The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

The nightmare of Intel

by jerry128 / July 17, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

Does anybody else find all the options of Intel chips really confusing? It doesn't help that they have products with (as TMV pointed out) redundant names like Core 2 duo and on top of that, they go by code names and then shipping names and which is which is beyond me, half the time. Which is Merom? Which is Conroe? Aren't there two Conroe variants? Which one is mobile versus desktop? What is Xeon? Wasn't there a Xenon (with an "N") last generation? I mean Jesus H! (sorry Keystroke).

-Kevin S.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: The nightmare of Intel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: The nightmare of Intel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's quite easy
by SantiagoCrespo / July 17, 2006 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: The nightmare of Intel

The most expensive one is the one you want but can't afford.
the one you can afford sucks, so you save money to afford a better one.
When you got the money to afford the better one, it has been phased out, at which point you say SCREW ALL OF THIS and buy and AMD

Silly

Collapse -
Ha
by jerry128 / July 17, 2006 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It's quite easy

Though that decision won't be as easy for a Mac user. I guess I should be happy that they will default to the fastest available and to be honest, we're used to paying for the premium for desktop machines*

-Kevin

* I feel it necessary to provide the disclaimer that I'm not saying Macs are more expensive than their PC counterparts since I'm always defending that argument. Computer for computer, (Apples to Apple) they match up quite competitively. I'm just acknowledging that Apple typically chooses to pick the higher end of components in their desktop machines so it will likely be whatever the faster/expensive chip is. The Xeon?

Collapse -
not the xeon
by SantiagoCrespo / July 17, 2006 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Ha

The Xeon is a ridiculously expensive processor, with ridiculously expensive memory exclusively inteded for Server Platforms (maybe the Apple servers will carry them), for the desktop my guess is they will go with a Core 2 Duo.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) except that core 2 duo is way faster than the best AMD ;)
by robstak / July 17, 2006 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: It's quite easy
Collapse -
Not to mention...
by shantanubala / July 17, 2006 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: The nightmare of Intel

Celeron, pentium, viiv, pentiun with htper threading, pentium M, pentium D, pentium extreme, and the list goes on....

Why can't Intel be a tiny bit more simple... Intel needs to be as simple as Apple Silly

Collapse -
That's kind of what I was hoping for
by jerry128 / July 17, 2006 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Not to mention...

We used to have the G3. Then a couple of years later the G4. Then a year or two later the G5. Happy But towards the end, IBM started getting as bad as Intel with the G5 this version and the G5 that version, though it's never been quite as bad.

I guess on the flip side, I'm hoping Intel can actually deliver chips, as opposed to Motorola and IBM CONSTANTLY underperforming what they promise. So, if that means getting used to a confusing chip family, so be it.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Apple will keep it simple.
by SantiagoCrespo / July 17, 2006 10:54 PM PDT

Apple will make you buy whatever it is they want to sell you, thus keeping it simple, since you can't choose which processor to put into the machine anyway.

Collapse -
And thankfully
by jerry128 / July 18, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

...those chips won't be from AMD. As it appears those chips have now become teh suck (to borrow a Veronica phrase) Happy

-Kevin S.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!