Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Oscars

As you all know, I don't go to the theater, so my input doesn't count too much ... but, of all the movies with considerable representation at this year's awards, the only one I intend to rent/purchase was snubbed for Best Picture (Walk the Line). None of the rest really interest me much.

How many of the candidates have you seen or will you plan to see? The buzz is this will probably be the least watched Oscars in memory. I won't watch, but that's nothing new.

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Oscars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Oscars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oscars

In reply to: The Oscars

They said the total take for the five nominees was a little over $200 million ! Waiting for Mon when the new Harry Potter dvd comes out.

Tom- what do you mean I have to grow up!

Collapse -
When Hollywood

remembers it's purpose of satisfying the public as opposed itself, then the awards shows will regain their credibility.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The people's awards are more realistic? - not sarcasm

In reply to: When Hollywood

Collapse -
A lot of them are going to the gay cowboy movie. Hollywood

loves it, but I wonder how much of the rest of the country does.

Collapse -
Funny how they chose 2 attractive straight actors

In reply to: A lot of them are going to the gay cowboy movie. Hollywood

to play homosexuals. Charlize Theronw as lauded for playing an ugly person. Time and time again actors and actresses are celebrated for simply putting themself into roles that thousands of us play in our daily lives.
This should serve as a reminder to everyone as to how far removed Hollywood is from the rest of society... so the next time some crackpot actor, director, or producer sticks his nose into politics or activism, just be aware that they in no way represent the rest of the nation.

Collapse -
You assume they are straight

In reply to: Funny how they chose 2 attractive straight actors

not that I know any different... but everyone assumed that Rock Hudson was straight as well, even his wife (Liberace on the other hand, was a different case, lol).

You want to say that Hollywood is out of touch and that actors have no business stating their opinion? Out of touch?... Maybe... But I get tired of hearing how actors should keep their mouths shut when just as many folk on the street are as outspoken. I admire many actors for the fact that they are willing to put their money and time where their mouth is... more so than many "common man" type people are willing to do. Yes, some are crackpots but I defy you to find a neighborhood where there aren't one or two "eccentrics" who annoy the heck out of people as well.

No, saying they need to stay out of the public arena is anti-american... why? Because you want to punish these folks for the one thing that allows them to have an audience... their success! I don't hear folks castigating the successful businessman, doctor, or lawyer when they use their money to influence local politics. I don't hear any anti Reagan comments based on his being an actor. No... you just don't like what some of these actors say! But that's OK! Just quit trying to associate a certain profession with a stereotype. If such a broad sweeping generalization was true... then 100 lawyers chained together at the bottom of the ocean, really would be a good start! Wink

grim

Collapse -
For all intent and purposes ...

In reply to: You assume they are straight

... they ARE two straight actors, because they are not "out" as being gay. There are many openly gay actors these days, and neither actor is really that big a name, so it is at least interesting that straight actors were chosen.

I believe Gyllenhall (or however you spell it) is married. Doubtful he would choose to star as a gay man cheating on his spouse if he were secretly gay dontcha think? Ledger is now dating and expecting a child with Williams whom he met on the set of Brokeback Mountain. Again, given the circumstances of that meeting, I would say that both are pretty sure of their sexuality.

Collapse -
Your probably right...

In reply to: For all intent and purposes ...

I'm just saying you can't assume anything. I've got a friend that's been trying to make it in L.A. as an actor/director. The rumor mill is spinning full speed out there and some actors who make the girlies scream in the midwest are reportedly more interested in the California boys instead. My friend has to much time on his hands and calls twice a day if we answer the phone (lonely out there I guess)! Consequently we get to hear a lot of the buzz when someone mentions an upcoming movie.

I was disappointed when Portia de Rossi started dating Ellen (as if I had a chance Wink). Just saying who knows what lurks in the hearts of men (or hot chicks)?

grim

Collapse -
I understand ...

In reply to: Your probably right...

