which cannot open a frameset Web page and occurs if the Web site author created a frameset by using a source (SRC) of http:///www.example.com in which there is one extra (/) forward slash. The only means of correcting this problem is to inform the author of the Web site anomaly so they can investigate and perhaps find and remove a (/) forward slash from the frameset source, [Q298639].

3. Supplemental reading: "WD2000: A Password Dialog Box Appears When You Click the Back Button in Internet Explorer (Q306534)."

4. The article [Q201535] states that IE may not check for newer versions of pages stored in the temporary cache, even though you have selected the "Every visit to the page or Every time you start Internet Explorer" (image) option in the Settings dialog box (Internet Options (or Options) on the View menu, General tab). The options cause IE to check for newer versions of pages stored in the temporary cache, and the setting are obtained from the system registry. These options may be changed by manually editing the system registry should problems exist or options selected simply not function as expected.

5. To perhaps resove some of these issue, remove all Internet Explorer Setup files, and then reinstall, [Q318949].

6. Supplemental reading:

a. "Getting a Fresh Version of the Website Every Time!."

b. "Internet Explorer Does Not Check for Newer Versions of Web Pages (Q201535)."

c. "How Internet Explorer Cache Settings Affect Web Browsing (Q263070)."

CNET Forums

Forum Info