TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

The Original Avia Calibration Disc ?

by ofield / February 18, 2008 12:01 PM PST

Hi,

I just purchased the original Avia Calibration Disc over the
Avia 2 because I researched the second version and people were
saying it was not as good as the first.

I figured I would try a disc first before paying someone $200 dolllars to calibrate my HDTV.

Anybody used the original Avia Disc ?

Thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Original Avia Calibration Disc ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Original Avia Calibration Disc ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by gabereyes / February 18, 2008 12:25 PM PST

the avia disc has lots of test patterns for color, contrast, gamma, sharpness, VSM, white balance, and chroma delay.

but it has poor directions, and tells you not to try some ajustments on your own.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
mine is on its way
by jostenmeat / February 18, 2008 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

any tips? lol. I may eventually try the DVE BD version some other day...

Collapse -
Calibration discs don't do anything
by rocket_man201 / February 18, 2008 4:17 PM PST

Using a disc doesn't do you any good. All it does is sacrifice picture quality. That disc doesn't change the sub menu on your tv, it changes contrast ratio and color which in fact hurts picture quality. The disc doesn't prolong the life of your tv because it doesn't lower the temperature of the colors in your tv. Go into a store that has a truly calibrated tv done with a computer, and their Top Menu settings are the same on tv's that have been calibrated, and tv's that have not been.

Collapse -
What????
by ofield / February 18, 2008 6:03 PM PST

What you just said makes absolutely no sense to me.
There would not be so many discs and there are alot
if they did not help some???

By the way my email has changed to sofield@suddenlink.net

Collapse -
I'm skeptical...
by lilsim89 / February 19, 2008 1:00 AM PST

That the results from using a DVD could approach an actual calibration from someone certified, but I don't think they're useless.

I used CNet's guide (by eye) and notice quite a deal of improvement on overall PQ and detail. If that guide worked without a DVD, I'm sure a calibration DVD can help too.

1. Certified calibration
2. Calibrating help DVD
3. By eye and guide.
142. Not calibrated.

Collapse -
Disc vs professional calibration.
by gabereyes / February 19, 2008 1:13 AM PST

the Disc does help, it will help lower contrast aka picture to a lower settings that does use lower power consumtion on CRT's and plasmas.

It will help with brightness level to get better detail in the dark areas of the picture.

plus help people turn down sharpness, turn of edge enhancments if possible.

and get you the best pre set color temp, like the warm setting.

but It will not get the color temp perfect, correct grayscale, gamma, and let you turn off edge, color, or black enhancments, etc.

As for the TV in BB that has the same settings in the user menu, this is wrong, the TVs in the store are set only in the service menu to show customers that most of the setting that need to be change are only in the service menu.
But in the customers home they use both menus to calibrate the TV set, it can get confusing because some TVs give you picture setting for every input within the user menu, but in some cases not the service menu, so it requires a great knowledge of TVs and TV make and models.

I have four disc from DVE, sound and Vision, monster, and avia.
Ive used all of them, but the ISF calibrator still fixed some problems with my TV when I got it calibrated that I couldnt do, not because I could get in the service menu, I looked up online to find out how, but once I got in the service menu I didnt have the right equipment to make the right ajustments.

hope this help
gabe

Collapse -
Yes!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 11:39 PM PST

I've seen a few and for most they like the results. I can't comment on versions but in general this is a fine way to deprive those that do the same thing of a living. The most vehement replies might be from those that make a living off such adjustments.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?