Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

The ODBC data source reported the following error

by MCowling / July 26, 2009 12:25 AM PDT

Windows XP, MT1100 - Intel Pentium 4 Processor 530

The error message is this:

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database "l". It may not be a database that your application recognizes or the file may be corrupt.

I guess that the file is corrupt because I used not to get this message when downloading photos from my Olumpus camera and mobile phone. When using Photoshop Elements 3.0 I can no longer create cards etc. Now I cannot even download photos on to my hard disc. I don't know what "l" file is so if anyone can help me put this right, I should be most grateful.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The ODBC data source reported the following error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The ODBC data source reported the following error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens if
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 26, 2009 3:34 AM PDT

you simply connect the camera, or phone, to the PC, then use Windows Explorer to copy any images from that device to your hard drive?

I have no idea about that error message either.

Mark

Collapse -
Windows Explorer
by MCowling / July 28, 2009 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: What happens if

Thanks - I must confess I hadn't got that far in trying windows explorer which fortunately does work. However, the situation is not ideal and I shall pursue why I can't use Photoshop Elements 3.0 to do creations etc. I have already reinstalled PE 3.0 to no avail.

Collapse -
Good to see the workaround works
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Explorer

Can you tell us the process, the step by steps you used to take when using Photoshop Elements 3.0 to do creations? From the very start, eg connecting the camera to the computer, open PE3.0, go to File > Open, what then?

I'm trying to understand where in the process this fails and that error message appears.

Also, what do you mean by "Creations".

If you use Windows Explorer to copy those files from the camera to some temporary location on your hard disk, (its what I would normally do anyway, I would never work off the originals), can you then open PE3.0 and use those copies to make these creations?

Mark

Collapse -
ODBC data source - reported error - things get curiouser
by MCowling / July 29, 2009 2:27 AM PDT

Ok - In Photoshop there is a create menu for cards and calendars etc. Sorry I didn't explain what I meant.

Well this is how things went.
In PE3.0 browser: File>Get Photos>From Files and Folders>ODBC data source error message

In PE3.0 edit: file>open> [got photo OK] strange thing though the photos I took and downloaded in July this year were named thus:
09May 001 etc to 09May 016. This means I have not lost the photos I thought I had which is good news.
In PE3.0 create: same error message

Now whole thing has closed with error code c0000005
Address: ed7d008

Have tried create again
Create>Card>OK>next step>add photo>save>same error message

Thank you for your advice about downloading photos to a temporary file. I have always just used "save as"

Many thanks for your help. Don't spend too much time on this. I guess it may be time to buy some new software.

Collapse -
Not much more help from me I fear.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 4:51 AM PDT

I don't use Photoshop, so I have no idea.

If you did copy those files from the camera to some folder on the hard disk, would Photoshop be able to create what you need then?

Another option. What if you uninstalled PE3.0 and then reinstalled it? I would reboot the computer after the uninstall, to finish of the uninstall process.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!