... I had to be told by the girlfriend of the boyfriend of a love interest of mine once that he was gay. Some are better at hiding it than others. Usually I have pretty good ''gaydar'', and in retrospect there were signs, but I guess I was blinded by young love-crossed eyes. We remained close friends until we lost touch some years after graduation. It was an unspoken understanding that I knew, but he never officially came out to anyone. Thankfully, however, the offcolor gay jokes he used to tell (I guess to gauge my reaction?) stopped! None of the other college buddies of mine that came out after graduation came as any surprise.

It was a gutwrenching thing for that girlfriend. This was a long term, serious relationship with talk of marriage. She thought he just respected her traditional values about sex and all that. It's why movies like Brokeback will never hold much interest for me. The damage such deliberate deception/fraud causes is never justified IMO.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Deception/fraud is part of the life style.

In reply to: I understand ...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, fear of bigots is part of the "lifestyle"

In reply to: (NT) Deception/fraud is part of the life style.

Collapse -
You think there aren't bigots in the Hollywood scene?

In reply to: (NT) No, fear of bigots is part of the "lifestyle"

They aren't all a bunch of angels you know. Not by a long shot.

Collapse -
Sure there are

In reply to: You think there aren't bigots in the Hollywood scene?

That's why a woman was paid to marry Rock Hudson. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be but it's still around, unfortunately.

But the point is that KP suggested in his post that homosexuals are, by nature, dishonest people. My reponse was to point out that it's not by nature; when they're dishonest about who they are it's by perception of necessity.

Collapse -
Oh, I though he meant the Hollywood lifestyle.

In reply to: Sure there are

Deception/fraud is clearly part of THAT life style.

Collapse -
I don't think so

In reply to: Oh, I though he meant the Hollywood lifestyle.

He was responding to a post about non-Hollywood people.

Other than things like plastic surgery, what kinds of deception and fraud are you referring to?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're kidding, right?

Collapse -
That's not an answer

I'm not kidding, so humor me. Please answer the question.

Collapse -
Okay, lets start with some of those well-pubicized

"romances". You know many of those are completely fake? Do you think all those things the publicists claim are TRUE?

How about agents who promise things they know they cannot possibly make good on and the people they are BS-ing that KNOW they can't make good on the promises but smile and nod anyway?

How about Hollywood celebs who do "environmental" fundraisers and show up in limos? Are they being sincere? Or are they plastic and duplicitous? Hollywood insincerity is LEGEND.

How about the fake feuds, the fake friendships, the phoney smiles and backstabbing?

How about the incessant ripping off of ideas and imitation of other people's work?

I personally know a guy who was working in the movies and shopped around some ideas . He was turned down on one idea and one of the studios he had pitched it to turned around and made a film based on his idea (you would recognize the name). It was blatantly obvious. He wanted to sue but everyone told him, "It happens all the time here. Don't raise a stink or you'll never get work again."

Come on, Josh... "Hollywood" is synonymous with fake, phoney, insincere, hypocritical and duplicitous. I'm sure I could dig up countless examples. Gimme a break!

Collapse -
Many of the same things......

.....could be said about people in politics or any other highly public occupation. Ballplayers who sing each other's praises in public but really can't stand each other. It's about image, publicity and box office.

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of people like that in Hollywood, but I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement about everyone in the film industry.

Collapse -
Mincing onions again

I didn't make a blanket statement about everyone in any group, just noting as has been very often noted and documented, that the Hollywood culture is steeped in these things, probably moreso than any other. Maybe politics is as bad but I don't know.

It's a lot more than the makeup and plastic surgery.

Collapse -
So deception out of PERCEIVED necessity is OK with you?

It should be unacceptable (at least at that level, we're not talking about a white lie here, but another person or person's entire lives and identities!) at all times.

Collapse -
People feel the need to protect themselves, Evie

In reply to: So deception out of PERCEIVED necessity is OK with you?

My stepfather had his last name changed to something less "Jewish sounding" many years ago. It was a pretty common practice then because a lot of employers refused to hire Jews (there were no anti-discrimination laws on the books yet).

