Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

The Obvious - So Hard to Find

by typvgs / January 22, 2008 12:05 AM PST

Hi there,

So, here's the thing: I want to listen to MP3s on my home stereo and NOT have a computer connected. In other words, I don't want to stream from a computer to my stereo. I could go into "why" but there are too many reasons to list. Mainly, inconvenience.

I also don't want an iPod type of device. I have no interest in listening to music "on the go" and the storage capacity of those devices is too small; and the audio connectors and quality is relatively poor.

Here's what I envision: a device the size of a DVD player that fits as a component on my stereo shelf. It has a display on the front similar to an iPod or such a device. On the back, it has a USB port where I can plug in a portable hard drive, such as a 500GB hard drive full of MP3s. It also has good quality connectors to connect to my amplifier.

Does such a device exist?

Cheers,
V

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The Obvious - So Hard to Find
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The Obvious - So Hard to Find
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why you don't see such in the retail stores.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 12:30 AM PST

Let's look at your usual MP3 file. I see an average 5 MB.

This means your 500GB drive could hold 100,000 songs. At Apple prices that's some 100,000 DOLLARS of songs. Even at 50 cents a song that's 50 grand of media so there is little reason to produce such a device.

Even so, if you do look at newegg.com you will find some media boxes that exist as well as other solutions. But just the sheer cost of the media makes such a system not viable for the retail market.

Bob

Collapse -
Sound Quality a Non-Issue Again
by typvgs / January 22, 2008 1:28 AM PST

I follow, and agree with, what you're saying. I hadn't thought of that.

Apple's encoding is shabby. 10MB per 5 minutes of music is quite reasonable---for good sound quality, encoded from the master. With surround sound and higher bit rates (e.g. 24 bits), that figure could easily be doubled.

I could encode all off the CDs I own and easily fill a 500 GB hard drive. I'm sure many people are in that boat.

Furthermore, I'm a musician with a project studio at home, and I could fill additional space with my own works.

I don't envision (ever) buying music from iTunes, and I don't think it's a good basis for analysis. Transferring already-purchased CDs, tapes and vinyl to MP3 (or similar format) at HIGH QUALITY is the better comparison. Filling a large hard drive would be easy for most people over the age of 30.

I would also look for high quality "audiophile" connectors on such a device.

Collapse -
Cost of Device
by typvgs / January 22, 2008 1:34 AM PST

The cost of such a device should be smallish. Playing digital audio and being able to read a USB 2.0 device does not require a lot of computing power. I would think that an entry-level device of the kind I'm talking about should cost US$100 or less.

Which devices on Newegg are you referring to, specifically?

Collapse -
Just one example
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2008 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Cost of Device
Collapse -
Idea
by travisb05 / January 23, 2008 9:07 AM PST

An xbox 360 might be a good option you can use media center extender which streams music from your computer or you can hook up the hard drive to one of usb ports and i think you can hook one up to your amplifier. I stream music when i play games so I would think thats a reasonable option.

Collapse -
XBOX
by typvgs / January 23, 2008 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Idea

Thanks for the tip.

I did notice that about the XBOX 360 when I was doing some research yesterday. More and more devices are starting to appear that can act as a USB host. One thing I found is a lot of DVD players are offering this now---even some portables. I could, for example, hook up a portable DVD player to my stereo amp and plug a hard drive in to it. Then, I'd have a screen for navigating the music folders. (My TV and music rooms are two different places.) But, I might wait. New MP3 players are coming out that will allow for attaching external hard drives. That would be ideal. I could have a 500 GB hard drive with all my music, play it thought the MP3 player to my amp, and then copy music to my player if I want to listen elsewhere. If the player has digital outs---fantastic.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!