The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The OpenOffice.org Challenge

Yup, I've decided to go on a self-imposed challenge, to see if I can use OpenOffice.org for 1 university semester (March - July), without Microsoft Office co-existing on the same computer. This is to prove to myself that I can totally depend on an open-source office suite, and to see if I can still interact with my tutorial group members using the OpenDocument format. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The OpenOffice.org Challenge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The OpenOffice.org Challenge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the benefit

In reply to: The OpenOffice.org Challenge

of oo.o is also that you can make .doc files for those who only have ms word. I haven't used MS Office for almost 2 years. OO.o is wonderful, although querying a large dataset in OO.o Base (database app) could use some optimizations, but is still totally useable.

Collapse -
Add the NeoOffice challange as well.

Collapse -
Re:The OpenOffice.org Challenge

My wife has been using OpenOffice only since 2005. It's good enough for everything she needs to do for college - texts, spreadsheets, presentations. We do not have Microsoft Office at home at all.

Collapse -
Yay, openoffice!

I have a Mac so I use NeoOffice and Pages. I love both. I don't even have Office installed on this computer. Not that hard. Although I do use Office 2007 on my PC for larger files and presentations that need to be sent to a lot of people. While OO.o is good at doing .doc files, usually it has a few hiccups with big multipage, formatted documents. As far as a Office replacement, it is more than competent.

Best of luck to you. Although I honestly know that it won't be hard. I will forgive you though if you do end up using Office once or twice though.

Collapse -
I've been using it

I've been using Open Office for the past couple of semesters and I have to say it's pretty nice. The ONLY complaint I have (for what I've needed to use it for anyway) is the default equation editor is pretty bad. This might just be I hadn't given it enough of a chance, but for the few physics labs I had to submit a while back I got frustrated with it and ended up using Works (it came with my laptop).

If you end up happy with OO and deem your experiment a success next semester you should try using all open source software, or to make it a little easier everything open source except the OS. You can then try all open the semester after that. Happy It's really nice to be able to say "hmmm... I need a c++ n by n matrix solving library... oh Synaptic Package Manager, fetch!". Or if that's a bit much or specific, there are all kinds of fun packages to download and play with.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!