Speakeasy forum

General discussion

The Olympics, Germany first, USA second, Canada third.

Pretty good for a country with a tenth of the population of the US, although not nearly as good as Norway which always does well in Winter Olympics with a population of only 3 million. What kind of programs do they have to encourage their athletes I wonder.

Turns out a lot of countries pay their athletes for medals including the US which surprised me. Joey Cheeks the speed skater is donating all his winnings to Right to Play, an organization that attempts to help kids in war zones with athletic equipment and such. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/torino/speedskating/2006-02-13-cheek-cover_x.htm

Though Canada doesn't pay its athletes bonuses for medals Clara Hughes, who has medalled in both the Summer Games cycling and the winter games speedskating, cleaned out her bank account of $10,000 to support Right to Play as well.

While I'm not at all sure it will appeal to anyone here I thought I'd post its address http://www.righttoplay.com

Did any one else notice that the Norwegian winner of one of the cross country events waited at the finish line to congratulate a competitor from an African country? I thought that was a pretty generous and mannerly sort of thing to do, classy in a word.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Olympics, Germany first, USA second, Canada third.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Olympics, Germany first, USA second, Canada third.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Overall, at least from what made TV and news

In reply to: The Olympics, Germany first, USA second, Canada third.

I thought the sportsmanship was a cut above some from past events. Of course interviewers always try to dig for the dirt they can...especially internal feuds between athletes, etc. I wish they wouldn't do such things...it just spoils a wonderful meeting of important world ambassadors. Even hockey is more competition than combat. Nice to see. Happy

Collapse -
A small correction.

The US Olympic Committee pays the bonuses.

Cheek will skate against Hedrick in the 1,000 meters Sunday and said he will donate any bonus money he earns from that race as well. The U.S. Olympic Committee pays American medal winners $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze medals won.

But not only the US.

Cheek has followed the footsteps on and off the ice of his speedskating hero, four-time gold medalist Johann Olaf Koss of Norway. In 1994, Koss donated his $30,000 bonus to the newly created organization, which was then known as Olympic Aid.

Koss said he knows of no other athlete since then who has donated his gold-medal bonus.

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/warsinskey021406.html

The USA government pays the athletes nothing. Nothing for training, no salareis, nothing for anything.

Lots of poeple contribute to the US Olympic fund.

US athletes have private corporate sponsorship. Home Depot pays the Olympians who work for them full salary while they train.

Did you notice all of those Nike emblems on the uniforms from many countries?

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Quite right, lots of countries pay for medals, and a lot

In reply to: A small correction.

more than 25K. Czech Republic pays 42K for gold. I was just taken by Joey Cheeks gesture and that of Clara Hughes. There is a system of supports and helps for the top Canadian athletes, but I don't know how its funded, whether solely by private donations often from the Corporate community to the Canadian Olympic Committee or partly by government as well. Just glad to see that some Olympic athletes have their priorities right.

Most European countries pay bonuses, and probably Russian Federation, China, and other parts of the far east.

Rob

Collapse -
Your wording implies ...

In reply to: Quite right, lots of countries pay for medals, and a lot

... that those that keep their bonus money do not have their priorities right. I'm not sure if this is what you intend to imply, but while Cheek's gesture is indeed noble and worthy of praise, it should not be shoved in the faces of the other athletes to make them feel guilty or with "wrong" priorities.

Collapse -
I think this is wonderful ...

... but I also think folks should refrain from thinking any less of those athletes who might keep their bonus money. The financial strain on the athletes and their families can't always be easy.

I do not like what happened between the other two US speed skating medalists. I personally think the media egged that on to everyone's detriment.

Collapse -
I agree, stirring up controversy where there is none just

In reply to: I think this is wonderful ...

to sell papers/viewer numbers which translates into advertising dollars.

Collapse -
Cindy Klassen speedskater from Alberta I think won 5 medals

in this Olympics, 3 bronze 1 silver 1 gold, plus another bronze from the last Olympics. Not quite Eric Heiden but pretty impressive.

Canadian women won 2/3 of all medals for Canada this time, and the players from the NHL tanked, couldn't even beat Switzerland. I am not a hockey fan, though I have seen good games occasionally, and I'm glad the pro's did so poorly.

Rob

What is wrong with my brain? I just tried to spell it "speadskater".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.