I'm pretty sure the people doing it would prefer not to, but unfortunately there are a lot of bigots out there.

Collapse -
And weren't you the one....

In reply to: So deception out of PERCEIVED necessity is OK with you?

....who said that people should hide their homosexuality from their families?

Collapse -
No

In reply to: And weren't you the one....

I said that if you have perpetuated a fraud on the family you have ''acquired'' -- e.g. phony marriage and having children in that context -- then it is incumbent upon that person to lessen the blow as much as possible. That means because you put your needs ahead of those of others, it's time to at least try to set it right by thinking of those others you've wronged.

Are you familiar with Dr. Joy Brown? She hosts a radio call in advice show (she's a licensed clinical psychologist) on WOR and she had a TV show for a while. She is not a Dr. Laura type, she's far more liberal. And yet I've heard her many times make suggestions to callers to her show that are very similar to my feelings on the subject (and others like the appropriateness of living with someone or having boy/girlfriends sleep over when you have kids, etc.) I doubt you would call her a bigot. So be careful calling those that are saying the same things bigots just because they don't share your liberal ideology.

Do you see your contradictions here?

(NT) Deception/fraud is part of the life style.
by Kiddpeat (see profile) - 03/06/06 10:38 AM

(NT) No, fear of bigots is part of the ''lifestyle''
by Josh K (see profile) - 03/07/06 6:46 AM

But the point is that KP suggested in his post that homosexuals are, by nature, dishonest people. My reponse was to point out that it's not by nature; when they're dishonest about who they are it's by perception of necessity.

Actually Josh, he said no such thing. He said it was part of the lifestyle. And, so did you -- you just excused it as because of a perception of necessity.

Destroying someone else's life to protect yourself? I have no problem with the Rock Hudson deception. No invested person was deceived. So long as the woman was paid to marry him, she knew, and was part of the deception. These are all actors playing parts and acting out stories, that's all. The fan (normal ones at least) are not invested in the individual. If a gay actor is courting/marrying a straight person for the purposes of furthering their career unbenownst to the straight person, that is unforgiveable, despicable behavior. Especially when one considers that Hollywood is *supposedly* unbigotted about such things.

You know, there are always some actors who have rumors surrounding them because they don't womanize, serially date or marry. Who do you think starts and perpetuates these rumors? For what purpose? It's NOT conservatives in the entertainment industry and media that's for sure. So just who is the bigot?

Collapse -
That's a lie Josh. I said nothing about nature. I said that

deception/fraud is part of the lifestyle.

Collapse -
OK, then please elaborate

In reply to: That's a lie Josh. I said nothing about nature. I said that

Whose lifestyle is it part of? In what way is it part of their lifestyle? WHY is it part of their lifestyle?

Collapse -
You've already answered that question ...

... while protesting that it isn't really part of the lifestyle but blaming the ''bigots'' for bad behavior.

Here's a great scene from Brokeback Mountain. I can see why the woman was nominated.
http://www.focusfeatures.com/viewer.php?f=brokeback_mountain&c=epk3&ext=wmv&w=320&h=180

In case you don't catch it, he is STILL lying to her even after she's figured it out. You can talk all you want about how society made him do it and all that, but SHE didn't deserve this.

Sounds like an uplifting love story for the ages huh?

Collapse -
I haven't seen the movie (yet)...

....but I've known people who found themselves in that situation. People who got married to women, had families and THEN began to come to terms with their homosexuality. It's rarely deliberate premeditated deception as you seemed to suggest earlier.

It's very painful for everyone, I imagine. Painful for the man to admit to himself as well as to his wife.

Collapse -
Hollywood is the biggest hypocrite about this ...

In reply to: You think there aren't bigots in the Hollywood scene?

... as grim points out, many gay men trying to make it in Hollywood but fear coming out will ruin their prospects. Why? If it's all about the acting, then gays playing straights should be lauded and it shouldn't make a difference when casting a part. Discrimination I tell ya!!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'm speaking from experience. How about you?

In reply to: (NT) No, fear of bigots is part of the "lifestyle"

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.